• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Manga and Anime

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Long ago I used to have some definite interest in both manga and some anime(Urusei Yatsura and Robotech TV/movies for example). Kinda interested in getting back into some of this, but most of the old stuff is not available any more or hard to find anyway, and I know almost nothing about the new stuff. So, looking for suggestions. Is Naruto worth getting into?

Naruto would be like any long running, fighting anime. I watch it and read the manga, have for some time. But it's been going on for a LONG time. It's up there with Bleach and One Piece, those three making up the long running anime I love to keep watching. One Piece being my favorite as I have an unhealthy obsession with pirates. These, though, are the standard fighting anime/manga which go on for seemingly forever and the main characters just keep getting more powerful. Of course, I will forever plug Evangelion. It gets a bit weird at the end, but it's still really good. It's actually the anime that really drew me into the world and thus I have it set as one of my altime favorites.

If you have Netflix, I would recommend giving Soul Eater a try. The first few volumes are on instant. I like the anime a lot and I think that it's one of the best drawn anime series I have seen in quite some time. Gurren Lagann is, IMO, a must see and also on Netflix instant Q. Moribito and Mushishi are both excellent, plot driven anime. Not a ton of action, but a very good story and it's mostly single arc. Trigun takes a bit of getting into, but once you do I think it's worth it because it's awesome. There is the standard Cowboy Bebop which is generally enjoyed by all that like anime. Other manga I really like includes Pandora Hearts and Fairy Tail. For older stuff, I really do like the older Gundam. The newer stuff kinda lost touch with what the anime was originally; some of it is not bad, but other ones are. Basilisk is a great, bloody anime in the style of Ninja Scroll and I like it a lot. Ninja killing each other and other brutal stuffs. Yay.

Bleach and Evangelion where both on my short list to think about. Have heard good things about both.

My tastes are too embarrassingly mainstream to mention. :3oops:

But I like anime!

Long ago I used to have some definite interest in both manga and some anime(Urusei Yatsura and Robotech TV/movies for example). Kinda interested in getting back into some of this, but most of the old stuff is not available any more or hard to find anyway, and I know almost nothing about the new stuff. So, looking for suggestions. Is Naruto worth getting into?

You might want to try Netflix. They are recently increasing the anime section. I used to be into it, and then I was out of it for about 4 years. Up until I got Netflix I didn't watch any. Now I find myself occasionally watching episodes of anime that they have on there.

Bleach and Evangelion where both on my short list to think about. Have heard good things about both.

Evangelion is a one season anime, there's 26 or so episodes I believe. To give you a sense of scale on Bleach, it's currently around chapter 450 on the manga and up to episode 326 on the anime. Now that 326 includes the filler episodes, almost all of which are crap (as is true with a lot of anime). Naruto has run a lot longer, and is broken into two pieces. One being Naruto and the other being Naruto Shippoden (sp?). All the very long and continuous running anime such as Bleach, One Piece, and Naruto will have A LOT of chapters and episodes.

Mainstream is cool. What anime?

I really liked Sailor Moon when I was younger, but the Japanese version. I watched it all the way to the end of the series. The North American dub was pretty awful. I also like Inuyasha, again the Japanese version.

Movies... Ghost in the Shell (first one is better but the second is best), Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Origin: Spirits of the Past.

A modern North American anime that is a combination of western, Japanese, and Korean styles (it was done in three different countries) is The Avatar: The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed that one. (Don't see the movie, it was god awful.)

I want some ideas for anime series I should check out.

I like fantasy type anime that takes place in the ancient world, with gods, demons, and magic. I also like modern style with high technology.

I can't stand extraneous dialogue that doesn't aid the storyline, or dialogue that is light and fluffy where they spend 20 minutes expressing their feelings for each other to setup an obvious separation later in the movie. I need to see fighting scenes that are well choreographed. It should be beautiful but raw.

Make sense?

No, I'm not back*, just passing through. With some recommendations.
(*Probably)

Mentioned so far:
Naruto is OK if you're watching lots of episodes all at once, otherwise you will get increasingly annoyed with its bad habit of repetition and 'previously on' - anything to reuse past footage (for want of a better term)
Bleach is definitely quite fun - and the filler isn't too bad either, when it's a whole new story arc of filler, though the one-off filler episodes are insta-skips. The manga is definitely worth a read too.
Trigun is also worth a watch - it's the only anime I've ever watched where I've been able to put up with the dubbing rather than subtitling it up, and though it takes a while to get going, it never stops building in awesomeness until the end.

