• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Biden’s tax plan could create a tax rate of as much 62% for New Yorkers and Californians, studies show

joko104

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Biden’s tax plan could create a tax rate of as much 62% for New Yorkers and Californians, studies show

High earners in New York and California could face combined federal and state tax rates of 62% under Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s tax plan, according to experts.

Do you get to keep 38%% of your income? No, of course not.

You also have to pay 7.25% sales tax. You have to pay property taxes directly or indirectly thru rent. There are taxes on your utility bill. A tax on every gallon of gasoline. Recycle tax on a car battery and on new tires. Taxes on your phone bill and water bill. You pay a fee for your license plate. You pay a tax at toll roads. You pay to enter government parks.

If you get to keep 20 cents on the dollar it would be a miracle. Do you think ANYONE with a lot of money will actually be paying those taxes - either by tax exemptions or leaving the USA with their money? To deal with upper and middle class people fleeing their states, the federal government will force people in other states to pay the budgets of California and New York.

And there are things they want to force you to buy - like insurance. Force everyone to do so. You must buy from only one insurance company - the government - under the Democratic Party's nationalization of health insurance plan.

High earners in New York and California could face combined federal and state tax rates of 62% under Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden’s tax plan, according to experts.

You also have to pay 7.25% sales tax. You have to pay property taxes directly or indirectly thru rent. There are taxes on your utility bill. A tax on every gallon of gasoline. Recycle tax on a car battery and on new tires. Taxes on your phone bill and water bill. You pay a fee for your license plate. You pay a tax at toll roads. You pay to enter government parks.

If you get to keep 20 cents on the dollar it would be a miracle. Do you think ANYONE with a lot of money will actually be paying those taxes - either by tax exemptions or leaving the USA with their money? To deal with upper and middle class people fleeing their states, the federal government will force people in other states to pay the budgets of California and New York.

And there are things they want to force you to buy - like insurance. Force everyone to do so. You must buy from only one insurance company - the government - under the Democratic Party's nationalization of health insurance plan.
No one pays the highest stated rates. I'm not saying high taxes aren't a problem, just disputing the ridiculously high numbers being thrown around. If anyone *actually* pays 62% (which they do not ... as in, no one, none, nobody ever), I'll happily represent them for 50% of the savings I get them from their claimed 62%.

The top 1% will have to pay more taxes....boo hoo.

Who are the top 1%? They're mostly corporate CEO's, lawyers, doctors and investment managers. The other 99% are still waiting to get trickled on.

So I'm supposed to feel bad that these people are only able to take home a little more than half of only a little portion of these amounts?

Elon Musk earns $2B a year. He would still be taking home over a billion dollars even with such tax rates. Pretty much all these guys would be still earning more than my family (including adding in my inlaws' earnings, since they do live with us) makes in 10 years (and my husband and I earn well above the median income) in single year. Most people, most families won't earn anywhere close to these amounts in their lifetimes.

Or these people I'm supposed to feel bad for having to pay that?

If you make less than $400,000 a year, you won't be taxed.

Joe is just reversing Trump's tax cuts for the rich.

That, of course, ignores Joe’s desire to raise the FICA payroll tax cap from about $137K/year and to consider income from all sources as being subject to it. Another problem with Joe’s “10 year” plan is that he wants to raise federal revenue by about $2.8T and raise federal spending by at least $4T.

That, of course, ignores Joe’s desire to raise the FICA payroll tax cap from about $137K/year and to consider income from all sources as being subject to it. Another problem with Joe’s “10 year” plan is that he wants to raise federal revenue by about $2.8T and raise federal spending by at least $4T.
Source? And how is this exactly a problem?

Source? And how is this exactly a problem?

Hmm... how could increasing federal spending more than federal revenue be a problem?

Hmm... how could spending more than federal revenue be a problem?

My bad. Let me clarify. I was referring to the first part of the claim, about payroll taxes, not the second part.

His spending plan is based on a long term proposal for prosperity, actually planning and being proactive, rather than reactive to situations.

By 2050, however, the federal debt would fall by 6.1%, while the economy would increase by 0.8%. This is partly because some of Biden's spending proposals ramp down after the first decade and partly because his package would increase worker productivity.

