• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Biblical Fairness and Justice

Logician Man

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
Many verses in the Bible declare the Biblical God to be "Fair and Just." For those who believe this to be 'Truth", tell us what is "Fair and Just" about killing first borns or sending two bears to maul a bunch of young human beings, simply for mocking a bald man.....Thanks...

Many verses in the Bible declare the Biblical God to be "Fair and Just." For those who believe this to be 'Truth", tell us what is "Fair and Just" about killing first borns or sending two bears to maul a bunch of young human beings, simply for mocking a bald man.....Thanks...

God works in mysterious ways. I assume that the largest genocide in the Bible was the great flood - allegedly killing all humans (possibly sparing a few lucky mountain climbers?) and (land) animals except for those taken aboard Noah’s boat.

Was that fair and just? Only God can judge. ;)

Last edited:
Many verses in the Bible declare the Biblical God to be "Fair and Just." For those who believe this to be 'Truth", tell us what is "Fair and Just". . . . .
What is Fair and Just?

Ask the Canaanites.

Are you talking about the kids who mocked Elisha after Jeroboam's Revolt?

The key is understanding how Elisha was not just some ordinary man. He was a prophet who was concerned about how Beelzebub was being consulted during Moab's rebellion against Israel. If you know anything about Moab, then you know it's an incredible source of sin.

The idea of mocking a prophet in such contentious times is utterly outrageous.

The idea of mocking a prophet in such contentious times is utterly outrageous.>>>
Be that as it may, why would a "fair and just" God send two bears to maul kids, simply for mocking a bald man/prophet in "such contentious times"? We live in "contentious times" in 2022. What does the time frame have to do with the deed? And to address the other deed mentioned in the OP, what is "fair and just" about killing so many first borns for action(s) they had nothing to do with?

Last edited:
Be that as it may, why would a "fair and just" God send two bears to maul kids, simply for mocking a bald man in "such contentious times"? We live in "contentious times" in 2022. What does the time frame have to do with the deed? And to address the other deed mentioned in the OP, what is "fair and just" about killing so many first borns for action(s) they had nothing to do with?
You realize I'm using that phrase as an understatement, right?

Again, Elisha was a prophet, Beelzebub was consulted in who was worshiped as a demon, and Moab was a source of sin rebelling among the northern tribes. Severe and swift punishment is fairly justified there.

If you're talking about the plagues in Egypt, then you have to consider the oppression going on at the time which the Pharaoh was compelling those who were supposed to be his guests to go through.

Understand this is the Old Testament we're talking about as well. Things change by the time of Jesus when he fulfills the law to appreciate how grace comes first.

You realize I'm using that phrase as an understatement, right?

Again, Elisha was a prophet, Beelzebub was consulted in who was worshiped as a demon, and Moab was a source of sin rebelling among the northern tribes. Severe and swift punishment is fairly justified there.

If you're talking about the plagues in Egypt, then you have to consider the oppression going on at the time which the Pharaoh was compelling those who were supposed to be his guests to go through.

Understand this is the Old Testament we're talking about as well. Things change by the time of Jesus when he fulfills the law to appreciate how grace comes first.
"Things change", God "changes", or both?

"Things change", God "changes", or both?
The idea of the New Testament is God realized how choosing Jews to bring light unto nations wasn't working. Another method was needed for people to achieve salvation. That method was through the grace of the death of Jesus.

The idea of the New Testament is God realized how choosing Jews to bring light unto nations wasn't working. Another method was needed for people to achieve salvation. That method was through the grace of the death of Jesus.
Doesn't the Bible claim God is "Omniscient" ( all knowing/knowing everything )? If one believes this to be 'truth', how did God not know "choosing Jews to bring light unto nations wasn't working/wouldn't work" before "choosing the Jews to bring light unto nations......."? Your post above, to me, clearly seems to imply God made a mistake, which is non-biblical.

Last edited:
God works in mysterious ways. I assume that the largest genocide in the Bible was the great flood - allegedly killing all humans (possibly sparing a few lucky mountain climbers?) and (land) animals except for those taken aboard Noah’s boat.

Was that fair and just? Only God can judge. ;)
God does not exist and neither did the great flood so everything after that is opinion.

Doesn't the Bible claim God is "Omniscient" ( all knowing/knowing everything )? If one believes this to be 'truth', how did God not know "choosing Jews to bring light unto nations wasn't working/wouldn't work" before "choosing the Jews to bring light unto nations......."? Your post above, to me, clearly seems to imply God made a mistake, which is non-biblical.
I said realize, not know.

Salvation is a process, not an event.

I said realize, not know.

Salvation is a process, not an event.
Well, XDU, we are really not discussing "salvation." The OP is about deeds perpetrated by the Biblical God, and whether, or not, some of those 'deeds' are "fair and just." Same applies to being "Omniscient." So I'm going to put both of those biblical issues on the back burner for this particular thread topic.

Last edited:
God will one day end my earthly life and yours as well, It could even happen tonight .
How is that any more/less fair ?
Whether we are given 1day of earthly life or 100 years , it still adds up to an entire lifetime lived for each person.
Ultimately it came from God in the first place and he reserves the right to claim it as he pleases.
I accept that, even though at times it can be painful.

Well, XDU, we are really not discussing "salvation." The OP is about deeds perpetrated by the Biblical God, and whether, or not, some of those 'deeds' are "fair and just." Same applies to being "Omniscient." So I'm going to put both of those biblical issues on the back burner for this particular thread topic.
What's the difference? God does what he does to save humanity.

What's the difference? >>>
You don't know the differences in the concept of "fair and just"----"Salvation"----and being "Omniscient" ?

You don't know the differences in the concept of "fair and just"----"Salvation"----and being "Omniscient" ?
From a divine perspective, there is no difference. God's all knowing capacity would coincide with knowing how salvation is to be achieved, and God's sense of fairness and justice would be applied to the process of salvation.

God will one day end my earthly life and yours as well, It could even happen tonight .
How is that any more/less fair ?
Whether we are given 1day of earthly life or 100 years , it still adds up to an entire lifetime lived for each person.
Ultimately it came from God in the first place and he reserves the right to claim it as he pleases.
I accept that, even though at times it can be painful.
The old "It's his creation, he can do as he damn well pleases with his creation." You accept it, although it can be painful. I reject as it is as I find it therapeutic to call a 'spade a spade', so to speak, and not try to rationalize such brutal atrocities. Different strokes for different folks, I presume.

From a divine perspective, there is no difference. God's all knowing capacity would coincide with knowing how salvation is to be achieved, and God's sense of fairness and justice would be applied to the process of salvation.
Again. The OP/Thread topic is 'not' about "salvation." If you'd like to discuss salvation, please start another thread, and we can discuss salvation in a salvation themed thread.

Again. The OP/Thread topic is 'not' about "salvation." If you'd like to discuss salvation, please start another thread, and we can discuss salvation in a salvation themed thread.
How does fairness and justice matter without salvation?

You're nitpicking at a topic.

How does fairness and justice matter without salvation? >>>
Some people don't believe in, nor concern themselves with/about salvation, but they do care about what is "fair and just."

Some people don't believe in, nor concern themselves with/about salvation, but they do care about what is "fair and just."
When we say something is fair, someone is saved from unfairness. When we say something is just, someone is saved from injustice.

When we say something is fair, someone is saved from unfairness. When we say something is just, someone is saved from injustice.
Who is "we"? ( just for clarity )

Back
Top Bottom