• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biden’s corporate tax plan is simple, yet revolutionary.

What does anything you posted have to do with a international corporate tax?
I cannot find your similar challenge or objection to this.:

Horseshit My family became wealthy long before the abomination of the 16th amendment was foisted on the US public by scummy progressives.

This thread began with :

EDUCATE THEM FREE, GRATIS AND FOR NOTHING!

From here: Biden's Corporate Tax Plan

Excerpt: .."If countries want to compete to attract multinationals, it will have to be on quality of infrastructure or education of the workforce – things that citizens also value. US backing means this may actually happen."..

I wonder if the authors were reading some of my posts on this forum?

Nah ......

I emphasized in my post that, until Reagan became governor of California, tuition-free, higher education was the norm.
I presented a well supported argument that, since tuition-free, higher education was done away with, the U.S. has lost its
predominant, middle class. Debt is put on the backs of the have-nots while wealth becomes increasingly, acutely concentrated.

Last edited:
And YOU explain what is a "benign comparison"?

They are damn few when in come to discussing Income Disparity in the US .... !
Comparing a global corporate tax to a tariff is a benign (harmless) comparison. They are synonyms.

They also do not affect income disparity in any direct sense of the concept. Perhaps you can argue that if the money collected went more to the poor than the rich it could be argued that it is being used to create some sort of parity but thats a strenuous argument at best.

This thread began with :
How the money collected is separate from my comparison. Tariffs can be used to fund schools too. Call it a global tax or a tariff, they are both basically the same thing.

How the money collected is separate from my comparison. Tariffs can be used to fund schools too. Call it a global tax or a tariff, they are both basically the same thing.

A tariff is a tax on foreign goods. Taxing profits at a global level isn't comparable to a tariff, as it is variable tax rate across the corporate spectrum.

The real question: why is it so important for you to defend your error?

At present, the official poverty rate in 2019 was 10.5 percent, down 1.3 percentage points from 11.8 percent in 2018. See here the history-graphic of the number of families that live below the Poverty Threshold!

Now YOU explain here why the Poverty Rate should exist at all in a country as rich as the US!

If we were to presume a perfectly egalitarian distribution of income 10.5% of the population would receive 10.5% of the nation's income. That isn't the case of course, that's why this class is considered poor. I don't have a problem with taxes to mitigate the necessities imposed by poverty. Indeed I am perfectly willing to contribute 15% of my income for that specific purpose, which is far more than the 10.5% would be entitled to.

But we're talking about demands for more than HALF.

How to Debate Libertarians on Taxes — And Destroy Them

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/07/libertarian-taxation-property-rights/
"On this Tax Day, it's worth remembering that the first federal income taxes in the United States were imposed to fund the war to break the power of the planter class and free 3.9 million slaves. This was witho

How to Debate Libertarians on Taxes — And Destroy Them

https://jacobinmag.com/2020/07/libertarian-taxation-property-rights/
"On this Tax Day, it's worth remembering that the first federal income taxes in the United States were imposed to fund the war to break the power of the planter class and free 3.9 million slaves. This was without a doubt the deepest and most important advance in human freedom enabled by taxation thus far but it won't be the last."

1619528342920.png

An income tax was imposed, yes. Did it 'fund' the war. No. The war was funded primarily by tariffs and other taxes. In fact issuing debt was the most important factory. The income tax was so negligible that it didn't even register as an independent line item.​

Yes, somewhat - but So What?

If people at the bottom are struggling to "just get along". (If you were responsible for supporting a family of four on less than $25K a year of income, then you'd know better. But you don't!)

But a family of 4 at $25k does in fact get welfare. Specifically subsidized housing, food and medical care.

Their needs actually are taken care of because they are POOR.

Poor people SHOULD get welfare and in the US, they do.

But a family of 4 at $25k does in fact get welfare. Specifically subsidized housing, food and medical care.

Nothing can mitigate the crisis of acute wealth concentration in the U.S. except ballots or bullets achieving their intended effect.
To deny this is to deny history's lessons. Progressive taxation, aggressive IRS enforcement, and this have proven to grow a vibrant middle class in the last century.

"Subsidized housing" cannot meet demand as wealth concentration and housing prices rise, middle class declines...

