• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bias in Media or just a conspiracy theory?

There is a huge left leaning bias in the media. They don't even try to hide it anymore.
It's disgraceful what has happened to this country...
The nauseating fawning over the Biden administration is embarrassing. But yes, there’s no longer an attempt to hide it. They no longer look at it as a bias. They look at it as they are saving the world from evil.

You have a point with AP and Reuters but, if you get your news from the other sources you are being brainwashed.

The Guardian, WSJ, NY Post, Chicago Tribune. Blend of center left, center right and opinion pieces that cover a wide variety of viewpoints and angles on news stories. The Guardian is a hard nosed news outlet, they have biases but tend to hew closer to the story than their interpretation of it, usually.

When POLTICO! states that the fawning and adulation is going too far, you have to know they are going way, way, way too far.
It’s over the top. The media’s vomitous fawning over Biden is unlike anything I can remember.

At least we don’t see little school kids chanting eerie songs like they did with Obama.

"Biased media" is just "Fake News" dressed up in a tuxedo. What you complain of is nothing new. It was Mark Twain in the 19th century who wrote "If you don't read the newspapers, you are uninformed. If you do, you are misinformed."
I must say I strongly disagree with this. Trump has definitely not helped the conversation on media bias by calling it all "fake news," but as someone who really has no horse in this race, I think the right definitely has a point about media bias. Now, that's not to say they don't have their own biased media (Fox, Daily Wire, Newsmax, Infowars etc.), but most of the legacy outlets (ABC, NBC, CBS, NYT, WaPo, CNN, etc.), from my perspective, have a clear slant to the left, and these are the outlets with the most circulation. The solution to this is, of course, is to create new outlets, and conservatives have done just that (like the ones listed above). This has played a role in furthering the divide between the two parties in America. I certainly think everyone returning back to more objective news outlets that present content in a fair and balanced way would help tremendously in bridging the political divide in America.

Media bias does not generally come from the veracity of the facts they report; it comes from which facts they choose to report on. In other words, most outlets are not lying, but their bias shows through story selection and framing. It's not that they are "fake news" necessarily, but that they are biased in what they choose to report on and how they choose to frame the situation.

When I listed all the news sites I go to such as NPR, BBC, Reuters, and Associated Press as well as other news sites like ABC, NBC, CBS, and Yahoo.

The reply was you literally just listed all left leaning MSM sources. Literally...every...single...one

Back before Trump's "Fake News" watching the morning news at breakfast before work or school, midday news at lunch or evening news at dinner time was trusted.

This is what communist countries do by suppressing news that is unfavorable to them and watch only news that lines up with what they want shown
Sadly some Trump supporters don't see that they are being brainwashed to follow the party line.

The media has a bias toward the truthful and the media has a bias toward the hopeful and the media has a bias toward the good. When you're dishonest, want to make people afraid, and brazenly support every idea designed to injure or exclude people who have historically been injured or excluded...it is little wonder the appearance is that the media is against you.

Trump lied repeatedly
Trump constantly tried to make people afraid
Trump's administration was constantly was cruel and exclusionary.

Apparently, it is just too much trouble to ask people who claim there is media bias to defend their claims. Oh sure, they can point to a story or two where some minutiae wasn't accurate or some minor detail was left out. For this they will claim "The New York Times cannot by be trusted with anything!"

Quick thought experiment: Shortly after the November election, then-Senator-elect Tommy Tuberville of Alabama, a former football coach with no political experience, incorrectly identified the three branches of government during an interview. He said the three branches of government are the House of Representatives, the Senate, and the Executive. This, of course, is not correct. The three branches are the Legislative Branch, the Executive Branch, and the Judicial Branch. CNN ran a segment on this gaffe, calling it an "alarming lack of knowledge" of how the government works. They discussed his lack of past political experience, highlighting that he is a former football coach. Do you think this is newsworthy? CNN certainly did.

Now ask yourself this: if a Democratic member of Congress made this same gaffe, do you think CNN would have covered it? Do you think they would have called it an "alarming lack of knowledge?" Do you think they would have been equally harsh on a Democrat?

