• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden Admin Weighing Shutting Down Oil Pipeline In Michigan

Perhaps if you had read the entire thread it would make sense to you. We are not as productive now as we were in 2019 because a lot of domestic production (around 8%) was shut down in response to the drop in demand and the bottoming out of prices due to Covid. OPEC, after a price war between Russia and the Saudis, curtailed its production as well. As the economy started back up, so has demand, but it takes time to restart wells. Notice also that there is no shortage of oil - no lines at the pump. It's prices that are high; that benefits producers.

Also, "need to go buy from Saudi" tells me that you don't understand how global a commodity oil is. We consume oil produced all over the world and sell oil all over the world. Right now, US producers are shipping a lot of LNG to Europe because they are having a cold winter and Russia has slowed the flow for political reasons.

Dipping into the strategic reserve is a political move. It's like 2 days worth of oil and doesn't impact prices.
and one more thing when Biden went to the Saudi's to increase production and try to keep prices from going up so fast the reason they said no was not even 6 or 8 months before Trump went to them and threatened to take their Military aid away if the didn't cut production and raise prices.
so they said no and that we needed to make up our minds on what we wanted and stick to it
Have a nice day

I wouldn't be surprised if Biden's Chinese handlers have a hand in this.
Or the Russians. He did pave the way for the Nord Stream 2 pipeline after all.....

I am not against pipelines and I don't think a lot of people are , most of what I have read about the pipeline Biden shut down is people were not happy with where they wanted to run it,
some people even said just run it next to the pipelines that they already had or let the Canadians build it to their west coast and not through the US.
it was running it over/ in / near the Aquifers that millions of people depend on for their fresh water to live.
and yes I think a tunnel would be the safest way to run a new oil pipeline through the largest fresh water source in the world
a source that millions and millions of people depend on

The Great Lakes span 4,530 miles 1 of coast and account for 21 percent of the world’s freshwater. More than 30 million people rely on the Great Lakes for drinking water—10 percent of the U.S. population and 30 percent of the Canadian population. 2 $8.8 Billion in Wages
Have a nice day
Pick any pipeline project and there’s people that don’t want it. The Biden Admin is legitimizing anti-pipeline views and are thus anti-pipeline

More disinformation from Conservative Treehouse? It's no surprise you are woefully uninformed. Try finding correct data and analysis from some oil and gas website and stay away from politically motivated sources.

1) Shutting down development of ANWAR has no impact on prices NOW. It is development (exploration and drilling) not production.
2) Same with the unfinished Keystone Pipeline.
3) There was a 60 day moratorium on new leases and drilling on federal lands. None of that would have come to market in any short time frame. Not to mention, the oil industry is sitting on millions of leased acres are sitting idle that could be drilled. So there is no shortage of available federal land to poke around on.
4) Again, the sale of energy leases has no impact on the amount of oil that can flow in the short term. Those leases need to be explored and drilled. That takes time time time.
5) Again, leases are not active wells. Pausing lease sales does nothing to short term prices.

The reasons for rising gas prices are easy to see. It's supply and demand.

1) Demand is rebounding as economic activity ramps up after the slowdown in 2020. This is true worldwide, not just in the US. European demand has also rebounded.
2) US oil production fell 8% in 2020. Prices were so low due to the pandemic that producers shut down wells at record rates.
3) As production declined so did stockpiles which peaked in July 2020 at 1.2 Billion bbl, and has fallen steadily since then, hitting a low of 1.03 Billion bbl in September 2021.
4) OPEC significantly curtailed output after a price war last year. The cartel is slow to ramp it back up. They, like US producers, benefit from higher prices. For exmaple, Russis has kept a tight rein on flows to Europe, keeping prices high.

Rrbounding demand, lower stockpiles, and a refusal by large producers to ramp up production quickly leads to higher prices. It's super simple and has nothing to do with anything Biden has done.
Blah blah blah. This is leftist justifying Biden raising gas prices. Apparently by leftist voodoo magic somehow canceling oil production doesn’t raise fuel prices, and I love the implication “well this won’t have an impact for ten years” so I guess stealing from the pockets of hardworking Americans ten years from now is suddenly ok.

Pick any pipeline project and there’s people that don’t want it. The Biden Admin is legitimizing anti-pipeline views and are thus anti-pipeline
well they finished pipeline 3 in the end of March after Biden took office and they just started to rebuild pipeline 5
doesn't look to anti - pipeline to me
and doing a search on drilling permits for oil and gas wells it doesn't look like Biden is too anti - oil and gas drilling

BILLINGS, Mont. — Approvals for companies to drill for oil and gas on U.S. public lands are on pace this year to reach their highest level since George W. Bush was president, underscoring President Joe Biden's reluctance to more forcefully curb petroleum production in the face of industry and Republican resistance.

The Interior Department approved about 2,500 permits to drill on public and tribal lands in the first six months of the year, according to an Associated Press analysis of government data. That includes more than 2,100 drilling approvals since Biden took office January 20.

Highest levels since GW Bush even higher then Trump
and 80million acres leased in the Gulf of Mexico
yep really looks like he is really anti drilling
have a nice day

well they finished pipeline 3 in the end of March after Biden took office and they just started to rebuild pipeline 5
doesn't look to anti - pipeline to me
and doing a search on drilling permits for oil and gas wells it doesn't look like Biden is too anti - oil and gas drilling

BILLINGS, Mont. — Approvals for companies to drill for oil and gas on U.S. public lands are on pace this year to reach their highest level since George W. Bush was president, underscoring President Joe Biden's reluctance to more forcefully curb petroleum production in the face of industry and Republican resistance.

The Interior Department approved about 2,500 permits to drill on public and tribal lands in the first six months of the year, according to an Associated Press analysis of government data. That includes more than 2,100 drilling approvals since Biden took office January 20.

Highest levels since GW Bush even higher then Trump
and 80million acres leased in the Gulf of Mexico
yep really looks like he is really anti drilling
have a nice day

He is really anti drilling. It really doesn’t matter if he approves permits or not, if he doesn’t publicly and enthusiastically support drilling and pipelines then he can be made to look like a leftist talking about the green agenda while stealing from the wallets of working Americans through high fuel prices and that will hurt him electorally

I'd like to suggest that you engage with more diligent and informative information sources, or the very least crosscheck what you read. This article is crafted specifically to create and further the idea that Biden in the pocket of environmentalists. It really gives no comprehensive picture of the situation.

This article makes only a passing effort at getting into the "why"" of shutting doesn the pipeline. It doesn't mention the age or condition of the pipeline, which was built in 1953 and is showing its age. It is also in one of the worst possible locations in the Great Lakes for a spill.

It also doesn't have any information - just insinuation - regarding the importance of Line 5 to supplying regional energy, and whether it's removal would actually raise prices or if other sources could take up the slack.

Finally, it doesn't mention local, non-environmental unhappiness with the line, that Enbridge was discovered in 2014 not to have been adhering to the spacing requirements for the support pylons, that numerous Michigan counties and municipalities have called for shutting down the pipeline. These are the people who live there and would be affected by both a spill and higher prices.
And ruin a good anti Biden rant? why would the OP or the sheep that piled on want to do that?

He is really anti drilling. It really doesn’t matter if he approves permits or not, if he doesn’t publicly and enthusiastically support drilling and pipelines then he can be made to look like a leftist talking about the green agenda while stealing from the wallets of working Americans through high fuel prices and that will hurt him electorally
If you say so
He didn't stop any drilling on already leased lands , he has now granted leases for more acres of Federal land then Obama or Trump and they opened a rebuilt pipeline and started a to rebuild another one
If anything he now looks quite pro oil and gas drilling and pipeline building and he people on the left should be POed
have a nice day

If you say so
He didn't stop any drilling on already leased lands , he has now granted leases for more acres of Federal land then Obama or Trump and they opened a rebuilt pipeline and started a to rebuild another one
If anything he now looks quite pro oil and gas drilling and pipeline building and he people on the left should be POed
have a nice day
It doesn’t matter, he doesn’t actively support drilling and his attempts to have it both ways with the environmentalists will hurt him. When was the last time Biden went to an opening ceremony of an oil project? Not while president

It doesn’t matter, he doesn’t actively support drilling and his attempts to have it both ways with the environmentalists will hurt him. When was the last time Biden went to an opening ceremony of an oil project? Not while president
Never heard of any other President doing that either.
and yes this kind of BS will hurt him
Talking out both sides of his mouth like Trump does should hurt him.
I never said he was either anti or for leasing and drilling on federal lands my point has always been He only " suspended " granting leases of federal lands not drilling on them if the land was already leased and that was over ruled by the courts and now he leasing everything in sight it looks like.
and he was only anti Keystone XL pipeline and not anti building new pipelines
Have a nice night

Never heard of any other President doing that either.
and yes this kind of BS will hurt him
Talking out both sides of his mouth like Trump does should hurt him.
I never said he was either anti or for leasing and drilling on federal lands my point has always been He only " suspended " granting leases of federal lands not drilling on them if the land was already leased and that was over ruled by the courts and now he leasing everything in sight it looks like.
and he was only anti Keystone XL pipeline and not anti building new pipelines
Have a nice night
Because he’s against oil, he should never have suspended new leases at all.

Revoking the permits for the [Line 5] pipeline that delivers oil from western Canada across Wisconsin, the Great Lakes and Michigan and into Ontario, would please environmentalists who have urged the White House to block fossil fuel infrastructure, but it would aggravate a rift with Canada and could exacerbate a spike in energy prices that Republicans are already using as a political weapon,” Politico Pro reported. “Killing a pipeline while U.S. gasoline prices are the highest in years could be political poison for Biden, who has seen his approval rating crash in recent months.”

The administration has not yet made a decision about the pipeline,
Sources told Politico Pro that the gathering of information on how shutting down the pipeline could impact fuel prices was only to give the Biden administration a clearer picture of the situation.
Gas prices need to go dramatically up in the United States... discouraging people from driving everywhere and buying cars that are not fuel efficient should be the goal.

Except when it comes to Russian pipelines. Then he's all for 'em!

But he’s not vocally pro oil and is not condemning the environmentalists
but the Government is leasing the most acres of federal lands of any President since GW and he hasn't been in office 1 year yet.
so if this is what he is going to do then the oil companies will not have to worry about land to drill on for over 14 years and seeing any leases that are producing oil almost get automatically renewed you can add another 10 years to them or more.
He is starting to look like he is really oil frindly not the other way around
have a nice night

but the Government is leasing the most acres of federal lands of any President since GW and he hasn't been in office 1 year yet.
so if this is what he is going to do then the oil companies will not have to worry about land to drill on for over 14 years and seeing any leases that are producing oil almost get automatically renewed you can add another 10 years to them or more.
He is starting to look like he is really oil frindly not the other way around
have a nice night
Ok, so what? That doesn’t refute anything I wrote

Blah blah blah. This is leftist justifying Biden raising gas prices. Apparently by leftist voodoo magic somehow canceling oil production doesn’t raise fuel prices, and I love the implication “well this won’t have an impact for ten years” so I guess stealing from the pockets of hardworking Americans ten years from now is suddenly ok.
Question to the peanut gallery: is it worth my time to respond to this post?

Back
Top Bottom