• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best revolver in your opinion. 1950 to date.

The official service pistol for the British military during the Second World War was the Enfield No. 2 Mk I . 38/200 calibre revolver.
Cartridge: .455 Webley Mk II.45 ACP
Manufacturer: Webley & Scott, RSAF Enfield
Calibre: .455 (11.6 mm)
Action: Double/ Single Action revolver

The official service pistol for the British military during the Second World War was the Enfield No. 2 Mk I . 38/200 calibre revolver.
Cartridge: .455 Webley Mk II.45 ACP
Manufacturer: Webley & Scott, RSAF Enfield
Calibre: .455 (11.6 mm)
Action: Double/ Single Action revolver

Neither are post 1950.

The most popular was the S&W .38 Special. I don't have the expertise or experience to say which was the best.

I'm no expert, but I've heard that Smith and Wesson is the standard to beat.

I've been eyeballing the 686 Plus recently.

smith_wesson_model_686_plus_3inch_revolver_290750_a.jpg

Post-war
The Webley Mk VI (.455) and Mk IV (.38/200) revolvers were still issued to British and Commonwealth Forces after the Second World War; there were now extensive stockpiles of the revolvers in military stores, yet they suffered from ammunition shortages. This lack of ammunition was instrumental in keeping the Enfield and Webley revolvers in use so long: they were not wearing out because they were not being used. An armourer stationed in West Germany joked by the time they were officially retired in 1963, the ammunition allowance was "two cartridges per man, per year."

The Webley Mk IV .38 revolver was not completely replaced by the Browning Hi-Power until 1963, and saw use in the Korean War, the Suez Crisis, Malayan Emergency and the Rhodesian Bush War. Many Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers were still circulating in British Military service as late as 1970.
"

Webley Revolver - Wikipedia

Post-war
The Webley Mk VI (.455) and Mk IV (.38/200) revolvers were still issued to British and Commonwealth Forces after the Second World War; there were now extensive stockpiles of the revolvers in military stores, yet they suffered from ammunition shortages. This lack of ammunition was instrumental in keeping the Enfield and Webley revolvers in use so long: they were not wearing out because they were not being used. An armourer stationed in West Germany joked by the time they were officially retired in 1963, the ammunition allowance was "two cartridges per man, per year."

The Webley Mk IV .38 revolver was not completely replaced by the Browning Hi-Power until 1963, and saw use in the Korean War, the Suez Crisis, Malayan Emergency and the Rhodesian Bush War. Many Enfield No. 2 Mk I revolvers were still circulating in British Military service as late as 1970.
"

Post 1950. Something from the 1800s (.455) and 1930s (.38) isn't Post 1950.

I'm partial to the Ruger Super Blackhawk Bisley Hunter, 7 1/2" barrel...I prefer single action and feels perfect in my hand. Shoots .44 Special like silk.

I love S&W and have shot most all of their revolvers. Never a bad choice.

But I am seriously biased towards the SP101 .357 3"

It's overbuilt and has serious heft for a small framed revolver.

Handles the .357 round easily, and can spit out .38's all day long without fatigue to your hands and wrists.

I'll show my bias...as they are 2 of the 3 revolvers I have....

The Rossi 38 Special Snub Nosed revolver is a great gun...but its a little big for CCW considering the snubbed barrel.

The S&W Model 28 .357 Highway Patrolman is fantastic. Total hand cannon but actually very comfortable to shoot.

If I ever get my hands on a Charter Arms Bulldog .44 again for the right price...I wont re-sell it again.

What do you believe is the best revolver built in the last 70 years?

Subjective of course, but I've always been fond of S&W. Of the several examples I've owned, I would say my favorite was my 6" blued Mod 17 K-22 Masterpiece.

Of all my revolvers the one i enjoy the most is my Heritage .22 Rough Rider. I've tweaked it a little so it fans decent for what it is and I can plink all day for a few bucks. Younger people at the range stop by and ask what's that a lot. Everyoneone who shoots it has a smile.

So from a strictly pleasure and enjoyment standpoint it's the best revolver I own.

Post-war

"

"The Ordnance Factory Board of India still manufactures .380 Revolver Mk IIz cartridges, as well as a .32 calibre revolver (the IOF .32 Revolver) with 2-inch (51 mm) barrel which is clearly based on the Webley Mk IV .38 service pistol."

"The Ordnance Factory Board of India still manufactures .380 Revolver Mk IIz cartridges, as well as a .32 calibre revolver (the IOF .32 Revolver) with 2-inch (51 mm) barrel which is clearly based on the Webley Mk IV .38 service pistol."

Based on the 1930s revolver.

IOW 1930s.

The Royal Ulster Constabulary (RUC) was the police force in Northern Ireland from 1922 to 2001...unlike the British police, the RUC was routinely armed while on patrol

One of it's weapons was the Ruger Security-Six and its variants, the Service-Six and Speed-Six are a product line of double-action revolvers introduced in 1972 and manufactured until 1988 by Sturm, Ruger & Company. These revolvers were marketed to law enforcement duty issue, military, and civilian self-defense markets.

400px-RugerSecuritySixBlue.jpg

I think the rib of the Python was the inspiration of the 586 rib.

The full length ejector shroud probably. The Python was a ventilated rib though.

I am surprised no call outs for the Colt so far.

To me, Colt is the Harley-Davidson of guns.... you're just paying for the name. Why bother when you can buy an Indian? You get a better bike at a lower price.

I'm more in it for the steak than the sizzle.

Even though S&W is probably my favorite for revolvers, I do own a stainless Ruger Single Six convertible. I don't think I've put 100 rounds through it since new, but it is a fun gun to shoot.

Back
Top Bottom