• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Betsy DeVos set to rewrite guidance on college sexual assault cases, giving new rights to accused

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Education Secretary Betsy DeVos is set to release a sweeping overhaul of how colleges and universities must handle allegations of sexual assault and harassment, giving new rights to the accused, including the ability to cross-examine their accusers, people familiar with the matter said.The proposal is set for release before Thanksgiving, possibly this week, and replaces less formal guidance issued by the Obama administration in 2011. The new rules would reduce liability for universities, tighten the definition of sexual harassment, and allow schools to use a higher standard in evaluating claims of sexual harassment and assault.
The rules stem from a 1972 law known as Title IX that bars sex discrimination at schools that receive federal funding. Most of the attention is on higher education, but the rules also apply to elementary and secondary schools. Once published in the Federal Register, the proposal will be open for public comment before being finalized.
https://www.chicagotribune.com/news...s-college-sexual-assaults-20181114-story.html
Good, this is way over due.

I guess I don't see this as an improvement, particularly at the K-12 level, where this seems to provide new ways for schools to ignore a problem.

Do we have a serious false accusation of harassment problem in schools?

Is it worse than the actual sexual harassment that goes on?

I imagine you're glad they didn't try to lock down gender by birth, but we see they leave the door open for further "clarification."

Fantastic news. We must protect the mainly white boys who sexually assault and rape women. Well done Betsy.

What a load of crap.

How about the accused even being able to defend themselves in the hearing?
Or is that too much to expect now, with 'presumed guilt' becoming the new leftist legal standard?

Yeah, yeah, just as long as the PC fascists get what they want. :roll:
I'm frankly fed up with it, and sick of it.

Bugger off and **** up someone else's country and legal system with your garbage ideology.

What a load of crap.

How about the accused even being able to defend themselves in the hearing?
Or is that too much to expect now, with 'presumed guilt' becoming the new leftist legal standard?

Yeah, yeah, just as long as the PC fascists get what they want. :roll:
I'm frankly fed up with it, and sick of it.

Bugger off and **** up someone else's country and legal system with your garbage ideology.

People accused of sexual misconduct can defend themselves during a hearing.

This seems really hard for you.

I guess I don't see this as an improvement, particularly at the K-12 level, where this seems to provide new ways for schools to ignore a problem.

Do we have a serious false accusation of harassment problem in schools?

Is it worse than the actual sexual harassment that goes on?

I imagine you're glad they didn't try to lock down gender by birth, but we see they leave the door open for further "clarification."

False accusations are made. Is it worse than “real” cases of assault? That’s impossible to know because the problem we have is a system wherein people can be found guilty of misconduct on the basis of anonymous reports and no evidence.

Fantastic news. We must protect the mainly white boys who sexually assault and rape women. Well done Betsy.

Melodrama much? You obviously didn't read the whole article:

The most significant change would guarantee the accused the right to cross-examine their accusers, though it would have to be conducted by advisers or attorneys for the people involved, rather than by the person accused of misconduct. If requested, the parties could be in separate rooms during the cross-examination, an administration official said. They said this was done to bolster the due process rights of the accused while assuring that victims are not directly confronted by their assailants.

In another change, the proposal will allow both sides to appeal an adverse ruling, and not just the accused.

The rules will also give universities more flexibility in offering supportive measures to victims, for instance schedule changes or housing reassignments, in a change requested by survivor groups.

Read the whole article next time.

People accused of sexual misconduct can defend themselves during a hearing.

This seems really hard for you.

Please, be more informed.

The Uncomfortable Truth About Campus Rape Policy
At many schools, the rules intended to protect victims of sexual assault mean students have lost their right to due process—and an accusation of wrongdoing can derail a person’s entire college education.
https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...rtable-truth-about-campus-rape-policy/538974/

Campus assault due process - Wikipedia
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_assault_due_process
Jump to "Civil Liberties on Campus" conference at Stanford Law School - The practice of campus assault due process advocates for the right of justice and due process of law for an individual accused of sexual misconduct at a college or university campus.
‎2016 Open Letter from 21 ... · ‎Federal Court Reinstates ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campus_assault_due_process

[h=3]Can New Guidelines Restore Due Process on College Campuses?[/h]https://www.weeklystandard.com/.../can-new-guidelines-restore-due-process-on-colleg...
Aug 31, 2018 - The Education department issues a draft of rules to replace Obama's “Dear Colleague” letters on sexual assault.

There was a problem, Obama's guidance - tied to federal school funding, if I recall correctly, over compensated, and perhaps this policy represents a return more to the center.

