• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Manga and Anime

Long ago I used to have some definite interest in both manga and some anime(Urusei Yatsura and Robotech TV/movies for example). Kinda interested in getting back into some of this, but most of the old stuff is not available any more or hard to find anyway, and I know almost nothing about the new stuff. So, looking for suggestions. Is Naruto worth getting into?

I still haven't seen Naruto; maybe one of these days. Honestly, I'm generally averse to the really long animes though; I kind of like the surprises that I get from new series that aren't around too long. The one exception I've made was Bleach, mainly because my roomate was a huge fan; ironically, I only really got into it after I'd left the apartment we shared, but he'd definitely set me to watch the first few episodes, which for me is generally the largest hurdle for me to commit to an anime (I've stopped a lot of series after watching the first episode or only part of the first episode; some I've come backed to and really liked, others are still on the shelf).

Anyway, here are what I believe are my top 5, in order of topness (not sure if that's a word but I'm sure you catch my drift -.-):

St. Luminous Mission High School

Description from Wikipedia (it's changed a bit since I found this, but I like this version better):

When his grandfather dies, Kaihei inherits the post of chairman at an eccentric private girl's school which emphasises the personal freedom of its students. But he arrives to find that one of the students has gone missing. As he investigates Melina's disappearance more students vanish, strange events occur and his position is placed under increasing pressure from teachers and parents. Despite seeming to have many of the elements of a typical school harem anime, St Luminous instead focuses on plot.

I think they should have included that it really focuses on the characters. I also feel that people going missing can be interpreted as something else, a subject that they do bring up, if briefly. My summation is that, despite its cheesy moments, in the course of 13 episodes, the series does an excellent job of describing the effects of caring for someone/love, how not having it can take people to a place that is not known and having or getting it can get them to come back. It speaks of both the fragility and power of love in a time of great emotional turmoil for most people (their teen years), not by intellectual discussion but by the actions of the characters and the story line. My former girlfriend once caught me singing the introductory theme song in my sleep once... it's just an anime I don't think I'll ever forget and of all the animes I've seen, I think its speaks most to me of why I'm here today.

2- Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom

Description from here:

Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom - MyAnimeList.net

Mafia is rife in America where assassinations are a regular occurrence on the streets. Inferno, a mysterious company, is behind most of these dealings through the use of their near-invincible human weapon, "Phantom."

One day, a Japanese tourist accidentally witnesses Phantom’s latest murder. Desperate to escape, the tourist hides in a secluded building. However, Phantom, revealed to be a young woman named Ein, and the leader of Inferno ‘Scythe Master’ captures the tourist and brainwashes him.

Given the name ’Zwei’, this once peaceful tourist is now a puppet of Inferno with no memories. Drawn into a world of lies, deceit, and violence, Zwei must fight to survive, hopefully to one day regain his memories and escape from this world where he is constantly on the brink of death.

This anime was an emotional roller coaster for me, but it left an impression that I'm still thinking of now.

3- Rah Xephon (Series)

4- Grave of the Fireflies (film) Very sad. Based in part on an semi-autobiographical novel.
Roger Ebert considers it to be one of the most powerful war movies ever made and recently included it on his Great Movies list.[1]

5- Code Geass

6- Black Lagoon

7- Rozen Maiden

8- Elfed Lied

9- Ghost in the Shell

10- Wolf Brigrade (film) Pretty sad.

11- Spirited away (film)

12- Howl's Flying Castle (film)

13- Princess Mononoke

14- Bleach

The only mangas I read are bleach and Naruto. Top three would be:

1) Death Note
2) Bleach
3) Naruto

Death Note's masterfully written. Bleach has excellent graphic, unique characters, and deepening intrigue with the Quincy drama. Naruto is like Pokemon in that the main protagonist is on a seemingly never-ending quest. The only characters that were particularly interesting were Sasori, Deidara, and Kisame. The prime of the Akatsuki story made this manga shine.

The only mangas I read are bleach and Naruto. Top three would be:

1) Death Note
2) Bleach
3) Naruto

Death Note's masterfully written. Bleach has excellent graphic, unique characters, and deepening intrigue with the Quincy drama. Naruto is like Pokemon in that the main protagonist is on a seemingly never-ending quest. The only characters that were particularly interesting were Sasori, Deidara, and Kisame. The prime of the Akatsuki story made this manga shine.

It seems everyone but me has watched Death Note, laugh :). I saw maybe the first episode but stopped there because I wasn't getting into it. Thinking maybe I should give it another try.

I definitely liked Bleach a lot :). I probably wouldn't have gotten into it if it weren't for a room mate of mine who was crazy about it, read the mangas too :). I didn't actually watch much of it while I lived with him, but the seed was in place, and I ended up watching the rest later on.

I know that Naruto is pretty big as well, but I've never gotten into it. Perhaps because I didn't have any room mates who were crazy about it, laugh :). May check it out one of these days too.

Back
Top Bottom