• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best way to repaint a gun.

cpgrad08

American
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
So my 1911 is going strong but does show signs of Holster wear. I was wondering what is the best product and way to repaint it to make it look like new?

So my 1911 is going strong but does show signs of Holster wear. I was wondering what is the best product and way to repaint it to make it look like new?

Ummm you don't 'repaint' a pistol- you refinish. Most folks don't mess with it until the wear starts to allow rust (most just make a point to wipe the pistol down periodically)

Holster wear is quite common- a sign of 'use'. If it is blued then you can buy touch up cold bluing at any firearm store/Walmart. Easy peasy but not near a durable as hot/factory bluing.

There are other coatings like cerakote- I don't like it. Old school parkerization- pug ugly for sure.

But a little wear marking is like a little grey on the temples... sign of experience.... :peace

As long as rust is not an issue then who cares what it looks like? The value of many classics is reduced by improper repair and/or refinishing. You paint your wagon, not your pistol. ;)

As long as rust is not an issue then who cares what it looks like? The value of many classics is reduced by improper repair and/or refinishing. You paint your wagon, not your pistol. ;)

But what if I want my pistol to match my wagon. :mrgreen:

I would suggest immersing it in any high quality, two part, industrial grade, epoxy, and hang it by a wire to cure.
I guarantee " holster wear" will never be a problem with that gun again.

I don't know of many painted pistols

there are several things you can do

1) if its a blued gun and you want to keep that look you can either

a) use cold blue formula which is the cheapest

b) have a gunsmith completely reblue it with hot blue. This is much more expensive but it will look better

the second set of options involve aftermarket finishes such as DURACOAT (I might be spelling this wrong) which again involve either DIY options or professional applicators.

some of these finishes are a poly matt black, some can involve some pretty wild colors

Lots of makers are featuring OEM pink stocks etc. Lots of revolvers with pink grips. Ruger's little 380 can be had in Pink. My wife has a PINK Beretta NANO and her Smith and Wesson MPs have pink back straps (its the part that you can change out to adjust the grip size)

I have also seen pink furniture for AR 15s-that being the stock, the grip and the hand guard

I would go with Turtldude's post #9.

What's the make, model (civilian or mil. spec, etc.) and year of your 1911 ? If it's a collectors or possible collector in the future, don't mess with the finish, it severely drops it value.

Rebluing is simple but it usually takes a few times to get the finish you want. Best thing to do, take it to a gunsmith who has experience in rebluing.

Reparkerizing is something I have little experience in. Leave it to a professional.

Holster wear is normal, it's like soaking your utilities or cover in sea water so you look like a old salt.

A quality gun smith should be able to reblue it.
But the latest craze is hydrographics.
But I have always found alittle holster wear gives a gun character.

b) have a gunsmith completely reblue it with hot blue. This is much more expensive but it will look better

the second set of options involve aftermarket finishes such as DURACOAT (I might be spelling this wrong) which again involve either DIY options or professional applicators.

some of these finishes are a poly matt black, some can involve some pretty wild colors

I think you have to be careful what you put on the gun and where. There are some tight tolerances on the moving parts, and can be changed by adding coatings. A gunsmith could do the job without affecting any tolerances, or make sure they are sufficient after being recoated. But hey, anyone can put some Rust-O-leum on whatever they want. :mrgreen:

This does not fit. First the only way to wear off the blueing by pulling it out and in a holster is to do it thousands of times. Now if he or she is doing that why then ask about "panting" it?Me smellum jokeum.

Paint it with rhino liner. It'll never shoot again, but with that in mind, holster wear won't be an issue, either.

Ummm you don't 'repaint' a pistol- you refinish. Most folks don't mess with it until the wear starts to allow rust (most just make a point to wipe the pistol down periodically)

Holster wear is quite common- a sign of 'use'. If it is blued then you can buy touch up cold bluing at any firearm store/Walmart. Easy peasy but not near a durable as hot/factory bluing.

There are other coatings like cerakote- I don't like it. Old school parkerization- pug ugly for sure.

But a little wear marking is like a little grey on the temples... sign of experience.... :peace

I just used a Tru-oil gunblue pen. It looks like a Sharpe.

It depends on what you're going for. Do you want to blue it, or do you want a protective coating like Duracoat or Cerakote? Those you can do yourself. If you want to parkerize it, take it to a professional. You can destroy your pistol if you do it wrong.

If it was me? I'd care little and oil it a lot! I carried a 1911 for 15 years as a Policeman until they forced me to carry a Glock the last 10 years. I kept my old Blued Colt Gold Cup oiled because the slide was worn silver from day to day carry for so long.

260489_front500.jpg

:mrgreen:

Here is the Duracoat site. One of the local gun shops here does a lot of business putting this on people's guns.

DuraCoat Firearm Finishes

Back
Top Bottom