• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Military Quote

Navy Pride

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
"When I joined the military it was illegal

to be homosexual, then it became optional.

I'm getting out before Obama makes it mandatory."

-GySgt Harry Berres, USMC

"The reason the American Army does so well in wartime, is that war is chaos, and the American Army practices it on a daily basis."
- from a post-war debriefing of a German General

"In Vietnam they gave me a medal for killing 2 men.
And a discharge for loving one"

Reactions: bub

Oh and another thing...

You wanna show me how Obama is planning to make everyone in the military touch each other in the shower if he repeals DADT?

"Stupid people in the military are a problem, but it's not that hard to overcome it. It's when those stupid people manage to rise in rank that it becomes a serious problem."

-Paraphrase of SCPO Jackson, comments made to me and a few others.

No idea why his comments popped into mind when I read the quote you posted...

It should be pointed out that some of the fiercest warriors of the ancient world were the Spartans, and many (if not most) of those soldiers were homosexual or bi-sexual.

Just sayin' is all...

We are not retreating - we are advancing in another direction.
- Douglas MacArthur

"All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time." -- Lieutenant General Lewis Burwell "Chesty" Puller, USMC

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight – it’s the size of the fight in the dog"
-Dwight D. Eisenhower

General Smedley D. Butler USMC
"I spent 33 years and four months in active military service and during that period I spent most of my time as a high class muscle man for Big Business, for Wall Street and the bankers. In short, I was a racketeer, a gangster for capitalism. I helped make Mexico and especially Tampico safe for American oil interests in 1914. I helped make Haiti and Cuba a decent place for the National City Bank boys to collect revenues in. I helped in the raping of half a dozen Central American republics for the benefit of Wall Street. I helped purify Nicaragua for the International Banking House of Brown Brothers in 1902-1912. I brought light to the Dominican Republic for the American sugar interests in 1916. I helped make Honduras right for the American fruit companies in 1903. In China in 1927 I helped see to it that Standard Oil went on its way unmolested. Looking back on it, I might have given Al Capone a few hints. The best he could do was to operate his racket in three districts. I operated on three continents."
-General Smedley D. Butler USMC
War Is Racket

My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of the higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military.
-General Smedley Butler USMC

yeah; that's a sad case. :shrug: what happens when a man spends 20 odd years living a self-contradiction; eventually you snap.

To the German Commander, NUTS!, The American Commander
General Anthony McAuliffe
in reply to this german request for surrender:
To the U.S.A. Commander of the encircled town of Bastogne.

The fortune of war is changing. This time the U.S.A. forces in and near Bastogne have been encircled by strong German armored units. More German armored units have crossed the river Our near Ortheuville, have taken Marche and reached St. Hubert by passing through Hompre-Sibret-Tillet. Libramont is in German hands.

There is only one possibility to save the encircled U.S.A. troops from total annihilation: that is the honorable surrender of the encircled town. In order to think it over a term of two hours will be granted beginning with the presentation of this note.

If this proposal should be rejected one German Artillery Corps and six heavy A. A. Battalions are ready to annihilate the U.S.A. troops in and near Bastogne. The order for firing will be given immediately after this two hours term.

All the serious civilian losses caused by this artillery fire would not correspond with the well-known American humanity.

The German Commander.

no doubt, McAuliffe had some huge ones

I believe if we had, and would, keep our dirty, bloody, dollar-crooked fingers out of the business of these nations so full of depressed, exploited people, they will arrive at a solution of their own. That they design and want. That they will fight and work for...and not the American style, which they don't want. Not one crammed down their throats by Americans. --the late General David M. Schoop, USMC, recipient of the Congressional Medal of Honor for heroism during World War II, and Commandant of the United States Marine Corp, 1960-63.

Persevere.
Guy

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed. This world in arms is not spending money alone. It is spending the sweat of its laborers, the genius of its scientists, the hopes of its children. This is not a way of life at all in any true sense. Under the clouds of war, it is humanity hanging on a cross of iron." Dwight Eisenhower

"The world has achieved brilliance without wisdom, power without conscience. Ours is a world of nuclear giants and ethical infants. We know more about war that we know about peace, more about killing that we know about living." Omar Bradley

"War is Hell."
- William Tecumseh Sherman

Sep 20, 2011 10:02 AM by CBS News

"Don't Ask, Don't Tell," the law that prevented gays and lesbians from serving openly in the U.S. military, is now a thing of the past.

Repeal of the 1993 law took effect at midnight.

Best Military quote:

"Hey kids, who wants to put things in my pouch?" Captain Kangaroo (I think he was in Army)

"Do that to me one more time" Captain Daryl Dragon (Navy, I believe)

"SHAZAM!" - Captain Marvel (Justice Society of America)

"The Object of war is not to die for your country, but to make the other bastard die for his"- Patton

Wellington had a similar opinion of his men too.

"I don't know what effect these men will have upon the enemy, but, by God, they frighten me!"

Back
Top Bottom