• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bible literacy in public schools?

independentusa

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
https://www.foxnews.com/faith-value...hing-bible-literacy-classes-in-public-schools
It seems that several states are going to offer so called bible literacy in their public schools. They say because it is not a required, it does not create a problem with the separation of church and state. I wonder what would happen if someone pushed for teaching Koran literacy in these same states? I do not think this is a good idea. First, I am a Catholic and a church trustee so I have no problem with religion. If you want to teach your religion at church or school, that is fine with me and a good idea. To teach it as a course in our public schools and have those teaching it paid by tax payers to me makes it a state sponsored religion even if it is not a mandatory class. I know the evangelicals want to make Christianity the US religion, but that violates everything our forefathers fought against and a major reason many of them came to this country in the first place. So do you think that this is a good idea? Another thought, which version of the bible?

https://www.foxnews.com/faith-value...hing-bible-literacy-classes-in-public-schools
It seems that several states are going to offer so called bible literacy in their public schools. They say because it is not a required, it does not create a problem with the separation of church and state. I wonder what would happen if someone pushed for teaching Koran literacy in these same states? I do not think this is a good idea. First, I am a Catholic and a church trustee so I have no problem with religion. If you want to teach your religion at church or school, that is fine with me and a good idea. To teach it as a course in our public schools and have those teaching it paid by tax payers to me makes it a state sponsored religion even if it is not a mandatory class. I know the evangelicals want to make Christianity the US religion, but that violates everything our forefathers fought against and a major reason many of them came to this country in the first place. So do you think that this is a good idea? Another thought, which version of the bible?

"Bible literacy" doesn't sit right with me. Comparative religion sits just fine, provided it's taught non-dogmatically and non-judgmentally.

We already had this thread this week.

"Bible literacy" doesn't sit right with me. Comparative religion sits just fine, provided it's taught non-dogmatically and non-judgmentally.

When has that ever happened in circumstances like these

Christian groups getting this stuff into school

You mean republicans. The same party who cries about big government and regulations. They would love to force christianity on america. Look at pence, in my opinion he is everything wrong with a so-called 'religious' person. How can anyone who claims to be any kind of 'christian' support this vile man we now have as president? How?

When has that ever happened in circumstances like these

What exactly are "circumstances like these?"

Christian groups getting this stuff into school

Blue:
Boy, you don't like to compose clear and precise statements, do you? What are you? The "Raja of Relative Pronouns?" The "Viscount of Vagueness?" This now your second reply to me wherein what exactly you are referring to is unclear.
  • Circumstances like these
  • That ever happened
  • This stuff
Perhaps you didn't notice that my post to which you replied contains two subjects to which your relative pronouns (these, that and this) and vague noun (stuff) may refer: (1) bible literacy and (2) comparative religion.

I have no idea of which point you're attempting to communicate, and I'm well aware that schools of varying stripes -- public, private non-sectarian and private sectarian -- offer one, the other or both genres of religion class.

I actually wanted my kids to learn about religions - all religions - in school. But for the historical value, not from a religious perspective.

How can you fully understand 9/11 if you don't understand Muslim teachings? How can you understand why this country was founded if you don't understand what happened in 17th century England? and so on

I actually wanted my kids to learn about religions - all religions - in school. But for the historical value, not from a religious perspective.

How can you fully understand 9/11 if you don't understand Muslim teachings? How can you understand why this country was founded if you don't understand what happened in 17th century England? and so on

Pastafarianism strangely absent from the books. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom