• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Things about RETIREMENT.

Hawkeye10

Buttermilk Man
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
What are they, or if you are not there yet what do you expect them to be. Kindly tell us of your experience.

I will go first.

1 year almost on the nose.

The best food of my life, cause I am awesome and now I have time
Lots of drinking and pot, to include really awesome edibles that I can get at my pot store
Almost the best sex of my life..getting what ever I wanted as a horny 23 year old is hard to beat.

Note: this has been done, but it is my one year anniversary.

Right now I am by my pond, with a rum and coke, eating some leftover biscuits and gravy I made for breakfast, about the best I have ever had. I rarely eat fast food now, maybe twice a month. I do need to try the new Sonic though.

Right now I am by my pond, with a rum and coke, eating some leftover biscuits and gravy I made for breakfast, about the best I have ever had. I rarely eat fast food now, maybe twice a month. I do need to try the new Sonic though.

You certainly sound content. On that diet, though, we will be rolling you to market soon. ;)

Cool. How big is your pond?

Best things about retiring comfortably

1. money to blow on silly crap until you realize it is dumb to do that silly crap.

2. Get up when you want to, go to bed when you want to. (note the time of this post)

3. Unlimited time to play with my cats, my guns, my truck, and my new bride....and myself...EEWWWUUU! (there, I said it for you)

4. Time to write more song lyrics / poems and patent my widget. Both done.

5. 60 is the new 40? PROVE IT!...then actually proving it.

6. Having a man cave. Seriously, this is extremely important. There are some hours of the day the wife does NOT want to see your dumb ass anywhere in her field of vision.

WORST THINGS about it all.

1. becoming a bald, fat assed, opinionated, couch potatoe douchebag...and liking it!

2. Wanting to meet new people and socialize, but none of them want to come out and play. The older people get, the more they don't want to do anything with anyone else.

3. Waaay too much time on the internet, playing Spider Solitaire, and regular Solitaire. (again...note time of this post)

4. Cable TV / Netflix / HULU bills through the roof

5. Amazon Prime consumes 37% of your available monthly income. (see point #1 above)

6. Starting a project, not finishing it, and having all its crap strewn all over the man cave.

STILL, this is the HAPPIEST I have ever been in my life.

Last edited:
Cool. How big is your pond?

A bit over 600 gal, with a waterfall that is oversized. I have a nice teak deck to one side and a lot of rock around the rest with a well tended pampas grass. 4 koi, 7 goldfish that are 5 years old and good sized, no plants. It is right next to the house, I actually put in a big window that opens so that we can see it and hear it from inside. The pond is the best thing I did, and it was also the one thing I had my doubts about, because of the expense, but it was well worth it. I also have an outdoor kitchen, a fab patio with firepit for dining, and extensive foliage that is looking the best ever since now I have time to deal with it. I call it my Zen Retreat because it is green and beautiful and because it is private. I live in a 340 home subdivision which is less than 20 years old so yes we have yards unlike some of the places that they are building now but not a lot, I luck out in that of all the homes around me there is only one window that can see into my back yard. Up till 3 years ago it was owned by some Koreans who did not use the room so the window was always closed, now some kids live in that room, this is the only fly in the ointment.

I actually designed the place so that we could comfortably throw parties of up to 50 people, because we thought my wife was going to be a Sergeant Major and entertaining is part of the job, but that third tour in Iraq really messed her up. She has 60% disability PTSD.... she had to retire. I like to throw parties, but they are always smallish, which is kinda a shame. I had to get over my disappointment. Maybe when one of the kids gets married we can do the big party, see how it works.

Last edited:
Best things about retiring comfortably

1. money to blow on silly crap until you realize it is dumb to do that silly crap.

2. Get up when you want to, go to bed when you want to. (note the time of this post)

3. Unlimited time to play with my cats, my guns, my truck, and my new bride....and myself...EEWWWUUU! (there, I said it for you)

4. Time to write more song lyrics / poems and patent my widget. Both done.

5. 60 is the new 40? PROVE IT!...then actually proving it.

6. Having a man cave. Seriously, this is extremely important. There are some hours of the day the wife does NOT want to see your dumb ass anywhere in her field of vision.

WORST THINGS about it all.

1. becoming a bald, fat assed, opinionated, couch potatoe douchebag...and liking it!