Let this sink in! :

During the Trump presidency the per capita national debt increase was $21,148. ($7 trillion divided by 331 million U.S. population.) The majority of U.S. residents are burdened by an dramatically increased per capita share of the $7 trillion increased national debt since Trump was sworn in to office in 2017, than any cumulative income or wealth gain they've experienced since January, 2017.

Between October 1, and December 31, 2020 the wealth of the top one percent of U.S. households increased by $2.43 trillion ($734,000 per capita, each of 3.31 million in top one percent of pop.) and the wealth of the bottom fifty percent increased by $0.13 trillion. IOW, in fourth qtr., 2020, the wealth increase of the top one percent was 18.7 times the increase of the bottom 50 percent, or $787 per capita - $0.13 trillion divided by 165 million residents.

The Fed - Distribution: Distribution of Household Wealth in the U.S. since 1989

The Federal Reserve Board of Governors in Washington DC.

www.federalreserve.gov

FedWealthDistInTrillions3rdQ2020.jpg

FedWealthDistInTrillions4thQ2020.jpg

MOST PRECARIOUS LIVES

Yeah, right. A family of four living on $25K a year (or less) in the US is doing just fine!!!

You are stating factoid without providing the slightest proof of what you say! For your edification start here: The Bottom 1%

Excerpt:
A lot of research and writing explores the dynamics of the richest one percent, .1 percent, and even the .01 percent. But researchers only have the fuzziest understanding of America's poorest.

How is it different to be poor—very poor—in a developing country than in the richest country in the world? That's the question asked in a new paper from Brookings researchers Laurence Chandy and Cory Smith.

To answer it, Chandy and Smith needed to know more about that very bottom of America's wealth distribution—those living below the global poverty line of $2 per day. Not so easy: In contrast with how well-documented, how legible, the lives of the richest Americans are, those of the poorest are opaque, having fallen between the cracks in researchers' databases. The poorest are "the least explored and understood part of the distribution."
But that's only true for rich countries. In the developing world, precisely the opposite is the case: In such places, they write, "tax systems are insufficiently developed to provide an accurate portrayal of the rich so the upper tail remains largely unknown; by contrast the concentration of incomes near zero means
that surveys capture the lower tail relatively well."

The result of this is that "we know least about the top of the distribution in poor countries and least about the bottom of the distribution in rich countries." Unfortunately, in America, that means we have the worst understanding of "those whose lives are most precarious."

Last edited:
If we were to presume a perfectly egalitarian distribution of income 10.5% of the population would receive 10.5% of the nation's income. That isn't the case of course, that's why this class is considered poor. I don't have a problem with taxes to mitigate the necessities imposed by poverty. Indeed I am perfectly willing to contribute 15% of my income for that specific purpose, which is far more than the 10.5% would be entitled to.

But we're talking about demands for more than HALF.

This is a "debate" forum not a message board!

The burden of proof is upon those who make a statement - and particularly when they offer no substantiating argumentation based upon factual-evidence of what they contend ...

Nothing can mitigate the crisis of acute wealth concentration in the U.S. except ballots or bullets achieving their intended effect.
To deny this is to deny history's lessons. Progressive taxation, aggressive IRS enforcement, and this have proven to grow a vibrant middle class in the last century.

Excellent point! Of course, we prefer the ballots over bullets.

But, also, let's not forget an important historical fact. Donald Dork, one of the worst presidents in history, almost won reelection with nearly half the vote. What does this indicate.

To me, it indicates to what extent the American public is utterly devoid of any good, common sense. The first to start the downward slope of upper-income taxation was (of all people) the extremely rich-but-popular John Kennedy. History of upper-income taxation:
34553ea0-e37a-4da5-abe0-aa5b1af39862.JPG

John-John Kennedy was the first to reduce them - to please his father who had "arranged" Mafia-money in Chicago to help finance his campaign. The upper-rates came down from 90 to 70%. Which effectively triggered a mad-rush to obtain upper-income liquidity.

Then along came an "actor" who reduced them even further (in 1980) to 50%. And, of course, even that was not enough! Six presidents ago, Ronnie RayGun (PotUS, 1981/1989), reduced seriously upper-income taxation once again from 70 to just-less than 30%! (Since when, in 1994, Billy-boy Clinton put them back up a bit.)

