• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bias: Who cares?

pwo

Reaction score
I have just come to relize something. What does it matter, if a news place is bias. We all know which news stations are bias, and towards whom. So, we can all make our own choices of what to watch. We have already formed opinions about issues, and nothing that people like Chirs Mattews says will change anything about it. People suggest that if people watch a bias network, it will promote extremism. So, if you are a liberal I suggest that you watch liberal channels 70% of the time and Fox News 30% of the time. This way you will get to see the news the way you like it, but you will also get to hear the other side of the story. Every story has two sides to it, the right and left.

One might ask, what about kids that watch a bias station and are impressionable? First off, kids don't watch the news. Second off, if kids watch the news it will most likely be what there parents watch. And kids most off the time are impressed by their parents and have the same view as them anyways. So it doesn't matter.

I think news channels should just straight up admit that they are biased because people already know. But this way people can be proud to support their stations. Think about it:
CBS News: Proud supporters of Howard Dean
Fox News: TV for the Conservative American
CNN: F*** You Right Wingers

It would be great!

I have just come to relize something. What does it matter, if a news place is bias.
They aren't just biased, they have become propaganda machines for the left. I get tired of people lying and distorting what Republicans say and do. I get tired of the constant Bashing of our Country and our President. I get tired of a whining bunch of liberal snobs in the main stream media making up stories to fit their agenda. I want to know when I listen to the "news" it isn't something fabricated to make our President look bad. I want to turn on a radio channel without hearing some nut case screaming "shut up, Bitch" just because they don't like republicans. Right wingers do some of this too, but most of it comes from the left.

News is biased because it's run by people that are biased. Unless we want robots giving us our news, we will have to live with some form of bias in our news, whether liberal or conservative.

Squawker said:
They aren't just biased, they have become propaganda machines for the left. I get tired of people lying and distorting what Republicans say and do. I get tired of the constant Bashing of our Country and our President. I get tired of a whining bunch of liberal snobs in the main stream media making up stories to fit their agenda. I want to know when I listen to the "news" it isn't something fabricated to make our President look bad. I want to turn on a radio channel without hearing some nut case screaming "shut up, Bitch" just because they don't like republicans. Right wingers do some of this too, but most of it comes from the left.

how bout oreilly telling guest to shut up, you like that? how bout limbaugh calling liberals idiots who know nothing when in fact, at least most of them make logical arguments. how bout that.

how bout we don't take things at face value that is said by government. how bout we be responsible citizens and question the actions, because you know what we call a place iwth no dissent and questioning? A DICTATORSHIP, but hey, you would love that with bush in charge.

how bout fox not being a conduit for everything that comes out of the bush administration by just repeating and not doing any investigative reporting.

how bout that.

ShamMol said:
how bout oreilly telling guest to shut up, you like that? how bout limbaugh calling liberals idiots who know nothing when in fact, at least most of them make logical arguments. how bout that.

I believe he told Al Franken to shutup at a LA book fair.

On Location at the Los Angeles Book Fair
[To Al Franken]: "Hey, shut up! You had your 35 minutes! Shut up!"
—June 1, 2003

He told a guest to shutup after some very heated debate and no quite so "logical" arguments coming from the left. Source

Limbaugh is entertainment. It is interesting how the "left" realizes that Al Franken is entertainment, but cannot see the light when it is reversed.

at least most of them make logical arguments

Saying most libs make logical arguments is like saying most cons make logical arguments. Somehow, I believe you would disagree with the latter. This is an opinion that cannot be proven and illogical in itself.

The big problem with a bias in the news is that it because more opinion than news. News is vital to a healthy government and should be one of the balances to keep it in check. Having to constantly separate the wheat from the chaff creates a confused populace. If I hear incredulous news from one source that I know has a strong bias like WorldNetDaily or Air America, I take that info with a grain of salt until I can verify its accuracy. (Case in point, there's a thread out here where it was saying that Russia moved the WMDs from Iraq to Syria, more investigation found that to be completely unfounded info). I would love it if the news organizations had some onus to the facts first and ratings second. You turn on most TV news and you're going to see a left side bias, you turn on most radio news and you're going to hear a right side bias. The thing is, we have to make sure that our filters are on and that we try and remove any bias from our filters. I get news from sources whose slants I disagree with all the time because I don't want to be spoonfed and start believing everything that's coming my way.

All I can say is, if Clinton were in office today and had pulled the stuff Bush has, you conservatives would be storming the White House with torches.