2. Wanting to meet new people and socialize, but none of them want to come out and play. The older people get, the more they don't want to do anything with anyone else.

3. Waaay too much time on the internet, playing Spider Solitaire, and regular Solitaire. (again...note time of this post)

4. Cable TV / Netflix / HULU bills through the roof

5. Amazon Prime consumes 37% of your available monthly income. (see point #1 above)

6. Starting a project, not finishing it, and having all its crap strewn all over the man cave.

STILL, this is the HAPPIEST I have ever been in my life.

I think we as a society are far less social than we used to be but I agree....I have time to play now, I have a great place to play, but finding people who want to play is a challenge, which is why I throw small parties not big parties....and I dont think the problem is me.

Very disappointing.

Re the RED: :agree I have concluded that I was born to be retired, it suits me far better than any of the other stages of life.

Last edited:
I think we as a society are far less social than we used to be but I agree....I have time to play now, I have a great place to play, but finding people who want to play is a challenge, which is why I throw small parties not big parties....and I dont think the problem is me.

Very disappointing.

Re the RED: :agree I have concluded that I was born to be retired, it suits me far better than any of the other stages of life.

Yes, a resounding YES. Retirement fits me like a glove. The best job I ever had.

Maybe there is a road trip in my near future.

Might our wives tolerate a weekend of bragging lies of our prowess, washed down with sweet tea (for me at least)

Yes, a resounding YES. Retirement fits me like a glove. The best job I ever had.

Maybe there is a road trip in my near future.

Might our wives tolerate a weekend of bragging lies of our prowess, washed down with sweet tea (for me at least)

New Orleans last summer was the of last travels for a spell, bankruptcy and all, because I am a failed restaurateur.

Slim chance I get to San Antonio to see my brother, we had a bit of a spat in New Orleans.

He issued me an order to shut up.
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Bad Idea.

I did not take it well

Nor did he take well me failing to comply with his order.

New Orleans last summer was the of last travels for a spell, bankruptcy and all, because I am a failed restaurateur.

Slim chance I get to San Antonio to see my brother, we had a bit of a spat in New Orleans.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Bad Idea.

I did not take it well

I am talking about me coming up there with the wife. I have only been to the NW once, and that was during the rose festival in Portland in 86 or 87 I think.

>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
Bad Idea.

I did not take it well

They say over and over again, to not go into business with relatives.

There is no chain of command.

Advantages to retirement:
- eliminate job stress. When I was younger it didn't affect me as much, I sort of thrived on it. With age, it was pulling me down, fatigue, mild depression. Combine it with 2 bone spurs on my spine (constant ache) and a breathing deficiency, and physically I was struggling. Now I feel much better physically. When I need to rest and take a nap, I can. I retired at 61, and I think I will prolong my life by avoiding stress. I thought I had enough money, so more money (working longer) was not a big advantage.
- now I work at what I want to work at. I enjoy the stock market, and that is what I do, in the mornings M-F. I wrote a book on investing, not yet published but I plan to do that on Amazon before year end. I write a blog on the stock market at RichInvesting.wordpress.com .
- I exercise more now, hit the gym 3 days a week, take a bike ride once a week, try to play golf once a week except in winter.

the biggest disadvantage is loss of socialization at work. I'm not in a church, and don't want to do the "meet up" thing. I have lunches and dinners with former co-workers, but its like every other month. I could improve the situation, but other things in my routine would have to go. On further reflection, I just deal with the diminished socialization. Everything has its pro's and con's.

On balance, I'll take retirement.

What are they, or if you are not there yet what do you expect them to be. Kindly tell us of your experience.

I will go first.

1 year almost on the nose.

The best food of my life, cause I am awesome and now I have time
Lots of drinking and pot, to include really awesome edibles that I can get at my pot store
Almost the best sex of my life..getting what ever I wanted as a horny 23 year old is hard to beat.

I do all those things now and I'm not retired.

Got any others? :)

I do all those things now and I'm not retired.

Got any others? :)

You know, you could participate.

So you are not retired.... What do you expect will be the best part, as opposed to the rest of your life, for instance now?

