• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Beto O'Rourke President 2020

preliminary signs are that Beto is running for the white house in 2020
he and his crew recently met with Obama and his staff
thought this thread might capture his efforts until the election
the following article describes how he was an in-fighter in 2012 in el paso. that was something i did not realize, believing he had a history of taking the high road
https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/17/beto-orourke-2020-election-democratic-primary-1061889

so, even if Beto's presidential campaign has not officially launched yet, the BETO for President 2020 thread has commenced

Beto would make the devil so proud if the devil was not already pompously proud.

He’s running far more scared of Sen. Sherrod Brown. #45 is the poster boy for Virginia's one-term limit for governors, as potus, no matter the party.

LOL Sherrod Brown.

I'm not a big fan of centrist Democrats. Like, at all. While I can appreciate listening to both sides, at the end of the day, I don't respect the 'moderate' stance when we're talking about meeting corruption half-way, and that's Beto in a nutshell. He pledged to not take money from fossil-fuel execs, but then maxes out with like, thirty executives. I don't like Beto because in actuality, he's a fake progressive, and to be quite frank, I'd rather just put a Republican in the WH rather than someone that the third-way Dems are fond of. Everything I've learned about Beto after his loss to Cruz indicates that this is not a candidate that I would want to support during the primary, at the very least.

Maybe the problem isnt that Beto is too centrist, its that you are too fringe

I like the fact that he listens to people on both sides of the aisle. However, I believe it's too early for a Beto run. He needs a little more seasoning.

A lot more. He is, at this point, entirely a creation of the media, IMO.

I don't think he would do well running for Prez. White Obama? Maybe, but many voted for Obama to repent for slavery/civil rights. Beto is a white guy using a Spanish name in Texas, which sounds a little appeasing, no? And losing your last race does't help, esp. if it's to a guy who lost to Trump head to head.

Sanders would be 79 if he became President in 2021. Too old unfortunately.

Maybe the problem isnt that Beto is too centrist, its that you are too fringe

Yes Fletch, asking our represenatives to not take bribes from corporations and special interests is tottally fringe.

Sanders would be 79 if he became President in 2021. Too old unfortunately.

Bull****. He's about five years older than the current sitting president, seems to be in good health, and shows no signs of dementia. As a progressive, I'd rather vote him into office and have him die during his first term rather than vote for another third-way Dem, or someone who's more likely to lose to Donald Trump. That's what a VP is for.

I don't think he would do well running for Prez. White Obama? Maybe, but many voted for Obama to repent for slavery/civil rights. Beto is a white guy using a Spanish name in Texas, which sounds a little appeasing, no? And losing your last race does't help, esp. if it's to a guy who lost to Trump head to head.

What the hell does your second sentence have to do with your first? People call Beto 'White Obama' because Obama essentially governed as a moderate Republican, at least from the perception of progressives. Identity politics has nothing to do with why people are starting to call Beto, 'White Obama'.

O'Rouke's father-in-law is worth $20,000,000,000.oo. That is why and how he is being pushed to run for president. The DNC is broke and their staffers want the money. That is the Democratic Party - ANYTHING for money for themselves. Other people's money.

O'Rouke's father-in-law is worth $20,000,000,000.oo. That is why and how he is being pushed to run for president. The DNC is broke and their staffers want the money. That is the Democratic Party - ANYTHING for money for themselves. Other people's money.

any cite showing Beto's father in law has a net worth of $20 Billion

Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
Former Maryland governor and Democratic presidential candidate Martin O’Malley shot down speculation that he would run for president again in 2020, instead saying he hoped Texas Rep. Beto O’Rourke would throw his hat in the ring.

The former longshot candidate laid out his reasons for endorsing O’Rourke in an op-ed in the Des Moines Register published Thursday, calling his failed Senate campaign “a disciplined and principled campaign that also managed to be raw, authentic, and real” and promoting O’Rourke, a former Democratic congressman from El Paso, Texas, as part of a “new generation” of leaders that can unify and heal the country.

O’Malley acknowledged that voters in 2016 may have been angry when they elected Donald Trump as president. But "there is a different mood in our nation" than there was in 2016, he argued, writing that he has seen an appetite for "a unifier and a healer" and "a leader of principle."

O’Rourke has become a darling of the political left over the past year, buoyed by his upstart campaign and narrow defeat against GOP Sen. Ted Cruz in November’s midterms. Though he's said he has not decided whether to run for president, O’Rourke has polled near the top of the pack in what is expected to be an extremely crowded Democratic 2020 field.

O’Rourke’s progressive platform and perspectives as a border state lawmaker make him ideal for the moment, O’Malley wrote in his op-ed, adding that the former Texas congressman's values — and his performance in a historically red state in spite of them — “tell us where America is headed.”

COUNTDOWN TO 2020
The race for 2020 starts now. Stay in the know. Follow our presidential election coverage.

Email
Your email…
By signing up you agree to receive email newsletters or alerts from POLITICO. You can unsubscribe at any time.

“While I will not be running in 2020, I would like to put my faith and trust in a fearless American future,” O’Malley wrote.

“And, I believe the new leader who can best bring us together and turn us around to create that better American future, is Beto O’Rourke.”
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/01/03/omalley-2020-endorses-orourke-1078587

Former Maryland Gov. Martin O’Malley (D) quashed speculation on Thursday of a possible bid for the White House in 2020, and encouraged outgoing Rep. Beto O’Rourke (D-Texas) to take up a campaign for the Democratic nomination.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campai...-wont-run-for-president-in-2020-backs-orourke

“In his courageous run for U.S. Senate in Texas, O’Rourke ran a disciplined and principled campaign that also managed to be raw, authentic, and real,” O’Malley wrote. “He spoke to the American values of honesty, compassion for one another, and courage in the face of a rapidly changing future.”

“These are the values which tell us where America is headed. ...

hope this is the first of many soon-following endorsements

Back
Top Bottom