• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Administration Formally Offers to Restart Nuclear Talks With Iran

jonny5

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Biden Administration Formally Offers to Restart Nuclear Talks With Iran - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

The first obstacle to restoring the deal may be a delicate political dance of who acts first. Mr. Blinken said this week that the Biden administration believed simply restoring the old deal was insufficient. He has other goals that include extending and deepening the agreement in an effort to rein in Iran’s growing missile ability and its continued support of terrorist groups and the Syrian government of Bashar al-Assad, issues that Iran has said are not on table.

You have to wonder how many times the world will be fooled by Iran. They signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty decades ago and immediately started violating it, and are a well known supported of terrorism against the US and others. They've kidnapped US citizens, they arrest and torture their own citizens, murder some of them, and we want to deal with them?
The last deal was a joke, giving them money to not pursue nukes they've agreed not to pursue, and everyone knows they just do it in secret anyway.

And here comes Biden to appease them again, maybe undoing the other peace in the middle east that was recently achieved.

Biden Administration Formally Offers to Restart Nuclear Talks With Iran - The New York Times (nytimes.com)

You have to wonder how many times the world will be fooled by Iran. They signed the nuclear non proliferation treaty decades ago and immediately started violating it, and are a well known supported of terrorism against the US and others. They've kidnapped US citizens, they arrest and torture their own citizens, murder some of them, and we want to deal with them?
The last deal was a joke, giving them money to not pursue nukes they've agreed not to pursue, and everyone knows they just do it in secret anyway.

And here comes Biden to appease them again, maybe undoing the other peace in the middle east that was recently achieved.
There does seem to be a belief system on the left when it comes to this kind of issue that any deal is a good deal.

The previous agreement prevented Iran from developing nuclear weapons and included surveillance and inspections, which Iran complied with. The IAEA confirmed compliance with the restrictions.

the US is going to have new problems with making treaties after the world has been reminded that a significant portion of the population will vote for megalomaniacal morons who could single handedly break the treaty if they choose to.

the US is going to have new problems with making treaties after the world has been reminded that a significant portion of the population will vote for megalomaniacal morons who could single handedly break the treaty if they choose to.
What treaty?

Hopefully Biden doesn't follow in the footsteps of the megalomaniacal moron who singlehandled entered into a nonbinding agreement.

An agreement with a theocratic country and authoritarian govt that proves to have slowed down progress towards building nuclear weaponry, however inevitable, is better than no agreement at all. It does not prevent us from doing what is necessary to prevent other action that would be considered terrorism or threaten our allies in the region based on what agreements we may have with them. It's good to see a prez that cares enough to get us back on track so quickly. Hopefully Iran isn't so peeved at us for what Trump did that they'll work with us like Kerry was able to have them do before.

Thankfully the EU held up their end of the deal

What treaty?

Hopefully Biden doesn't follow in the footsteps of the megalomaniacal moron who singlehandled entered into a nonbinding agreement.

"i know you are, but what am i" is a strategy made popular by Pee Wee Herman. it is not a political argument.

I hope they get a better deal with Iran this time around.

There does seem to be a belief system on the left when it comes to this kind of issue that any deal is a good deal.
Any deal is probably better than no deal or war.

The previous agreement prevented Iran from developing nuclear weapons and included surveillance and inspections, which Iran complied with. The IAEA confirmed compliance with the restrictions.

I am no Trump supporter. But I don't know about the above. I think I remember reading that even under the Obama treaty, they may have had underground research and development centers they were hiding from IAEA, somewhere under the mountains. These people are snakes. You really have to be very careful in dealing with them.

But with that being said, I know Biden has some good, smart people working for him. I am sure they are aware of the risks and limitations of any inspections.

I am no Trump supporter. But I don't know about the above. I think I remember reading that even under the Obama treaty, they may have had underground research and development centers they were hiding from IAEA, somewhere under the mountains.
If you can find that I'd be interested in reading it. For now I'm going with the IAEA opinion.

These people are snakes. You really have to be very careful in dealing with them.
Yup and the way to deal with a snake is to cage it. Trump destroyed the cage.

But with that being said, I know Biden has some good, smart people working for him. I am sure they are aware of the risks and limitations of any inspections.
Biden still has the stick to go with the carrot. If Iran wants their economy back they know what to do.

If you can find that I'd be interested in reading it. For now I'm going with the IAEA opinion.

"Besides its public denials, Iran does not appear to be fully cooperating with the IAEA’s investigation into the site. In his address to the IAEA Board of Governors on November 21, Feruta said that the investigation “remains unresolved” and urged Iran to comply with the agency’s inquiries. Rafeal Grossi, who took over from Feruta in December, said that the IAEA continues to question Iran about the site. But as of December 3, the agency had “not received an entirely satisfactory reply.” …

Satellite imagery suggests that Iran removed materials from the site after Israel announced in May 2018 that it had stolen archived documents detailing Iran’s past nuclear weapons program. Israel also alleged that Iran disposed of the radioactive material stored there and engaged in sanitization efforts.

It is not clear what specific steps Iran may have taken to sanitize the warehouse or if the steps were taken deliberately to prevent the IAEA from detecting what was stored at the site. It would have been extremely difficult for Iran to remove all evidence of radioactive materials at the site...