Not mentioned so far (for shame!):
Black Lagoon is entirely awesome: John Woo-esque action and a great set of characters, I'd love there to be more of this made.
Death Note is also fantastic - the only reason I've never seen the last quarter-season of the anime is because I got too impatient and read the manga instead.
I really want to get around to watching an anime called Monster, which looks intriguing, but I have a loooooooooooooong list of 'things I want to watch', so it'll take a while.

Passing mentions:
Helsing (some awesome moments), Darker Than Black (intriguing), Noir (good music!), Devil May Cry (mindless stylized action), Claymore (potential, but I never saw many episodes), Full Metal Alchemist (practically mandatory watching and it looked quite good, but again haven't seen more than a few episodes).

Bizarro mentions:
Elfen Lied is brilliant, but seriously gratuitous - nudity and gore aplenty, which almost put me off.
Serial Experiment: Lain is very very cool, but also very very trippy, and certainly is not for everyone. Also quite hard to describe.

Films:
Anything by Ghibli. End of. Laputa (castle in the sky) and Nautisca (valley of the winds) are my favorites, with Mononoke and Spirited Away coming in close second. Even silly films like My Neighbor Totoro are beautifully made, if not terribly plot-heavy. Ghibli adaptions of Western novels are also fairly good - Howls Moving Castle and Earthsea aren't bad watching, though I don't think any film could do Earthsea proper justice.

Blue Sky (wonderful days) is an excellent Korean (?) anime film set in the future, definitely worth seeing. Other good future-anime would probably include Vexille, Appleseed and the GiTS films.

That's all I can bring to mind for the moment...

I really liked Sailor Moon when I was younger, but the Japanese version. I watched it all the way to the end of the series. The North American dub was pretty awful. I also like Inuyasha, again the Japanese version.

Movies... Ghost in the Shell (first one is better but the second is best), Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Origin: Spirits of the Past.

A modern North American anime that is a combination of western, Japanese, and Korean styles (it was done in three different countries) is The Avatar: The Last Airbender. I really enjoyed that one. (Don't see the movie, it was god awful.)

See, nothing wrong with any of that. What got me into it was Robotech, Lone Wolf and Cub, and Akira, and it don't get much more mainstream than those.

^ Yeah I know. I guess I'm a closet anime fan, since people seem to make fun of it sometimes.

One of my personal favorite anime series is called Now and Then, Here and There. It is a very intense science fiction series about time travel. It's got a very vivid depiction of a dypstopic future, and takes on some very heavy themes like slavery and child soldiers in a sober but hopeful way. It also has some of the best writing in any anime I've seen.

Evangelion is good for a watch through, the movie evangelion 2.0 is fan-****ing-incredibletastick.

Unfortunately Ive been turned off by alot of the new anime I run into. I don't have access to whats new and good and suits me really.

You could always go to Ghost in the Shell. :)

I'm another one who got into anime years ago. As you can see if you look left, I still have an appreciation for the art form, but I haven't really watched or read any of it in quite a while.

Another vote for Evangelion. It's the only series I've re-watched. Twice. End of Evangelion blew my head up. It's awesome.

Hellsing is awesome - vampire-based series with a really awesome ambiance. I also like Great Teacher Onizuka, although I could never figure out exactly why. Paprika was a good movie too - fairly trippy.

Serial Experiment Lain was one I never finished, but I remember diggin' on it.

Man, it's been a while.

I refuse to read/watch vampire based **** any more. Seriously, if Twilight was not bad enough, it gave the world True Blood.

I really liked "Sailor Moon" and "Ronin Warriors," which was my introduction to anime along with "Dragonball" - that is, if you don't count "Robotech" and "Voltron."

I was a teen in the 90's, so I really like that older stuff when it comes to movies. Here are a few titles you could check out. I warn you - I've seen most of these movies either as a child or as a teen, and so there may be some serious nostalgia filtering going on here.

Anime I've watched and enjoyed
"Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind"
"The Sea Prince and the Fire Child"
"Vampire Hunter D"
"Wicked City"
"3x3 Eyes"
"Ninja Scroll"
"Dominion Tank Police"
"Wings of Honneamise"
"Lily C.A.T."
"8 Man After"
"The Fantastic Adventures of Unico" and "Unico in the Island of Magic"
"Grimm's Fairy Tale Classics"
"S-Cry-ed"

Titles I haven't seen but you may want to check out
"Guyver"
"Crying Freeman"
"Silent Moebius"
"Legend of Galactic Heroes"
"Patlabor"
"Perfect Blue"
"Record of Lodoss War"
"Slayers"
"Vampire Princess Miyu"

American animation greatly influenced by anime
"Exo-Squad"
"Gargoyles" (but not "The Goliath Chronicles")
"Transformers: Beast Wars" and "Beast Machines"

So I've talked this over with a friend of mine and he would like me to add a few of his suggestions to this list, as he feels the list I provided was far too biased to my personal tastes, which I agree it is.