My bad. Let me clarify. I was referring to the first part of the claim, about payroll taxes, not the second part.

His spending plan is based on a long term proposal for prosperity, actually planning and being proactive, rather than reactive to situations.

The Biden idea now seems to be to create a donut hole (break) in FICA payroll taxation between the SS cap (which increases annually) and $400K.

Most people don't understand how tax brackets work.

Most do not know that the bulk of the (80K pages of?) federal income tax code applies to how and upon who that income was later spent.

The Biden idea now seems to be to create a donut hole (break) in FICA payroll taxation between the SS cap (which increases annually) and $400K.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Please try to speak in layman terms, as what is posted above makes no sense to why his plan is going to be a problem. Pretty much it appears that you simply grabbed that word from the ThinkAdvisor article and ran with it as a description. When I open up that page, I get flooded with popups. Not going back.

Here is what other, less choppy sites say, using words people can actually understand and don't have to lookup because someone is being pompous in writing that article.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Please try to speak in layman terms, as what is posted above makes no sense to why his plan is going to be a problem. Pretty much it appears that you simply grabbed that word from the ThinkAdvisor article and ran with it as a description. When I open up that page, I get flooded with popups. Not going back.

Here is what other, less choppy sites say, using words people can actually understand and don't have to lookup because someone is being pompous in writing that article.

The bottom line is that Biden plans to increase federal spending more than federal taxation. Of course, Trump may be worse in that regard, but neither can do much about federal taxing or spending without the support (consent?) of congress critters.

I wish I only had to pay 7.25% sales tax. None of those taxes will go away under Trump.

The bottom line is that Biden plans to increase federal spending more than federal taxation. Of course, Trump may be worse in that regard, but neither can do much about federal taxing or spending without the support (consent?) of congress critters.
I'm not disagreeing with that. But Trump is worse, especially in that his tax cuts failed. The tax increases will help add money to the coffers. That is a fact. Adding spending should be done carefully, but even businesses see the need to increase spending in a short term to plan for the future, to reduce costs or improve the future outcome or direction of the company. Short term spending for long term savings and benefits.

In my opinion, Trump is also worse in what he wants to spend money on. His goals have been to help the rich. We see that in farm subsidies going to large farming corporations. We see that in trying to get money to build the wall (including rerouting money that was never meant for that but will eventually have to be made up for). It includes spending insane amounts of money at his properties.

He is taking money from taxpayers to pay for the problems that others said would come from his tariffs.

He is still asking for money for the border wall as well as the money to pay back what he stole from military morale projects.

And here is some info on how much he costs us for his and his family's protection, including for Trump business trips that have nothing to do with the actual Presidency itself.

In 2017, Fox reported on Obama's expenses, getting "huffy" over 1.1M being spent. Trump spends more than that on trips to his own resorts each year.

I can't believe how many shitty people feel entitled to what other people earn. I take my hat off to the rich and say god bless their ingenuity. I get lots don't work that much but then god bless their good luck. Instead of pointing guns at people to take their money, how about throw away the envy, point your eyes at them and emulate what they do.

If you make less than $400,000 a year, you won't be taxed.

Joe is just reversing Trump's tax cuts for the rich.

But only partially, half-way, reversing the corp tax rates under which before corp after-tax profits were record high under Obama.

A shrinking donut hole. His plan isn't indexed. Every year it takes a bigger bite out of the middle class.

In addition, the huge increase does little to nothing to fix social security's funding problem. It extends the solvency date by just 5 years.

One of the first things an all-Democrat Congress would do is force the rest of us to subsidize these high-tax blue state.

If we could confine it to those places, it would be awesome. However I don't want to pay 25% more for a third less electricity so I will pass.....

You sure do have a lot of complaints for the country you love. Maybe you should move to a place more to your liking?

Warren Buffett will be devastated.

I'm not being snotty here, do you think politicians care about our debt? I don't. They just gave a huge tax break to the super wealthy and corporate america without blinking an eye and guess who pays in the end for the shortfall in revenue?

I'm ALWAYS amused when the government pencil necks think they will outsmart the folks that got rich by being smarter than the average bear.

OF COURSE people are moving away from usury tax rate states. Thinking people will not is nothing less than astonishing stupidity or astonishing hubris.

Back
Top Bottom