ShamMo Said:
how bout oreilly telling guest to shut up, you like that?
I said both sides do it, however O’Reilly didn’t scream and cuss at the guest who was trying to filibuster his show.
how bout limbaugh calling liberals idiots who know nothing when in fact, at least most of them make logical arguments.
An idiot doesn’t make a logical argument and deserves the name. From what I have heard Mr. Limbaugh is very polite to the liberals that call, if they make valid points.

how bout we don't take things at face value that is said by government.
I never do, but how about you when Democrats were in power?
how bout we be responsible citizens and question the actions, because you know what we call a place iwth no dissent and questioning? A DICTATORSHIP, but hey, you would love that with bush in charge.
How about I just ignore this one, and forget you made a stupid comment. We all do it once in a while.

how bout fox not being a conduit for everything that comes out of the bush administration by just repeating and not doing any investigative reporting.
If you actually watched Fox News, instead of believing the Liberal propaganda about it, you might learn something.

how bout that.
Right, how about that!

I may disagree with some of your politics, Squawker, but that was well said.

**Takes a bow and says, thank you, sir.

I see Squawker as just that, making a lot of noise to drown out a discussion that may prove him inadaquate.....we won't discuss how in such a polite forum. :3oops:

It's an unfortunate trend which has driven me from the Republican Party over the last 10 years. A great party with great ideas taken over by the fanatics on the right who pound out bible literialism as well as "voo doo" economics.

I moved to Texas only to be greeted by two of the biggest idiots my former party has to offer Tom Delay and John Cornyn what outstanding examples of the worst politics has to offer.

I'd like to see more discussion on issues and see more solutions that will and should include compromises on both sides.

Social Security for example. The President has opened it up with a proposal, I'm OK with it and something needs to be done as the system is little more than a Ponzi scheme that will crash on us all. Denial of the problem helps no one, so let's discuss a solution rather that we can all be a part of.

Health Insurance is another example. President Clinton proposed a universal health insurance solution which was simply shouted down with no debate or consideration of other solutions. I did not agree with it as an accountant and former healthcare executive but hey, he at least acknowledged that we have a problem.....and it hasn't gone away.

Bias? We all have some degree or another. I'm getting past that and looking for solutions rather than rants and slogans from "squawkers" of all stripes. :shoot

Hi sdsmith, :2wave:
welcome2.gif

I see Squawker as just that, making a lot of noise to drown out a discussion that may prove him inadaquate.....we won't discuss how in such a polite forum.

It's an unfortunate trend which has driven me from the Republican Party over the last 10 years. A great party with great ideas taken over by the fanatics on the right who pound out bible literialism as well as "voo doo" economics.
I'll give ya a break pal, seeing as how you are new an all. Take some time to read some past posts, fore ya jump to too many conclusions.

Have Fun and Happy Posting !​

Squawker said:
Hi sdsmith, :2wave:
welcome2.gif

I'll give ya a break pal, seeing as how you are new an all. Take some time to read some past posts, fore ya jump to too many conclusions.

Have Fun and Happy Posting !​

Ah! The student of bias shows his knowledge I see.

Quote small pieces and ignore issues you'd like to avoid. Did you go to the Rush Limbaugh school or the Bill O'Riley? Will you be labeling me as a "liberal" in a pathetic effort to diminish the importance of anything else I say no matter how conservative?

I'm reading. I'm not impressed.

Will you be labeling me as a "liberal" in a pathetic effort to diminish the importance of anything else I say no matter how conservative?
When you say something important, I'll let ya know.
I'm reading. I'm not impressed.
Don't feel bad, neither am I. ;)

sdsmith said:
I see Squawker as just that, making a lot of noise to drown out a discussion that may prove him inadaquate.....we won't discuss how in such a polite forum. :3oops:

If you actually have something to say, say it. Don't just claim you have something to say and then make back handed comments and move one. Makes no sense.

Squawker said:
I get tired of the constant Bashing of our Country and our President. I get tired of a whining bunch of liberal snobs in the main stream media making up stories to fit their agenda. I want to know when I listen to the "news" it isn't something fabricated to make our President look bad.

Just a question did you bash Clinton when he was in power?

Questioning your leader is part of any healthy democracy, you may agree with Bush in everything he does - fair enough, but that doesn't mean everyone has to.

I agree the majority of the media is liberal bias, maybe you don't see Fox News is biased because they are aligned with you beliefs - fair enough.

Is there any American main stream media that isn't bias anymore anyway. The media in America, I think has become very corporate, more of a business than a media outlet.

I don't know, I'm just asking, can you get Fox, CNN, CBS t-shirts mugs etc.?

Just a question did you bash Clinton when he was in power?
I voted for Clinton once, so not at the time, no. His continuous lying, corruption, mis management of international and domestic affairs turned me against him. I don't recall people in the media calling Clinton, Hitler or even a liar. Maybe, I wasn't paying attention, but if they called him a slim ball he deserved the name. I don't think Bush rates the name calling.

Pacridge said:
If you actually have something to say, say it. Don't just claim you have something to say and then make back handed comments and move one. Makes no sense.