Well, in reality, Democrats have made this same gaffe on more than one occasion, and CNN never chose to report on it. They devoted no news coverage to it whatsoever, deciding it wasn't newsworthy. Now, if CNN were unbiased, they would have given it equal coverage, they would have been equally harsh about it, and there would have been no detectable difference in their tone. At the time when the Democrats made these gaffes, if you would have asked CNN why they didn't report on these gaffes, they likely would have said it was a simple gaffe that anyone could have made, and it's not newsworthy, and there would be no way for any of us to demonstrate that their decision may have been influenced in part by which party would be made to look bad by this story. But now, years later when a Republican makes the same mistake, CNN suddenly decides it's newsworthy. In other words, the journalists and editors who work at CNN and decide what's newsworthy are influenced in part by their own biases, and these biases bleed through in their reporting. This is one of many, many, many examples of bias that you would find at CNN or any other outlet (left or right). Part of the role of the press is to tell us what we should care about and what is/isn't a big deal. When I see countless examples of bias in CNN's reporting, however, it calls into question their credibility in determining what is/isn't newsworthy.

The problem of credibility now becomes this: next time I see CNN reporting on an event making it sound like a big deal, I will wonder Would they be treating this the exact same way if the parties were reversed? If a Republican says something stupid or does something bad and CNN chooses to report on it because they think it's newsworthy, I will ask myself Is this really a big deal, or is CNN simply covering it because it makes the GOP look bad? I will wonder Would they be making a big deal out of this if a Democrat did the same thing? And I will have credible evidence that their perspective on what is newsworthy and what is a big deal is influenced heavily by partisan preferences, not objective and neutral observations.

Now, it can be easy to dismiss this as a random error in reporting that could happen to anyone, but it is one of many, many examples I can point to, and after seeing many, many examples of this type of reporting, it begins to become clear that there is a pattern to this, and it demonstrates bias. I created a thread about a week ago discussing the media bias example explained above, and I have plenty more that I could point to. Feel free to check out my previous thread to hear more about it.

I can certainly understand how someone on the left might miss some of the subtle biases. But I think a careful and intellectually honest look at them leaves no other conclusion than that most of the legacy outlets do skew pretty clearly to the left.

I hope this helps explain what people mean by media bias :)

Last edited:
In my not so humble opinion anyone with half a brain knows when watching CNN, Fox or MSNBC you know ahead of time the side they dupport. You also know real news storys that are non political as accurate for the most part. You know they favor liberals but not that much so this right wing excuse is overblown and just another right wing great Satan.

These populist who have come to power in the GOP love to rain fown false or unprovable accusations so they have taken this mistrust of the press and amplified it so they can just yell fake news anytime somebody proves their conspiracy theory false.

The problem of credibility now becomes this: next time I see CNN reporting on an event making it sound like a big deal, I will wonder Would they be treating this the exact same way if the parties were reversed? If a Republican says something stupid or does something bad and CNN chooses to report on it because they think it's newsworthy, I will ask myself Is this really a big deal, or is CNN simply covering it because it makes the GOP look bad? I will wonder Would they be making a big deal out of this if a Democrat did the same thing? And I will have credible evidence that their perspective on what is newsworthy and what is a big deal is influenced heavily by partisan preferences, not objective and neutral observations.

To give a current example, Stealers Wheel, consider this: Hunter Biden is currently under federal criminal investigation, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Delaware. In other words, the son of a sitting U.S. president is under federal criminal investigation. I have heard fairly little about this (but still some coverage) out of most of the major outlets, including CNN. However, I can't help but wonder If four years ago Donald Trump Jr. were the subject of a federal criminal investigation (and a U.S. Attorney's office publicly stated so), would CNN have given the story a little more coverage, or would they have mostly just focused on other things? If a few weeks or months from now, a U.S. Attorney's office announces that they are currently investigating Donald Trump Jr., will CNN choose to downplay it and cover it only sparingly?

My gut tells me that this would have been given nearly wall-to-wall coverage had it been the son of a Republican president, and I am certainly justified in that prediction because of the many, many examples of story selection bias that I can point to. And time will tell, if Donald Trump Jr. becomes the subject of a federal criminal investigation, we will be able to compare the coverage of the two investigations, and I'd be willing to be the Donald Trump Jr. one will have much more coverage and a much less forgiving tone.

Now, this is not to say that CNN has entirely ignored the story. They haven't. They have written some articles on it and discussed it on air. But it just shocks me that this isn't considered a bigger deal that the son of a sitting U.S. president is under federal criminal investigation for his foreign business dealings in China. It seems like the type of story that would have been all over headlines and breaking news in the past administration, and now there seems to be so little coverage.

