• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beyond BuzzFeed: The 10 Worst, Most Embarrassing U.S. Media Failures on the Trump/Russia Story

SLC

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Buzzfeed was once notorious for traffic-generating “listicles”, but has since become an impressive outlet for deep investigative journalism under editor-in-chief Ben Smith. That outlet was prominently in the news this week thanks to its “bombshell” story about President Trump and Michael Cohen: a story that, like so many others of its kind, blew up in its face, this time when the typically mute Robert Mueller’s office took the extremely rare step to label its key claims “inaccurate.”

But in homage to BuzzFeed’s past viral glory, following are the top ten worst media failures in two-plus-years of Trump/Russia reporting. They are listed in reverse order, as measured by the magnitude of the embarrassment, the hysteria they generated on social media and cable news, the level of journalistic recklessness that produced them, and the amount of damage and danger they caused. This list was extremely difficult to compile in part because news outlets (particularly CNN and MSNBC) often delete from the internet the video segments of their most embarrassing moments. Even more challenging was the fact that the number of worthy nominees is so large that highly meritorious entrees had to be excluded, but are acknowledged at the end with (dis)honorable mention status.

Read the article it list 10 MSM stories that were wrong. Its pretty sad that journalism has fallen so far. You just don't know what to trust these days.

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/beyond-buzzfeed-the-10-worst-most-embarrassing-u-s-media-failures-on-the-trumprussia-story/

There are approximately 1400 newspapers and 374 24-hour news stations in the US, to say nothing of the ~100 nationally syndicated cable news programs and local news programs on the air, all releasing thousands and thousands of stories every day. And trump supporters are smirking over the ten wrong stories released in the past two years.

Meanwhile, Trump has made 8158 false and misleading statements in those same two years. Regarding Russia, Trump has outright defrauded the American public on his business dealings running up to his election, as well as having lied on too many Russian-related matters to count, and Republicans shrug like that doesn't matter in the least.

Priorities!

Last edited:
There are approximately 1400 newspapers and 374 24-hour news stations in the US, to say nothing of the ~100 news programs on the air, all releasing thousands and thousands of stories every day. And trump supporters are smirking over the ten wrong stories released in the past two years.

Meanwhile, Trump has made 8158 false and misleading statements in those same two years, and Republicans shrug like that doesn't matter in the least.

Priorities!

Whataboutism saves the massive trust in the MSM yet again.

I saw the Intercept and knew automatically it would be Glenn Greenwald.

No thanks.

There are approximately 1400 newspapers and 374 24-hour news stations in the US, to say nothing of the ~100 news programs on the air, all releasing thousands and thousands of stories every day. And trump supporters are smirking over the ten wrong stories released in the past two years.

Meanwhile, Trump has made 8158 false and misleading statements in those same two years. Regarding Russia, Trump has outright defrauded the American public on his business dealings running up to his election, as well as having lied on too many Russian-related matters to count, and Republicans shrug like that doesn't matter in the least.

Priorities!

Funny how you were the one who tried to get people to pledge not to use "whataboutism" . . .

https://www.debatepolitics.com/polls/325273-you-take-pledge-avoid-whataboutism-arguments.html

So, ummm:

Just pointing out trump supporters' massive hypocrisy.

Compare the trust and approval ratings of Trump and the MSM. Both may suck but which is worse?

We're only stuck with Trump for a few more years.

Compare the trust and approval ratings of Trump and the MSM. Both may suck but which is worse?

The intercept was able to dig up ten incorrect stories from the past two years and the Washington Post was able to dig up 8158 false and misleading statements from that same time period, so you tell me.

Perhaps, 10 and 8158 seem like the same number to you, in which case I can't help you.

The intercept was able to dig up ten incorrect stories from the past two years and the Washington Post was able to dig up 8158 false and misleading statements from that same time period, so you tell me.

Perhaps, 10 and 8158 seem like the same number to you, in which case I can't help you.

Like I said, whataboutism can fix nearly anything.

It's far easier to change the channel than to change the POTUS.

Sure, but the media have much more influence on culture and popular perception than the POTUS (rightly so), and they aren't going anywhere. A mistake-prone media which shows little sign of or interest in improving will long outlast any President.

The intercept was able to dig up ten incorrect stories from the past two years

No, they were just the TOP ten.

Don't lie about the article. Or, maybe, consider reading it before whatabouting.