Akira
Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
InuYasha
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Samurai Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Tenchi Muyo
Gundam series

If you'll note, I added more tv shows in this list than there are in the previous list. This is because I seriously dislike anime tv shows because I find them slow and I despise filler episodes.

See, in Japanese entertainment what's usually the start of a franchise is a manga, and then if it proves popular it then gets turned into an anime. But what happens is that the creators of the anime want to follow the storyline of the manga. Only the manga can lag behind the production schedule of the anime. Which means that the anime producers often make "filler episodes" which are there just to fill in the space between episodes until the manga catches up with the anime.

Because of these reasons I personally despise most anime tv shows. Limited miniseries are okay, but I just don't have the time to watch most long-running anime tv shows. You might like them, however, so I was cajoled into including a few above.

BTW, do you mind if I ask what anime shows and movies you've already seen and enjoy?

So I've talked this over with a friend of mine and he would like me to add a few of his suggestions to this list, as he feels the list I provided was far too biased to my personal tastes, which I agree it is.

Akira
Rurouni Kenshin (Samurai X)
Outlaw Star
Cowboy Bebop
InuYasha
Princess Mononoke
Spirited Away
Samurai Seven
Fullmetal Alchemist
Trigun
Tenchi Muyo
Gundam series

If you'll note, I added more tv shows in this list than there are in the previous list. This is because I seriously dislike anime tv shows because I find them slow and I despise filler episodes.

See, in Japanese entertainment what's usually the start of a franchise is a manga, and then if it proves popular it then gets turned into an anime. But what happens is that the creators of the anime want to follow the storyline of the manga. Only the manga can lag behind the production schedule of the anime. Which means that the anime producers often make "filler episodes" which are there just to fill in the space between episodes until the manga catches up with the anime.

Because of these reasons I personally despise most anime tv shows. Limited miniseries are okay, but I just don't have the time to watch most long-running anime tv shows. You might like them, however, so I was cajoled into including a few above.

BTW, do you mind if I ask what anime shows and movies you've already seen and enjoy?

Good God I have seen every one of those.

My top 10 series list would be...

1-Full Metal Alchemist
2-Death Note
3-Kenichi, The Greatest Disciple
4-Trigun
5-Hunter X Hunter
6-Ghost Hound
7-Cowboy Bebop
8-Nana
9-Law of Ueki
10-Major

Top 5 movies...

1. Princess Mononke
2. Spirited Away
3. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
4. Pom Poko
5. Howl's Moving Castle

Now..... best hentais...

:wrings hands in sleazy expectation:

Manga:

Negima, Solanin, Yotsuba&!, Getbackers, Dot Hack Twilight, Happy Cafe, Liar Game, Azumanga Daioh, Not Simple, Gravitation, and Dengeki Daisy

Anime:

Cowboy Bebop, K-ON!, Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Ergo Proxy, Outlaw Star, Gundam 00, Gundam Wing, Strawberry Panic!

Will name others later on.

Long ago I used to have some definite interest in both manga and some anime(Urusei Yatsura and Robotech TV/movies for example). Kinda interested in getting back into some of this, but most of the old stuff is not available any more or hard to find anyway, and I know almost nothing about the new stuff. So, looking for suggestions.

Some of my favorites are,most of which you should be able to purchase online or maybe some of your local video stores.-

Black Lagoon
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
Ninja Scroll
Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040
Ergo Proxy - MyAnimeList.net
Ah! My Goddess - MyAnimeList.net
Hundred Stories - MyAnimeList.net
Batman: Gotham Knight - MyAnimeList.net
Mad Bull 34 - MyAnimeList.net
AD Police Files - MyAnimeList.net
Parasite Dolls - MyAnimeList.net
Kite - MyAnimeList.net
Mezzo Forte - MyAnimeList.net
Metropolis - MyAnimeList.net
Paprika - MyAnimeList.net
Cowboy Bebop - MyAnimeList.net
Afro Samurai - MyAnimeList.net
Hellsing - MyAnimeList.net
Higurashi no Naku Koro ni - MyAnimeList.net
Texhnolyze - MyAnimeList.net

If you really liked Urusei Yatsura then you might like Inukami!

Inukami! - MyAnimeList.net!

Is Naruto worth getting into?

My 15 year old niece and 12 year old nephew likes Naruto. But I never got into it.

Last edited:
Death Note for me is the best Anime I've ever seen. It's something else.

Back
Top Bottom