This isn't to say that the Trump family should not receive ample coverage of sketchy foreign business dealings they may have had or investigations that they may be under. It is absolutely newsworthy. But it's also newsworthy when it happens to the Biden family.

This a point that has been articulated by many on the left, including one of my favorites, the progressive host of Secular Talk, Kyle Kulinski. He has brought up how it seems that the Bidens and other mainstream Democrats get such a free pass on their own corruption and misdeeds. Before the election in regards to allegations of wrongdoing by Hunter Biden, Kyle ranted saying, "Don't tell me the media would be calling this 'Russian disinformation' if this story were about Donald Trump Jr," pointing out how the two families seems to have such different standards applied to them by most of the legacy outlets. The corruption of both should be called out, and neither should receive a pass on it. That is the duty of true journalism.

In my not so humble opinion anyone with half a brain knows when watching CNN, Fox or MSNBC you know ahead of time the side they dupport. You also know real news storys that are non political as accurate for the most part. You know they favor liberals

I agree that anyone with a brain should know this, but I personally know people who watch these outlets and claim they are completely unbiased. I live with a close relative who essentially watches CNN 12 hours a day, and I have seen first-hand the effect that it has had on him. He constantly claims he detects no bias whatsoever and he doesn't understand the way that outlet has radicalized him, constantly feeding him what he wants to hear and insinuating and implying ridiculous things. That's the problem with cable news in general.

And I think any of these other outlets could just as easily have the same effect. That's why you need a balanced media diet with information from a variety of sources.

Less than half of the americans surveyed believe their media (46%).
If we talk about Republicans, the level of trust in the media is 18% (Edelman poll). In three months, confidence has declined by 15%.
Don't stop! Keep taking people for idiots and feeding them propaganda lies!

To give a current example, Stealers Wheel, consider this: Hunter Biden is currently under federal criminal investigation, according to the U.S. Attorney's Office for the District of Delaware. In other words, the son of a sitting U.S. president is under federal criminal investigation. I have heard fairly little about this (but still some coverage) out of most of the major outlets, including CNN. However, I can't help but wonder If four years ago Donald Trump Jr. were the subject of a federal criminal investigation (and a U.S. Attorney's office publicly stated so), would CNN have given the story a little more coverage, or would they have mostly just focused on other things? If a few weeks or months from now, a U.S. Attorney's office announces that they are currently investigating Donald Trump Jr., will CNN choose to downplay it and cover it only sparingly?

My gut tells me that this would have been given nearly wall-to-wall coverage had it been the son of a Republican president, and I am certainly justified in that prediction because of the many, many examples of story selection bias that I can point to. And time will tell, if Donald Trump Jr. becomes the subject of a federal criminal investigation, we will be able to compare the coverage of the two investigations, and I'd be willing to be the Donald Trump Jr. one will have much more coverage and a much less forgiving tone.

Now, this is not to say that CNN has entirely ignored the story. They haven't. They have written some articles on it and discussed it on air. But it just shocks me that this isn't considered a bigger deal that the son of a sitting U.S. president is under federal criminal investigation for his foreign business dealings in China. It seems like the type of story that would have been all over headlines and breaking news in the past administration, and now there seems to be so little coverage.

This isn't to say that the Trump family should not receive ample coverage of sketchy foreign business dealings they may have had or investigations that they may be under. It is absolutely newsworthy. But it's also newsworthy when it happens to the Biden family.

This a point that has been articulated by many on the left, including one of my favorites, the progressive host of Secular Talk, Kyle Kulinski. He has brought up how it seems that the Bidens and other mainstream Democrats get such a free pass on their own corruption and misdeeds. Before the election in regards to allegations of wrongdoing by Hunter Biden, Kyle ranted saying, "Don't tell me the media would be calling this 'Russian disinformation' if this story were about Donald Trump Jr," pointing out how the two families seems to have such different standards applied to them by most of the legacy outlets. The corruption of both should be called out, and neither should receive a pass on it. That is the duty of true journalism.

Leaving aside the dubious nature of the Hunter Biden story in its totality, from impeachment level corruption on the part of the President to Rudy Guliani and the Magic Laptop, the Media is understandably cautious after the entire "Butter Emails" fiasco in 2016.

I can point to numerous "investigations" of democrats that received wall-to-wall coverage over the past several decades; investigations that WENT NOWHERE. Think Travelgate, Whitewater, Benghazi, Hillary's emails, etc.

