• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden administration resumes oil and gas leases on federal lands as gasoline prices soar

Chainsawmassacre

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
My first thought upon reading the headline was, great news! Biden has finally accepted the reality that we absolutely have to drill baby drill for the foreseeable future and his so called green energy agenda is literally up in smoke. Reading further into the article though I'm not so sure and this might be a PR-CYA stunt so he can tell people he's done all he can to lower gas prices while actually doing nothing. Time will tell I guess.

In a statement to Fox News regarding the decision, the American Petroleum Institute expressed concern over whether the move will add "new barriers to increasing energy production."

"U.S. energy resources are the envy of the world and a long-term strategic asset that strengthens our national security and fuels our economy," said Frank Macchiarola, senior vice president of policy, economics, and regulatory affairs for API. "We are pleased to see the Interior Department finally announce a restart to the long-delayed onshore leasing program required under the law, but we are concerned that this action adds new barriers to increasing energy production, including removing some of the most significant parcels."

My first thought upon reading the headline was, great news! Biden has finally accepted the reality that we absolutely have to drill baby drill for the foreseeable future and his so called green energy agenda is literally up in smoke. Reading further into the article though I'm not so sure and this might be a PR-CYA stunt so he can tell people he's done all he can to lower gas prices while actually doing nothing. Time will tell I guess.

In a statement to Fox News regarding the decision, the American Petroleum Institute expressed concern over whether the move will add "new barriers to increasing energy production."

"U.S. energy resources are the envy of the world and a long-term strategic asset that strengthens our national security and fuels our economy," said Frank Macchiarola, senior vice president of policy, economics, and regulatory affairs for API. "We are pleased to see the Interior Department finally announce a restart to the long-delayed onshore leasing program required under the law, but we are concerned that this action adds new barriers to increasing energy production, including removing some of the most significant parcels."

It's a mistake. Now he looks like he's admitting he was wrong to do it in the first place, and he wasn't.

Better late than never to realize that government doesn't solve problems in the economy, it only gets in the way. Hopefully this realization will stick.

Better late than never to realize that government doesn't solve problems in the economy, it only gets in the way. Hopefully this realization will stick.
Hopefully this death bed conversion is real.

It's a mistake. Now he looks like he's admitting he was wrong to do it in the first place, and he wasn't.

He was wrong and still is with this decision to put about 20% of federal lands previously available back into play - the catch is that the leasing cost was increased by 50% (which many might say is price gouging). A link with a few more details follows:

He was wrong and still is with this decision to put about 20% of federal lands previously available back into play - the catch is that the leasing cost was increased by 50% (which many might say is price gouging). A link with a few more details follows:

He was not wrong, but he is wrong to be backing up.

In that case, stop using your gasoline powered car and stop buying things since they are being brought in by trucks and container ships that are powered by... gasoline.
That's pretty much what he was saying.

Well there it is. PR-CYA-smoke and mirrors.

"major reduction in the number of acres offered and an increase in the royalties companies must pay to drill."

He was not wrong, but he is wrong to be backing up.

I understand that the green dream is to stop using fossil fuels, but to switch from X to Y requires that Y actually exists. Simply trying to make X more expensive and/or scarce does not do that.

Back
Top Bottom