Advantages to retirement:
- eliminate job stress. When I was younger it didn't affect me as much, I sort of thrived on it. With age, it was pulling me down, fatigue, mild depression. Combine it with 2 bone spurs on my spine (constant ache) and a breathing deficiency, and physically I was struggling. Now I feel much better physically. When I need to rest and take a nap, I can. I retired at 61, and I think I will prolong my life by avoiding stress. I thought I had enough money, so more money (working longer) was not a big advantage.
- now I work at what I want to work at. I enjoy the stock market, and that is what I do, in the mornings M-F. I wrote a book on investing, not yet published but I plan to do that on Amazon before year end. I write a blog on the stock market at RichInvesting.wordpress.com .
- I exercise more now, hit the gym 3 days a week, take a bike ride once a week, try to play golf once a week except in winter.

the biggest disadvantage is loss of socialization at work. I'm not in a church, and don't want to do the "meet up" thing. I have lunches and dinners with former co-workers, but its like every other month. I could improve the situation, but other things in my routine would have to go. On further reflection, I just deal with the diminished socialization. Everything has its pro's and con's.

On balance, I'll take retirement.

Let's say you wake up tomorrow and decide that you are done with putting up with the lack of social interaction...let's just suppose....what would you do about it do you think?

They say over and over again, to not go into business with relatives.

There is no chain of command.

I think maybe you get a :thumbs: here...did you just go over my head? I pun I dont get? Maybe you have better weed than I do tonight?....help me out please.

What R U TALKING about?

Let's say you wake up tomorrow and decide that you are done with putting up with the lack of social interaction...let's just suppose....what would you do about it do you think?

1. Volunteer for a Political Cause,
2. big brother type thing,
3. I have a friend who is a retired RN who volunteers as a patient advocate for older folks that don't understand the medical field,
4. the "meet up" site can hook you up with all sorts of groups (business, exercise, reading, philosophy).

There are tons of opportunities. Then you can encounter busy bodies that make life miserable.....

Wife: Arnt you bored in retirement, home all day with nothing to do?
Me: :sword:

I mean I do all the cooking and cleaning and my yard is a masterpiece and I Entertain people regularly some of these people being her friends that I only like so-so, I take care of all the animals and indoor plants and we go out with her workmates and I make her look good, and I help out the kids not and then and I wrote a 48.000? word ( I cant remember the final word count of the book, which I had made) memoir for the kids and maybe 10,000 words of other essays and I socialize and argue at DP. I am catching up on all the movies I missed over 50 years, I am reading for the first time ( I mean seriously reading) in a long time, and....

What was the question again?

Am I BORED?

Last edited:
I think maybe you get a :thumbs: here...did you just go over my head? I pun I dont get? Maybe you have better weed than I do tonight?....help me out please.

What R U TALKING about?

Who needs weed when you got the stuff I got....

OK, I will break it down.

In business there is THE BOSS. Everything goes top down from there.

When two brothers are in business, you gots two brothers....ie

I need sauce on this pasta now!
It ain't done yet!
Then make it done!
No! It will be done in its time.
You can't talk to me like that!
Yes I can!
SHUT UP!
BITE ME!
Mom liked you best!
I am the one that turned your turtle loose in the creek when you were 6..ha ha!
That was you! Well I screwed Mary at the sophomore dance!
****, she was MY date, not yours!
Ha, ha!

no chain of command and clearly defined areas of responsibility.

plus baggage, lots and lots of baggage

please forgive me.

Who needs weed when you got the stuff I got....

OK, I will break it down.

In business there is THE BOSS. Everything goes top down from there.

When two brothers are in business, you gots two brothers....ie

I need sauce on this pasta now!
It ain't done yet!
Then make it done!
No! It will be done in its time.
You can't talk to me like that!
Yes I can!
SHUT UP!
BITE ME!
Mom liked you best!
I am the one that turned your turtle loose in the creek when you were 6..ha ha!
That was you! Well I screwed Mary at the sophomore dance!
****, she was MY date, not yours!
Ha, ha!

no chain of command and clearly defined areas of responsibility.

plus baggage, lots and lots of baggage

please forgive me.

Ya, thats the problem...we were not in business together, in fact he was always opposed to it, then when I failed he told me that he had told me so. And this was not even the tiff, I was willing to deal with that because he is my brother, but when we are in NO with all of my kids you (Him) as my 4 year younger brother who I was never very close to dont sit there and tell me in a loud deliberate voice " DO NOT SAY THAT AGAIN!" when we were having a drunken last night conversation at 2 am at the pool (I love that the pools there are 24/7 and BYOB) that had meandered onto gender politics.

Nobody puts Baby in the corner.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom