• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best President in Your Lifetime[W:228]

Who was the best President in your lifetime?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Re: Best President in Your Lifetime

Interesting parallel:

Carter / Obama: "We suck"

Reagan / Trump: "No, we don't suck"

I believe Reagan was a great POTUS in many respects....disagreed with him a bit, but as a POTUS very strong. Where he completely and utterly lost me was the handling of the AIDS crisis. He allowed the "Moral Majority"(turned Christian Coalition to "social conservatives") influence him which lead to letting the AIDS crisis run out of control - causing tremendous loss of life and billions of dollars. The foresight he and his advisors should have had was clouded by potential loss of votes of Christians who thought perhaps Gay people dying was God's will.

I voted for Obama.;)

Ahhh, the other resident sewage expert.

Sewage expert? Correct! I do, after all, read your posts.
In this one thread, already, I have brought more pertinent historical facts to bear than you have in perhaps your entire time on this site.

You haven't brought any that support your asinine assertion though.

Please try again, but try harder this time.

Hmmm, I was born under Carter. So from that point on...probably Reagan. Though there was the whole Iran-Contra thing which I believe is technically treason.

Hmmm, I was born under Carter. So from that point on...probably Reagan. Though there was the whole Iran-Contra thing which I believe is technically treason.

That and the intentional escalation of debt instead of pay as you go taxation are why I put Ronnie third instead of 2nd (I've lived through 11 of them).

Clinton by far the best: Peace, great economy, US respected worldwide

Obama distant second: No scandals except the faux Republican ones. Decent economy, global respect for US as beacon of hope.

Horrible:
Trump: destroying the economy and America's good standing
Bush Jr: Destroyed the economy and gave us a black eye with the waterboarding and shoving broomsticks up a prisoner's ass
Carter: Great guy, bad leader

Meh:
JFK: maybe he would be great if not shot; getting shot is why so many think he is great.
Johnson: Would have been great if not for Vietnam
Nixon: Almost pulled off great, but for that Watergate thing.
Ford: Was he a president?
HW: Reminds me of American food: bland and mushy

A recent Pew Poll has shown that President Obama is clearly chosen as best president in the respondents' replies:

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/07/11/obama-president-clinton-reagan-trump-713627

It might be interesting to see how DP stacks up with the general population. In keeping with the Pew Poll method, you may pick two of the presidents listed below as being the best in YOUR lifetime.

Being limited to 10, I listed Kennedy....that should have been Johnson. Perhaps for purposes of this poll we can view that as one administration?

I would guess that was because the question was posed as it was.

A lot of children vote when Obama was the only President in their lifetime, or at least the only one they remember.

By children i mean millennials.

That and the intentional escalation of debt instead of pay as you go taxation are why I put Ronnie third instead of 2nd (I've lived through 11 of them).

Clinton by far the best: Peace, great economy, US respected worldwide

Obama distant second: No scandals except the faux Republican ones. Decent economy, global respect for US as beacon of hope.

Horrible:
Trump: destroying the economy and America's good standing
Bush Jr: Destroyed the economy and gave us a black eye with the waterboarding and shoving broomsticks up a prisoner's ass
Carter: Great guy, bad leader

Meh:
JFK: maybe he would be great if not shot; getting shot is why so many think he is great.
Johnson: Would have been great if not for Vietnam
Nixon: Almost pulled off great, but for that Watergate thing.
Ford: Was he a president?
HW: Reminds me of American food: bland and mushy

I would take Carter over Trump in a heartbeat.

As for Nixon...man, I know, Watergate. But in the modern era that would hardly have even been a thing. Plus he opened relations with China, he got us out of Vietnam, he created the EPA. I know he was a paranoid bastard...but in 2018, I'm ready to forgive that. Let's clone Nixon and put him back in office.

Sewage expert? Correct! I do, after all, read your posts.

You haven't brought any that support your asinine assertion though.

Please try again, but try harder this time.

Was trying to bring it down to your level... get out your binoculars, look up...I am way up here. :2wave:

Sorry, I couldn't vote for any. :no:

My heart wanted Kennedy, but to be honest I was a kid when he was elected and thus subject to the positive atmosphere his election brought to America. But he really didn't serve long enough to prove his merit before his assassination.

While I voted for Obama when he ran for President, swept up in the hope he would be "something special," I can't think of anything he actually did that I can say I supported wholeheartedly. I can think of several that I did not support (his caving to the "Black outrage" over Trevon Martin for one, which IMO led to all this BLM 'whites want to kill blacks' narrative). So in no way is he "the best" either.

Trump is only in his second year, and while I support many of the things he's accomplished, and those he has tried to, I am also unhappy with his "bull in a china shop" methodology, so I can't in good conscience vote him the best...I need to see how his administration pans out.