Now somebody tell me how this decent in upper-income taxation was UNPOLITICAL in nature, and not a means to obtain presidential-election funding (from the top of the income bucket)!

PotUSes playing with Upper-income Taxation in order to fund their reelection campaigns! What a laugh!

PS: And where has the remaining money been going? See it here. Yes, the biggest-chunk (50%) of the total still goes to the DoD. When (supposedly) the world is at piece and Uncle Sam is avoiding other wars. (Likely because of Covid!!! ;^)

THE DEEP HOLE OF FEDERAL TAXATION

Excellent point! Of course, we prefer the ballots over bullets.

But, also, let's not forget an important historical fact. Donald Dork, one of the worst presidents in history, almost won reelection with nearly half the vote. So, what does that indicate?

To me, it shows to what extent the American public is utterly devoid of any good, common sense. The first to start the downward slope of upper-income taxation was (of all people) the extremely rich-but-popular John Kennedy. History of upper-income taxation:
34553ea0-e37a-4da5-abe0-aa5b1af39862.JPG

John-John Kennedy was the first to reduce them - supposedly to please his father who had "arranged" Mafia-money in Chicago to help finance his campaign. The upper-rates came down from 90 to 70%. Which effectively triggered a mad-rush to obtain upper-income liquidity.

Then along came an "actor" who reduced them even further (in 1980) to 50%. And, of course, even that was not enough! Six presidents ago, Ronnie RayGun (PotUS, 1981/1989), reduced seriously upper-income taxation once again from 70 to just-less than 30%! (Since when, in 1994, Billy-boy Clinton put them back up a bit.)

Now somebody tell me how this descent in upper-income taxation was UNPOLITICAL in nature, and not a means to obtain presidential-election funding (from the top of the income bucket)!

PotUSes playing with Upper-income Taxation in order to fund their reelection campaigns! Berk ... !

PS: And where has the remaining money been going? See that here. Yes, the biggest-chunk (50%) of the total still goes to the DoD. When (supposedly) the world is at peace and Uncle Sam is avoiding other wars. (For the moment! ;^)

Last edited:
A tariff is a tax on foreign goods. Taxing profits at a global level isn't comparable to a tariff, as it is variable tax rate across the corporate spectrum.

The real question: why is it so important for you to defend your error?
If it makes you feel better to call it a global tax, have at it. It makes no never mind to me. But to say I am in error is really quite absurd.

Taxing corporations for trading across international borders and calling it a global tax is just a tariff by another name but if it makes you feel better to give it another name, by all means...

The bottom line is if they are set correctly Tariffs benefit everyone either directly or indirectly.

This is a "debate" forum not a message board!

The burden of proof is upon those who make a statement - and particularly when they offer no substantiating argumentation based upon factual-evidence of what they contend ...

No its a message board and a peanut gallery at that. If you want to go and write a dissertation somewhere feel free.

MOST PRECARIOUS LIVES

Yeah, right. A family of four living on $25K a year (or less) in the US is doing just fine!!!

You are stating factoid without providing the slightest proof of what you say! For your edification start here: The Bottom 1%

Excerpt:

I didn't say they were doing 'just fine' I said that they were poor and were able to qualify for public assistance. That IS a factoid and its hardly a controversial one in the US, they most obviously qualify for Medicaid in every state I am aware of, EBT/food stamps, housing subsidies and also EIC.

These are things I shouldn't need to prove. I live here and have been for decades, you live in France and have no intuitive sense for anything that would happen here.

If it makes you feel better to call it a global tax, have at it. It makes no never mind to me. But to say I am in error is really quite absurd.

Taxing corporations for trading across international borders and calling it a global tax is just a tariff by another name but if it makes you feel better to give it another name, by all means...

The bottom line is if they are set correctly Tariffs benefit everyone either directly or indirectly.

Continuing to repeat your defeated argument isn't going to change the outcome.

It makes no difference to me... if you were to call income-taxes income-tariffs... but in this situation, you've backed yourself up against a wall and refuse to adhere to terminology purely on the basis of narcissism.

Back
Top Bottom