• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beto O'Rourke "refining" his positions

Doug64

Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
A good way to tell the state of politics in a state is the positions taken by serious candidates for governor from minority parties. Case in point:

Mr. O’Rourke announced in September 2019, after a mass shooting in El Paso, that he favored a mandatory buyback program for certain assault-style guns, including the popular AR-15.

“Hell yes, we’re going to take your AR-15, your AK-47,” O’Rourke said during a Democratic presidential debate. “We’re not going to allow it to be used against our fellow Americans anymore.”

Last month, Mr. O’Rourke told reporters in Tyler that he wanted to defend the Second Amendment and was “not interested in taking anything from anyone.” He criticized Mr. Abbott for signing legislation to eliminate gun carry permits.

He has gone from demanding that the U.S. “tear down” the border wall to criticizing President Biden for not doing enough on border security, and he went from opposing Mr. Abbott’s ban on teaching critical race theory in schools to saying CRT shouldn’t be part of the curriculum.

Of course, as one would expect, O'Rourke's supporters are saying that he is "refining" his positions, not flip-flopping.

In fairness, Beta has a chance to win Texas. there is a growing number of idiot leftists seeping into Texas, and a growing number of homegrown idiot leftists that are stupid enough to believe anything he says. But it will be hard for him to be able to back away from his statements regarding firearms. Frankly...he should have just stuck to his initial rhetoric.

Reactions: Bum
I cant believe anyone would vote for that idiot. He eats dirt and his positions changes every few months.

In fairness, Beta has a chance to win Texas. there is a growing number of idiot leftists seeping into Texas, and a growing number of homegrown idiot leftists that are stupid enough to believe anything he says.

I have to disagree, O'Rourke is tilting at windmills. It may be true that there's a growing number of "idiot leftists" in Texas, whether newcomers or homegrown, but there is also a growing number of Hispanics voting Republican--especially in the border counties. It seems they don't like the massive influx of illegal migrants coming across their lands and through their towns any more than most everyone else.

I have to disagree, O'Rourke is tilting at windmills. It may be true that there's a growing number of "idiot leftists" in Texas, whether newcomers or homegrown, but there is also a growing number of Hispanics voting Republican--especially in the border counties. It seems they don't like the massive influx of illegal migrants coming across their lands and through their towns any more than most everyone else.
Here's to hoping.

While what you said about the Hispanic vote is true, young people do skew Dem right now and there are more every year. Texas is fairly purple at this point. I think it is pretty up in the air.

A good way to tell the state of politics in a state is the positions taken by serious candidates for governor from minority parties. Case in point:

Of course, as one would expect, O'Rourke's supporters are saying that he is "refining" his positions, not flip-flopping.

How is this pretender still in politics?

He should have stayed away from inciting the boomstick hobbyists. Tweety might be able to talk about confiscating guns before due process, but Beto isn't Tweety. My guess is that he isn't going to get elected to anything in Texas.

Republicans only criticize Democrats for changing positions.

When Republicans change positions, Republicans look the other way.

Republicans only criticize Democrats for changing positions.

When Republicans change positions, Republicans look the other way.

Depends on the nature of the flip-flop—if it contradicts their own opinions, they are just as likely to denounce them as heretics and hypocrites.

Depends on the nature of the flip-flop—if it contradicts their own opinions, they are just as likely to denounce them as heretics and hypocrites.
Republicans only rarely criticize other Republicans. The word for that party is 'lockstep.'

The only reason Beto didn't win in 2018 was due to his gun control position
The only reason???" And being a shit for brains leftist and embarrassment to the state had nothing to do with it???

Seriously...he's been in office here before and folks have figured him out....he has not a snowballs chance in hell of getting elected again

Republicans only rarely criticize other Republicans. The word for that party is 'lockstep.'

You obviously haven’t been following many Republicans’ treatment of Senator Romney.

Meh, all politicians do this. Beto's pivot wouldn't necessarily be a problem, if he hadn't provided so much sound bite fodder during his train wreck of a presidential campaign. I would imagine "Hell yes we're going to take your guns" will be played over and over again in campaign ads. It isn't going to be easy for him to back away from positions like that, and I don't think it's going to work for him.

I'll vote for him anyway because I don't want Abbott. But Beto really hurt himself by running for president, and I would be very surprised if he wins.

The word of the day is "flip flopping".......He knows he hasnt a snowballs chance in hell with this anti 2A stance,

For someone running in Texas he really chose the wrong hills to die on tbh
Lets be honest; he went full retard on gun control and only changes his stance when he got his ass kicked.
He will play this part until ( if) elected then go full gun control again.

Meh, all politicians do this. Beto's pivot wouldn't necessarily be a problem, if he hadn't provided so much sound bite fodder during his train wreck of a presidential campaign.

That's exactly his problem. Political positions do evolve--Romney's position on abortion, for example. But in Romney's case it was a single issue and his pro-abortion statements were years in the past, so he could manage some wiggle room. Maybe his thinking really had changes, after all. But in O'Rourke's case it's multiple issues with really strong statements less than two years ago, so no, it's too blatant.

Back
Top Bottom