The origin of the material and when it was processed is unclear. The processed uranium may have been part of a clandestine operation that was subsequently stored at the warehouse after Tehran abandoned its nuclear weapons program in 2003. Iran was required to answer IAEA questions about its past nuclear weapons program before the JCPOA was fully implemented, but Tehran was not required to make a full disclosure about its illicit activities or destroy documentation of the program. Iran’s decision to retain documents and materials is not proof that it intends to pursue nuclear weapons.

However, if Iran processed any of the uranium found at the site after the JCPOA entered into effect in January 2016, it would have violated a requirement that the agency verify uranium ore produced and processed in Iran and monitor it.

In either case, the uranium raised questions about Iran’s conversion activities and full disclosure to the IAEA. Iran is required to cooperate fully with the IAEA’s investigation. Failure to comply will increase speculation that Iran is conducting illicit activities and intends to pursue nuclear weapons. "

An agreement with a theocratic country and authoritarian govt that proves to have slowed down progress towards building nuclear weaponry, however inevitable, is better than no agreement at all. It does not prevent us from doing what is necessary to prevent other action that would be considered terrorism or threaten our allies in the region based on what agreements we may have with them. It's good to see a prez that cares enough to get us back on track so quickly. Hopefully Iran isn't so peeved at us for what Trump did that they'll work with us like Kerry was able to have them do before.

I guess the question is how much are we willing to be extorted for with no lasting result. Iran, North Korea, same thing, we give them things, they make empty promises, 10 years laters, repeat, but in that time they incremented their threat.

Well at least and so far Biden has not exchanged love letters with the ayatollah.

I guess the question is how much are we willing to be extorted for with no lasting result. Iran, North Korea, same thing, we give them things, they make empty promises, 10 years laters, repeat, but in that time they incremented their threat.

Yeah sure. But now I'm going to play devil's advocate to the other side: was Trump's approach really the best way forward? Economic sanctions were going to get them to stop developing nukes? How would anyone know they were or were not complying? All you are doing is hurting the average people on the street who have no say in what their government is doing anyway. The current Iranian government cares as much for how much its people are hurting as the N. Koreans do about theirs. Sanctions did not stop the N. Korean leadership from developing their nukes. What makes you think it would stop the Iranian leadership?

Yeah sure. But now I'm going to play devil's advocate to the other side: was Trump's approach really the best way forward? Economic sanctions were going to get them to stop developing nukes? How would anyone know they were or were not complying? All you are doing is hurting the average people on the street who have no say in what their government is doing anyway. The current Iranian government cares as much for how much its people are hurting as the N. Koreans do about theirs. Sanctions did not stop the N. Korean leadership from developing their nukes. What makes you think it would stop the Iranian leadership?

I dont think there is a best approach. Certainly containing them makes more sense than bribing them. The real problem here, as always, is that the Parties and the UN prefer to play political power games instead of doing anything. They do just enough to say they did somethin, ideally that the other guy should have done, so they can win re-election. They never really accomplish anything.

Biden is repeating the same pattern. Blame someone else, then reverse everything they did, but never actually accomplish anything.

I think it was the other way around.. Iran signed the nuclear arms agreement in the 1950s in exchange for building a nuclear power plant.....and it was the US and Europe that reneged on the deal....owing Iran a lot of money. I don't recall Israel or any of the Arab states signing a nuclear arms agreement.

I dont think there is a best approach. Certainly containing them makes more sense than bribing them. The real problem here, as always, is that the Parties and the UN prefer to play political power games instead of doing anything. They do just enough to say they did somethin, ideally that the other guy should have done, so they can win re-election. They never really accomplish anything.

Biden is repeating the same pattern. Blame someone else, then reverse everything they did, but never actually accomplish anything.

That's fine. There is some truth to everything you say. But with all that being said, it sounds like you preferred Trump's approach. If so, why? Do you have any other alternatives?

I think it was the other way around.. Iran signed the nuclear arms agreement in the 1950s in exchange for building a nuclear power plant.....and it was the US and Europe that reneged on the deal....owing Iran a lot of money. I don't recall Israel or any of the Arab states signing a nuclear arms agreement.

They dont have to. Iran chose to, and has never abided by it because they know they can use the threat to extort others. Just look at what they say.

DUBAI (Reuters) - Iran will "immediately reverse" actions in its nuclear programme once U.S. sanctions are lifted, its foreign minister said on Friday, reacting coolly to Washington's initial offer to revive talks with Tehran aimed at restoring the 2015 nuclear deal.

Iran Reacts Coolly to U.S. Talk Offer, Demands Lifting of Sanctions | World News | US News

Same old stratgey. Extortion.

The last agreement with Iran was a really good agreement for everyone...

That's fine. There is some truth to everything you say. But with all that being said, it sounds like you preferred Trump's approach. If so, why? Do you have any other alternatives?

I prefer a global approach, but that would require people in power to have principles. Thats not Trump, thats not Biden, thats not the people in the UN. They dont care about human rights or nukes. Just re-election and political games.

The alterantive is for people to stop electing politicians who care about optics and instead elect people who put the security of their nations first.

Why should Iran trust the US when the US has reneged TWICE on nuclear arms agreements?

They shouldnt. And we should stop making deals. Thats the point. They should stop funding terrorism, imprisoning our citizens, murdering their own people and threatening the world. With no expectations from us or the world.

Back
Top Bottom