Read the article it list 10 MSM stories that were wrong. Its pretty sad that journalism has fallen so far. You just don't know what to trust these days.

https://theintercept.com/2019/01/20/beyond-buzzfeed-the-10-worst-most-embarrassing-u-s-media-failures-on-the-trumprussia-story/

Most of those stories received no traction, making it a pretty pathetic list. Mistakes are made in every profession. The meddle is the professions ability to police itself. I noticed in several of these stories the journalist lost their jobs and/or retractions were printed. Frankly, this whole thread is far more a testament to the fact that our nation's press is pretty good rather than what you are trying to suggest here.

BTW, we know the Mueller team chose to tell us that the Buzzfeed article was inaccurate. They did not categorically dismiss it as wrong or off base. There was a good reason for them to throw a little water on the fire as it seemed congress was getting over their skis, which could be damaging for the effectiveness of the Mueller investigation. It may be a while before we better understand where the Buzzfeed article missed the marked. Inaccurate is not the same thing as wrong or off base. We will just have to wait and see.

The White House often tells us stories are flat out wrong to lies, only to learn later they were spot on while it was the White House that was lying.

Last edited:
Sadly, it cannot fix your hypocrisy.

Quoting someone with whom you are acquainted:

"Pointing out hypocrisy" is everybody's bull**** rationalization for the use of whataboutism. Either you intend to address the topic of the debate or you don't.

Obviously, here, you didn't.

Again, that's from your thread, in which you tried to get people to pledge not to use whataboutism.

You can’t stand the truth :lol: The article is well documented.

Let's take the Intercept article at face value and accept that all ten of those articles are just wrong. It's not really important to me how wrong they are, but again, let's just go with it. What we're forced to consider is two different scenarios.

Scenario 1:
The people involved: 1400 newspapers, 374 24-hour news stations in the US, ~100 nationally syndicated cable news programs, countless local news programs
Time span: two years
Result: ten incorrect stories

Scenario 2:
The people involved: 1 individual (the President)
Time span: two years
Result: 8158 false and misleading statements

There are approximately 32,900 journalists currently working in the United States. If they were to lie at the rate that the President does, then we would have, by now, approximately 268,398,200 stories. In other words, we would have over two hundred and sixty-eight million false stories. Instead, we have...ten.

A little perspective goes a long way.

Like I said, whataboutism can fix nearly anything.

I'm sorry tt, your "whataboutism" reply is a bit simplistic. The point of "whataboutism" is to end the discussion. Cardinal is simply adding context to show the hypocrisy of the right: 10 wrong stories out of thousands vs trump's lies. And as Upside guy points out, there was accountability as some reporters lost there jobs. that's now two issues where conservatives have shown their hypocrisy, accountability and hypocrisy. Let me put this into perspective for you

trump supporters happily jump into the cesspool of trump's sewage to wallow about and literally scoop up buckets of his filth to pour over their heads to fully bask in their dear leaders lies then gleefully point out to passerby's that they stepped in dog poop.

see the difference?

Looking at only the ten worst things of a huge profession like journalism is an incredibly dumb way of judging all of the media or journalism. If someone doesnt take in the good with the bad then they are doing so because of a motive. Republicans bitched about the media during watergate and are doing the same now. Par for the course.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

In most cases when the MSM gets it wrong they print a retraction. With Trumps lies, well to retract would make him look foolish according to his ego.

...BTW, we know the Mueller team chose to tell us that the Buzzfeed article was inaccurate. They did not categorically dismiss it as wrong or off base. There was a good reason for them to throw a little water on the fire as it seemed congress was getting over their skis, which could be damaging for the effectiveness of the Mueller investigation. It may be a while before we better understand where the Buzzfeed article missed the marked. Inaccurate is not the same thing as wrong or off base. We will just have to wait and see...

I'm hearing reports that it might not have been Mueller's decision to denounce the Buzzfeed article. It seems it may have been a direct order that came down the chain of command from the top; Putin>Trump>Whitaker.

Besides the obvious motivation Numnuts has in denying accusations and the investigation, three factors make it seem plausible to me. First, I understand that disputing an article like this, during an active investigation is extremely rare. Second Buzzfeed is standing firm on their reporting. Third, the two reporters have a stellar reputation for accurately reporting on breaking news stories...

Back
Top Bottom