No one wants to see a sexual abuser go unpunished, but that said, neither does anyone want to see an innocent person wrongly punished, their lives destroyed.

Frankly, I think this whole 'rape culture' meme really doesn't exist, except in the fevered imaginations of leftists who want to use it for political leverage and power through fear mongering.

What are you talking about? This is about providing due process and protecting people's rights. I bet you still think the Duke Lacrosse players were guilty, don't you?

What are you talking about? This is about providing due process and protecting people's rights. I bet you still think the Duke Lacrosse players were guilty, don't you?
Or the University of Virginia Rolling Stone rape accuser was telling the truth

We live in a society where protecting people's rights is passe. The new objective is to destroy whomever is the enemy.

Why do you think this is overdue?

The Obama rules greatly distorted the process, and denied due process rights to the accused. https://www.theatlantic.com/educati...rtable-truth-about-campus-rape-policy/538974/

Read that, it's from the Atlantic.

A recent case at the University of Southern California that resulted in the expulsion of Matt Boermeester, 23, the kicker for the school’s football team, illustrates this. In January of this year, one neighbor thought he saw Boermeester hurting his girlfriend of more than a year, Zoe Katz, 22, a top USC tennis player. The neighbor, also a USC student, told another USC student, who told his father, a USC tennis coach. The coach was a mandatory reporter, and he told the Title IX office. A months-long investigation was launched, Boermeester was put on immediate suspension, and a no-contact order was placed on the couple (which they ignored when off-campus). Eventually USC found Boermeester responsible for violating the school’s student code of conduct, which prohibits intimate-partner violence, as well as for violating the no-contact order. He was expelled.

In a statement issued to the Los Angeles Times through a lawyer, Katz said that on the night in question the two were playing around and that nothing untoward happened. She wrote that Boermeester “has been falsely accused of conduct involving me” and that he “did nothing improper against me, ever. I would not stand for it. Nor will I stand for watching him be maligned and lied about.” She said the investigation went on despite her adamant objection; that Title IX administrators treated her in a “dismissive and demeaning” way and told her she was a “battered” woman; and that during “repeated interrogations,” her words were “misrepresented, misquoted and taken out of context.” Boermeester recently filed suit against the school seeking to have his expulsion overturned. In papers filed in response to the suit, USC has said that it stands by its investigation and has asked the court to deny Boermeester relief, citing the completeness of the university’s investigation and the due process afforded him during the school’s administrative proceeding. The school wrote that Katz “initially confirmed” the version of events supplied by the neighbor and other witnesses, that she asked for the no-contact order, and that she texted that she was worried Boermeester would find out she had spoken with the Title IX investigator. USC said her “attempts to protect Petitioner were consistent with a recognized pattern of recanting in intimate partner violence that may be motivated by love or fear of reprisal.” Katz called the university’s statements “ludicrous,” again denying its allegations, and noted that she and Boermeester are still dating.
'
)small part of a VERY long Article(

We live in a society where protecting people's rights is passe. The new objective is to destroy whomever is the enemy.

By what ever means are required, and to these assholes willingness to use violence and/or lies registers in their pea brains as "Being Serious".

They lack the required morality.

They are children.

YUK

False accusations are made. Is it worse than “real” cases of assault? That’s impossible to know because the problem we have is a system wherein people can be found guilty of misconduct on the basis of anonymous reports and no evidence.

Ok, the only example I can think of offhand was the Duke lacrosse team thing, which was pretty shameful, but they weren't found guilty of anything.

No doubt there are others, but I don't see a false accusation crisis in schools. My own incomplete experience suggests schools tend to circle the wagons and stonewall on the accused's behalf, most particularly of abusive teachers.

Examples must be plentiful, if our best option is to make it easier for school admins to ignore the accusations.

Please, be more informed.

There was a problem, Obama's guidance - tied to federal school funding, if I recall correctly, over compensated, and perhaps this policy represents a return more to the center.

No one wants to see a sexual abuser go unpunished, but that said, neither does anyone want to see an innocent person wrongly punished, their lives destroyed.

Frankly, I think this whole 'rape culture' meme really doesn't exist, except in the fevered imaginations of leftists who want to use it for political leverage and power through fear mongering.

I think the leftist paradigm shifted into something of a monster, the further through the years we've gone.

What was the terminology.
-It's better to let 10 guilty men go free, than to imprison 1 innocent man?-

I think they've tried to reverse that course for a while now.

Back
Top Bottom