• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Representation of American Goverment (by party)

What is your best party breakdown of government?

• Republican President/Democratic Congress

Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Democratic President/Republican Congress

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Republican President/Republican Congress

Votes: 1 4.5%
  • Democratic President/Democratic Congress

Votes: 9 40.9%

• Total voters

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
What is the best breakdown for American Government in your eyes?...

I didn't include 3rd parties because I know it's a wish for some, but chances are too slim in reality with the 2-party system we now live with...

You only have 1 choice in that poll (Which by definition is not a choice)

Yes on the surface it looks like four choices, but in reality, it's just one.

Two, actually.

When one party is in the White House and another in the Capitol, they get into gridlock and neither can pursue their BS agenda.

I prefer for the ideas to come from the presidency, and the debate and discussion to come from the House/Senate. I think the Dems are better at progressive ideas that move us forward, and I think that Conservatives are better at picking holes in them and foreseeing possible negative consequences of those ideas. I think that we've done best with liberal leadership in the presidency, and conservative representation in Congress.

I have to agree with Catz on this one. A Democrat president and Republican Congress seems to work best, with the most beneficial and thoughout legislation and policy.

It varies from one year to another, depending on the most pressing issues. Right now I think the best arrangement is Dem president / Dem Congress.

I have to agree with Catz on this one. A Democrat president and Republican Congress seems to work best, with the most beneficial and thoughout legislation and policy.

Hey, homie-g, you've been awfully quiet lately! Good to see you.

I am a democrat, and as such they best represent what I think is an appropriate direction for the country. They screw up sometimes, but overall, for me, the best choice is democrat/democrat.

So far the only combination that has resulted in the BEST results has been Democrat President with a Republican Congress.

What is YOUR opinion of the ONLY choice?

I prefer for the ideas to come from the presidency, and the debate and discussion to come from the House/Senate. I think the Dems are better at progressive ideas that move us forward, and I think that Conservatives are better at picking holes in them and foreseeing possible negative consequences of those ideas. I think that we've done best with liberal leadership in the presidency, and conservative representation in Congress.

That was my choice as well. Clinton was a prolific liar and philanderer, but his Presidency was defined by a Republican Congress that led the agenda to balance the Federal Budget for the first time in decades.

It varies from one year to another, depending on the most pressing issues. Right now I think the best arrangement is Dem president / Dem Congress.

I am stunned by anyone who thinks that this disaster has been a good thing. :doh

No, it has been about nine months

It's been 8 months 9 days. But who's counting? :2razz:

Truth Detector said:
and I am curious how many more months of this disaster do you think it takes to recognize it for what it is?

I'll need to see some evidence of a disaster first.

I'll need to see some evidence of a disaster first.

So you do not think that a $1.6 trillion deficit, a $12 trillion national debt, average monthly job losses of 200,000 for 12 months in excess of 200,000, 12 months of negative GDP, an unemployment rate of nearly 10% and foreclosures continuing at a high rate and more to come as being a disaster?

Damn! :doh

What is the best breakdown for American Government in your eyes?...

I didn't include 3rd parties because I know it's a wish for some, but chances are too slim in reality with the 2-party system we now live with...

none of the above. the US should ban the two parties that you are aligned with and start fresh. you have to many idiots in office that are entrenched because voters keep putting them back in that office.

So you do not think that a $1.6 trillion deficit, a $12 trillion national debt, average monthly job losses of 200,000 for 12 months in excess of 200,000, 12 months of negative GDP, an unemployment rate of nearly 10% and foreclosures continuing at a high rate and more to come as being a disaster?

Damn! :doh

Most of which cannot be blamed, at least entirely, on Obama. If these problems are still around in 3 years, you will be right, till then, it is too early to tell.

So you do not think that a $1.6 trillion deficit,

Nope. In fact, I wish it was higher. Deficit spending is absolutely appropriate for a severe recession. Now, if we continue to run a huge deficit once the economy recovers, I will be the first to agree with you that it's irresponsible.

Truth Detector said:
a $12 trillion national debt,

Only part of that is Obama's doing; the national debt was there before Obama was president and will still be there when he is gone. Since this is Obama's first year, AT MOST you can attribute the current deficit to Obama...not the entire national debt. And honestly you can't even attribute ALL of the current deficit to him, since a lot of that spending was signed by George Bush.

Truth Detector said:
average monthly job losses of 200,000 for 12 months in excess of 200,000, 12 months of negative GDP, an unemployment rate of nearly 10% and foreclosures continuing at a high rate and more to come as being a disaster?

The president has very little control over the current state of the economy. Besides, the economy sucked when Obama took office.

Nope. In fact, I wish it was higher. Deficit spending is absolutely appropriate for a severe recession.

But wait a moment...

The president has very little control over the current state of the economy.

But if deficit spending is good for the economy, doesn't that imply doing so exercises control over it? :confused:

I can't see how anyone but a hyperpartisan would want a single party to run amok, unchecked.

But wait a moment...

But if deficit spending is good for the economy, doesn't that imply doing so exercises control over it? :confused:

What I meant was that the president can't control the ups and downs of the economy. I don't blame George Bush for the crash last September, because it was caused by forces that have little to do with government policy. And to the small extent that government policies were responsible, it was nearly impossible to predict in advance.

However, I do think that public policy can help ease the pains of a severe recession, or slow down an economy that's overheating. The government has two very effective tools at its disposal: The interest rate, and the federal deficit. Keeping the interest rate low helps expand the money supply. But now that the interest rate is effectively zero (due to the severity of the recession), the government has relied more on deficit spending. This is effective as well, although less so than interest rate cuts. When taxes are low and spending is high (i.e. a high deficit), businesses have more cash at their disposal. This will ease the recession pains.

Back
Top Bottom