• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Best Pitcher of All-time?

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
I personnally like Nolan Ryan. But has anyone put up numbers like Bob Gibson did in 1967? Over 300 innings with an earned run average of 1.02!

Originally posted by Deegan:
Mine would be Johnny Vander Meer, I know it's a little biased, but he's my great uncle, or something to that effect, and I have his signed baseball
Those are good credentials. Back-to-back is a very powerful statement.
And I'm not being sarcastic.

Billo_Really said:
Those are good credentials. Back-to-back is a very powerful statement.
And I'm not being sarcastic.

He was a great guy, I got to meet him right before he passed away, was still a real fire plug, at 82.:cool:

Again I am not going to go with stats but rather with what I have seen in person.

Whitey Ford

Worth a mention is that i saw him pitch agaisnt Bobby Shantz of the then Philadelpfa A's. Shantz gave Ford a good run and he was only 5'6" tall. it looked like the bat-boy was pitching.

Billo_Really said:
I personnally like Nolan Ryan. But has anyone put up numbers like Bob Gibson did in 1967? Over 300 innings with an earned run average of 1.02!

Being a Cardinal fan I like Gibson, but one season doesn't make the all-time list. Clemens performs every year. Ryan is also great.

Originally Posted by independent_thinker2002:
Being a Cardinal fan I like Gibson, but one season doesn't make the all-time list. Clemens performs every year. Ryan is also great.
I know and your right. But just think about it. That many innings with that low of an average. Doesn't seem possible to me. That's kicking major ass in a major way!

Billo_Really said:
I know and your right. But just think about it. That many innings with that low of an average. Doesn't seem possible to me. That's kicking major ass in a major way!

Yes it was the most incredible season, Go Cards!!!

Originally posted by independent_thinker2002:
Yes it was the most incredible season, Go Cards!!!
What! F_ck the Cards. Go Dodgers and Angels.

One season - Mr Gibson:mrgreen:
lifetime - Mr Clemens
in this company Nolan Ryan is but above average...
Greg Maddox did have one season that was maybe the equal of Gibsons best.
ERA, is not the only thing, winning is..

I have already made my pick above but I have a question.
Is there any kind of formula for players from one era to another? I'd like to see how those guys in the early days who started 50 games a year and threw both games of a double header and so on. Anybody got any ideas on thet?

Inuyasha said:
I have already made my pick above but I have a question.
Is there any kind of formula for players from one era to another? I'd like to see how those guys in the early days who started 50 games a year and threw both games of a double header and so on. Anybody got any ideas on that?

Rather a tough one - Most men say that todays athlete is bigger, better trained,etc,etc - which is true.
Cy Young would not stand a chance against todays Yankees,IMO...
I do not think anything good comes of making these comparisons..
Roger Clemens won 7 Cy Youngs - How many did Cy Young win ??? lol lol lol

Seriously, the factor that I would use is the degree to which a certain athlete excelled over his competition...
For instance, Bob Gibson with his 1.02 ERA, but where was Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax ???

Originally posted by earthworm:
Rather a tough one - Most men say that todays athlete is bigger, better trained,etc,etc - which is true.
Cy Young would not stand a chance against todays Yankees,IMO...
I do not think anything good comes of making these comparisons..
Roger Clemens won 7 Cy Youngs - How many did Cy Young win ??? lol lol lol

Seriously, the factor that I would use is the degree to which a certain athlete excelled over his competition...
For instance, Bob Gibson with his 1.02 ERA, but where was Don Drysdale and Sandy Koufax ???
I still say Nolan Ryan is my guy for best pitcher. But I will admit to feeling a little funny about that. Because anyone that ever saw Sandy Koufax pitch, it is hard to think that anyone could be better than that!

Back
Top Bottom