Read past the quote bunny boy and you'll see more but you have to be able to read and comprehend beyond the first paragraph.

The thread is on bias and how people will always have a bias in my opinion. It doesn't matter as part of our duty as citizens is to listen, comprehend and form an opinion of our own. That is why educated societies are much more successful than illiteriate ones with democracy.

A Republic requires participation from its citizens to function or it operates in practical terms as an aristocracy. Those participating call the shots for those who do not.

Listening only to Fox News and Limbaugh is hazardous to clear thought as well as self fulfilling. You only hear what you want to hear. I'd rather be willing to listen to another idea. I very aware that I'm not always correct.

For example, the President's Social Security idea. I was initially against it but upon further examination thru other outlets understood it better and decided to support it. Over time, it basically gets rid of social security which is what I'd like. We cannot fix it until we address the burden of debt which has been amassed by the past. This is a way to pay it off and move on. I can deal with that. Of course I still track the issue as it is in play and the actual solution may change and evolve before getting passed.

Squawker said:
I voted for Clinton once, so not at the time, no. His continuous lying, corruption, mis management of international and domestic affairs turned me against him. I don't recall people in the media calling Clinton, Hitler or even a liar. Maybe, I wasn't paying attention, but if they called him a slim ball he deserved the name. I don't think Bush rates the name calling.

There is not question in my mind that Clinton was mugged by the right wing media. It was bad, very bad and now those same muggers have the adacity to cry foul.

I'm not saying I agree with the level of name calling that goes on now but the right is pretty hippocritcial with this one. Bush isn't the brightest nut the party has thrown up to the podium that's pretty obvious. My father is a supporter but even he concedes..., "I'm voting for Chaney, he won't let the idiot child screw it up too bad". Thanks Dad. There's a solid vote for the current administration if I've ever heard one.

I Care!

If you can't accept things on the news at face value, what's its use? :rofl

Are you a human being?

Listen to any 5 humans relate "the facts" and you'll quickly understand why the media has a bias. People are the issue, not a grand liberal or conservative conspiracy.

The facts do get out there but certain "facts" are deemed to be more important by some groups and individuals than others. How they relate is often a spin point. That sort of thing.

I don't see it as the facts being corrupted as much as the extras. The analysis, relative importance and the commentary. Think how often you've heard Sean Hannity rant on about how an "important" story was under reported in the mainstream media. *Shaking his head for emphasis* That's bias speaking about bias.

Just in determining what is "news" we reflect bias. What is important to you is dictated by your perception of the world and personal opinion. Of course it has to be done as not everything can be reported by a commercial news service. It has to have an audience.

It has value but it requires a bit more thought than a simple "duh...its on TV Ethel so I guess its true..."

Last edited:
sdsmith,

But some people are that gullable. Ethel could be someone you know.

stsburns said:
sdsmith,

But some people are that gullable. Ethel could be someone you know.

And it is a damned sad thing to say but the Ethel's of the world are generally told what to do rather than provide self direction or ideas to the mix.

All people are not created equal but they do all deserve equal opportunity. Their individual ability to address that opportunity is variable. We cannot structure the media and free press to subsidize the lowest common denominator.

But hey, I'm an elitist. If you don't want to participate, fine. I'll tell you what to do :mrgreen:

Squawker said:
They aren't just biased, they have become propaganda machines for the left.

Could you please explain to me why the corporate media would be a "propoganda machine" for the left?

I get tired of people lying and distorting what Republicans say and do. I get tired of the constant Bashing of our Country and our President.

Then you should move to North Korea or Saudi Arabia; you won't hear any bashing of its leaders there. So were you equally annoyed when the media reported every salacious detail of the Lewinsky blow job? Or when republicans had Clinton impeached over it? Boy, that must have been the last straw for you.

I get tired of a whining bunch of liberal snobs in the main stream media making up stories to fit their agenda.

And here we get to the crux of your empty, baseless beef: the "whiney liberal snobs"---a.k.a. intelligent, college-educated professionals who annoy you by poking holes in your facile Republican dogma. It doesn't strike you as at all ironic that these "liberal snobs" are employed by the very free-market capitalist system you Republicans sing peans to?

I want to know when I listen to the "news" it isn't something fabricated to make our President look bad. I want to turn on a radio channel without hearing some nut case screaming "shut up, Bitch" just because they don't like republicans. Right wingers do some of this too, but most of it comes from the left.

You're telling me that the "screaming nut cases" are predominantly on the left? You're kidding, right? Have you heard right wing talk radio? Maybe you forgot that the worst case of domestic terrorism was committed by a bunch of right-wing, government demonizing, ex-military, Christian "nut cases" Timothy McVeigh and Terri Nichols, and the web of right-wing "nut case" organizations of which they were just the tip of the iceberg.

Back
Top Bottom