• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden adds hurdles to federal grants for charter schools, keeps promise to teachers unions

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
It looks like the Biden administration* has chosen to go to war with the nation's students and parents, on behalf of the teachers unions:

The Biden administration is set to impose new rules for federal education grants that critics say are designed to limit the growth of public charter schools.

The Department of Education proposed updated requirements that charter schools must meet to access the roughly $440 million in federal grants that are mostly used for start-up costs and implementing technology.

The new requirements help fulfill a campaign promise made by President Biden to rein in the nation’s growing network of charter schools. It was a promise that was backed by the nation’s teachers unions.

It looks like the Biden administration* has chosen to go to war with the nation's students and parents, on behalf of the teachers unions:

I've never been comfortable with charter schools in general, so this seems promising.

And hey, at least he's keeping one of this campaign promises.

About time! Way to go joe°!

YOU WANT A private school, pay yourself, don't use my money and spend it elsewhere.

YOU WANT A private school, pay yourself, don't use my money and spend it elsewhere.
Right, let those parents that can afford the extra funds get their children a decent education, who cares about poor kids? Apparently the answer is, neither the Biden administration* nor teachers unions.

It seems one more mistake from the Biden administration. Stop kids from having the ability to move from a failing school to a better one by slowing down charter schools formation.
Why not just fix the school instead of adding extra ones?

Right, let those parents that can afford the extra funds get their children a decent education, who cares about poor kids? Apparently the answer is, neither the Biden administration* nor teachers unions.
🤡

Public schools are more than adequate. The problem is not the schools, it is the culture in poor neighborhoods.

Look at the Palin's for example. They are not even poor but their culture is deplorable and the kids drop out and drug.

It's the culture, the family. Rich or poor. Not the public schools.

Why not just fix the school instead of adding extra ones?
How do you fix them? They have been failing for many years. Children should be able to leave a failing school and move to a better one. If your family is rich should not be the deciding factor.

Charter schools are not better than public schools. Some are good some are very bad.

🤡

Public schools are more than adequate. The problem is not the schools, it is the culture in poor neighborhoods.

Look at the Palin's for example. They are not even poor but their culture is deplorable and the kids drop out and drug.

Many public schools are a flaming disaster!! But evil people want to keep poor kids in failing schools! Shameful!

It looks like the Biden administration has chosen to go to war with the nation's students and parents on behalf of the teachers unions:

Since when have teacher unions been bad for students and parents?

Charter schools exist to bypass teacher union rules such as minimum wage and financial incentives for high student grades. They exist to make a profit, not to give children a better education than they would get in good public schools. Private schools are good if they only exist to educate kids better, such as the one my nephew goes to, and have no anti-union or bigoted agenda.

🤡

Many public schools are no where near adequate. They suck......

Because regulations, bureaucracy, and teachers unions get in the way. Plus, the lack of competition leads to poor quality, as is so often the case.
Then the regulations and bureaucracy need adjusted. And teachers unions if necessary, although I'm far less likely to believe they are the issue than the other factors involved.

Competition isn't the issue, the issue is inequality of funding source. It shouldn't be property taxes, and schools shouldn't be worse because the local area is poorer.

This is one thing I don't ****ing get, I've known since I was an idiot teenager that education was one of the most if not THE most important things to get right, and we have this mishmash shitshow of a system that fails way more kids than it should in some areas, whereas in others it's ****ing great. That's an unjust system and needs fixed at it's most basic level, but the problems are partially based in our history of racism, since that's why some areas had worse funding and probably why some racist bigots came up with the idea of property taxes funding schools in the first place.

****in short-sighted idiots.

May whatever god they believe in damn them to their deepest hell.

Since when have teacher unions been bad for students and parents?

Charter schools exist to bypass teacher union rules such as minimum wage and financial incentives for high student grades. They exist to make a profit, not to educate children better than they would in good public schools. Private schools are good if they only exist to educate kids better, such as the one my nephew goes to, and have no anti-union agenda.
The Teachers union look out for the teachers not the kids or parents. Look at the crap the unions did during COVID.

"Since when have teacher unions been bad for students and parents?"

How do you fix them? They have been failing for many years. Children should be able to leave a failing school and move to a better one. If your family is rich should not be the deciding factor.
I don't actually know, since I do not work as an educator of any sort.

I would say ask the teachers what they need to teach better, fire the ones who don't or won't, and go from there.

For ****s sake we have teachers buying school supplies with their own money in some places, clearly part of the issue is a lack of funding in some areas.

They protected kids during covid. Insisted the science be followed.
The trick some don't seem to understand about science is, that when applied correctly, it accepts from the start that it may be wrong, and works to find out if it is.

Which is why the more established conclusions such as how gravity works aren't even questioned anymore. Because they've been proven to work an untold number of times.

Right, let those parents that can afford the extra funds get their children a decent education, who cares about poor kids? Apparently the answer is, neither the Biden administration nor teachers unions.

Parents send kids to schools with a much better than decent education by not taking them to charter schools. There is absolutely no reason in the world charter schools should exist, period. Everything a kid needs to learn is in the public school district.

You need to stop reading The Washington Times. I(t is a far-right newspaper. Anything it says about the value of charter schools is a lie because only public schools have everything kids need for at least 13 years and are required to comply with teacher unions.

Last edited:
If the public schools are doing so well, then why do the New York charter schools have waiting lists measured in the tens of thousands? Why are Asian-heritage parents being more and more attracted to charter schools?

Then the regulations and bureaucracy need adjusted. And teachers unions if necessary, although I'm far less likely to believe they are the issue than the other factors involved.
Good luck with that, with all the vested interests that like things as they are. That's why it's easier to set up charter schools than fix the public schools. Personally, I think the best way to fix our broken school system is to let the money follow the student, and let parents spend that money on any school they choose--or no school if they choose to home school instead.

Competition isn't the issue, the issue is inequality of funding source. It shouldn't be property taxes, and schools shouldn't be worse because the local area is poorer.
The truth is that it doesn't really take that much money to provide adequate schooling. Utah is second to last in per-pupil spending ($8,014) while its students rank 6th in the nation in NAEP reading scores and 16th in the nation in NAEP math scores.

The trick some don't seem to understand about science is, that when applied correctly, it accepts from the start that it may be wrong, and works to find out if it is.

Which is why the more established conclusions such as how gravity works aren't even questioned anymore. Because they've been proven to work an untold number of times.
I agree.

Back
Top Bottom