This is a standard GOP strategy: Have an "investigation" going at all times, particularly during campaign seasons. Trump didn't give a rat's ass if Biden was corrupt or enriching himself. The important thing was to have the Ukraine ANNOUNCE an investigation into the Biden's. That is why he felt it was perfectly acceptable to leverage U.S. aid in that bid. All they had to do was announce an investigation. They didn't even have to follow through. All Trump wanted was the talking point, that's all.

How many "investigations" of Hillary were there? And after a quarter century of "investigating" not a single referral for criminal prosecution came as a result. Some GOP folks admitted after the fact the point was to hurt Hillary politically, not charge her criminally. The investigation is standard campaign strategy in the GOP playbook. And you will call the MSM biased for not covering it with MORE gravitas. The whole point of the investigation is to get coverage. In other words, the media are supposed to be tools for their election efforts.

I suspect this is what the MSM is seeing in this Hunter Biden "scandal." The point is to hurt Joe Biden politically. Should the MSM be a party to this? Should they devote hours of special coverage every time another GOP congressman levels another unfounded allegation?

Jeff Bezos, the owner of Amazon and the Washington Post's fake news bulletin, banned his employees from voting by mail when forming a union. Face-to-face voting, they say, is much more honest. In the 2020 election, he was, of course, for the "postal" Biden. Who would have thought so!

The agency "Bloomberg" published a material about vaccination in the Crimea and Ukraine. Or rather, that vaccination in the Crimea is in full swing, and in Ukraine there is no vaccination. But, since many people read only the headline, garbage dump Bloomberg couldn't help do something nasty, and therefore the article is called: "Vaccine Is Now a Weapon in Ukraine’s Conflict With Russia" !

The agency "Bloomberg" published a material about vaccination in the Crimea and Ukraine. Or rather, that vaccination in the Crimea is in full swing, and in Ukraine there is no vaccination. But, since many people read only the headline, garbage dump Bloomberg couldn't help do something nasty, and therefore the article is called: "Vaccine Is Now a Weapon in Ukraine’s Conflict With Russia" !
We are all a mix. Pure socialism is very rare anymore. Lets see there is China who still has a communist party but they seem to be good at capitalism and with the worlds second biggest economy. They are still goons.

Correct me if I am wrong but the model of mixing capitalism and socialism seems to be what the future and for that matter the past 40 years look like. The right is full of it when they throw around the terms of communist or socialist but that is regressive and silly.

All of those sites you mention have been wedded to the left for decades.

You've been brainwashed and didn't even know it.
Sounds like populist conspiracy theories to me. Brian washed? Come on man. The press is fair enough to conservatives if they have a majority opinion. I can not think of many issues they have that however. Those election numbers looked the same on Fox as the did on MSNBC. Only a idiot falls for bias anyway. When I watch Sean Hannity or Glen Beck I am getting the regressive view. Rachael Maddow the progressive. Why is that so hard?

Ok the new right tried to discredit the media for a reason. That way people would not know who believe when the unproven and false accusations started raining down. I have never seen anything like it. How about that for a conspiracy theory?

When conservatives complain about the media being biased against them I am reminded of creationists complaining about biology professors being biased against creation science.

we have to find common ground or we are toast as a country.
Oh, really, you don't say. Now how about you respond to what I posted instead of offering a phony platitude you ignored for 4 years.

When I listed all the news sites I go to such as NPR, BBC, Reuters, and Associated Press as well as other news sites like ABC, NBC, CBS, and Yahoo.

The reply was you literally just listed all left leaning MSM sources. Literally...every...single...one

Back before Trump's "Fake News" watching the morning news at breakfast before work or school, midday news at lunch or evening news at dinner time was trusted.

This is what communist countries do by suppressing news that is unfavorable to them and watch only news that lines up with what they want shown
Sadly some Trump supporters don't see that they are being brainwashed to follow the party line.
The truth is the enemy of an Authoritarian government. Hence, Trump spent four years assaulting facts. About 30% of the voters fell for it. Are they morons? Uh, yeah.

Oh, really, you don't say. Now how about you respond to what I posted instead of offering a phony platitude you ignored for 4 years.
Thought I already did and to be honest these populist idiots deserve no respect. Hopefully the GOP will do the right thing and purge those idiots from the GOP.

Thought I already did and to be honest these populist idiots deserve no respect. Hopefully the GOP will do the right thing and purge those idiots from the GOP.
So much unity, so much.

Back
Top Bottom