I supported President Nixon back in the day because he got us out of Vietnam via a peace agreement (people tend to forget there WAS a peace agreement during the Paris accords), got 18 year-olds the right to vote, and a few other things. But that all went out the window with Watergate. Can't vote for him either.

Ford and Carter were "non-entities" in office. That is not "best" material.

Reagan started off well, and his hard line with Russia while working with Gorbachev on glasnost finally ended the cold war and the Soviet Union fell. However, he lost his faculties somewhere just prior to his second term and it was his wife and advisors who were really running the show then.

Bush Sr. was pretty straight-forward, and while I did not want us to go to war with Iraq, I agreed that we had a valid treaty obligation with Kuwait and had to do something. Other than that I didn't see him do much during his Presidency except keep pushing the Reagan doctrines.

Clinton was not trustworthy, while Bush Jr. was not only a goof controlled by Dick Cheney, but he got us steamrolled into another war which has yet to end and has been going on longer than any other conflict the US was ever involved in.

So I have to vote OTHER. I don't feel any President on that list was "the best," only the "least worst." :shrug:

I generally agree

To me the least worst was Bush 1

Stopped some of the excess of the Reagan admin (very high deficit spending) but invaded Panama for idiotic reasons

I am excluding Carter, and Johnson as I was born in the early 70s and did not care about politics when I was in elementary school or diapers

Was trying to bring it down to your level... get out your binoculars, look up...I am way up here. :2wave:

Lulz. Standing on an imaginary pedestal of your own making again?

Sorry you couldn't back up your claim about Obama.

'Twas ever thus.

As for Nixon...man, I know, Watergate. But in the modern era that would hardly have even been a thing. Plus he opened relations with China, he got us out of Vietnam, he created the EPA. I know he was a paranoid bastard...but in 2018, I'm ready to forgive that. Let's clone Nixon and put him back in office.

He did a LOT more bad **** than just Watergate.

He purposefully created the WOD as a poltical weapon against the left, and all the havoc and destruction that it's wreaked on our country.

He interfered in peace negotiation in Vietnam and lengthened the war, causing millions of deaths, to say nothing of the secret bombings of Cambodia.

The man was a paranoid megalomaniac with all the morals of an ice weasel on speed.

**** him and **** him memory.

He did a LOT more bad **** than just Watergate.

He purposefully created the WOD as a poltical weapon against the left, and all the havoc and destruction that it's wreaked on our country.

He interfered in peace negotiation in Vietnam and lengthened the war, causing millions of deaths, to say nothing of the secret bombings of Cambodia.

The man was a paranoid megalomaniac with all the morals of an ice weasel on speed.

**** him and **** him memory.

Robot Nixon Campaign.jpg
Robot Nixon.jpg

Lulz. Standing on an imaginary pedestal of your own making again?

Sorry you couldn't back up your claim about Obama.

'Twas ever thus.

Slendermans numerous and monstrous failures methodically taken apart by his better are readily apparent for all to see. Well, one does have to be able to scratch up at least a modicum of common sense.

Obama was the best, or most liked? It says Obama was most favored in the younger generation, which tells me they are basing it on personality. Based on personality, I totally agree.

I don't think it necessary to bash the younger generation. They are capable of choosing who they think was the best president. Having been alive a shorter time, they have a smaller field to choose from.

I liked Nixon for several reasons: Managed to keep the country together after hell on earth phase in the late 60's. Winning by a sliver only four months after the front runner was assassinated kept him humble, unlike that Orange buffoon we have today. Learned from his mistakes, also unlike the buffoon.

If you look at the '72 election, you really have to wonder why he did the cheating thing. The guy won like 48 states.

Slendermans numerous and monstrous failures methodically taken apart by his better are readily apparent for all to see. Well, one does have to be able to scratch up at least a modicum of common sense.

wtf is this supposed to mean?

Ike wasn't on the list, but he's a tough act to follow.

After that, I'd rather give grade scores. Most of them get a D, Nixon gets a F-, Cheney gets a F--, Obama gets a B- (maybe a C, a bit early to tell).

But it's not too early for Trump. He gets a F---------------------------------------------. He has a real shot at becoming the worst.

You cant read and process simple sentences either? Wow. My condolences.

Oh, I got it, you're nothing but a RW put down artist. No condolences would penetrate your head so I won't bother, but my sympathies go out to your wife and kids.

IF only Mr Obama could mentor trump into being a gentleman..
impossible
IMO, its is necessary for our president to be a real bastard (why trump is successful - thus far) but der furher does go too far .. I'd vote Obama or Carter - but they were , IMO, too nice .

Shockingly, I voted “Obama” even though I was not really a supporter of his. The main reason is Obama was handed a financial and economic disaster, and had to work through that recovery with a combative Congress. I did not agree with all he (and Democrats) did and he sure faced a level of political division that was atrocious, but a few things were accomplished along the way.

Was not 100% confident in my vote, just saying.

Back
Top Bottom