• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Manga and Anime

For me, I have nothing but positive things to say about Cowboy Bebop, Hellsing (despite your aversion to vampires), and Darker than Black. I haven't been following the scene lately, so I'm mostly getting new anime through a friend.

Ghost in the Shell, both movies and SAC, Akira, Vampire Hunter D, Pokemon.

Spirited Away was the best anime movie ever. Of all time.
41Q43379MPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I dunno, nausicaa was my favourite, although I loved Spirited Away, Nausicaa was just such a powerful movie for me personally.

nausicaa.gif

I think, for me, Grave of the Fireflies was the most powerful, it was a fantastic story, but reckon Spirited Away was the most entertaining.

Bizarro mentions:
Elfen Lied is brilliant, but seriously gratuitous - nudity and gore aplenty, which almost put me off.
Serial Experiment: Lain is very very cool, but also very very trippy, and certainly is not for everyone. Also quite hard to describe.

Elfen Lied is awesome. But in "Bizarro" mentions, if you like Lain, check out Key Metal Idol. It's weird, but I liked it. Also, Boogiepop Phantom is actually really good, but hard to maintain what the hell is going on during the series. But that was one of the first anime series I bought (Evangelion was the first). Also Ergo Proxy I really liked. It can be a bit slow at times, but it's still pretty damn good. Perfect Blue was this odd psychological thriller anime movie, but it was pretty decent too.

One of my personal favorite anime series is called Now and Then, Here and There. It is a very intense science fiction series about time travel. It's got a very vivid depiction of a dypstopic future, and takes on some very heavy themes like slavery and child soldiers in a sober but hopeful way. It also has some of the best writing in any anime I've seen.

That one is very good, you see Last Exile? If not, first punch yourself in the face for never seeing it, then go and put it on your Netflix Instant Q.

BTW, have people really not mentioned Samurai Champloo yet? For shame.

Last edited:
That one is very good, you see Last Exile? If not, first punch yourself in the face for never seeing it, then go and put it on your Netflix Instant Q.

I haven't seen it, but I just punched myself and I'm adding it to netflix now:D

I am always on the lookout for more smart anime.

BTW, have people really not mentioned Samurai Champloo yet? For shame.

I saw cowboy bebop so I thought somebody must have covered that. I'm an evangelion fan as well, also robotech/macross. But everybody knows about that stuff.

For ****s and giggles, this is the anime portion of my instant Q

Hellboy: Animated: Blood & Iron
Noein
Gurren Lagann: Vol. 1 Play
Clannad: Vol. 1
Clannad: Vol. 2
Hellboy: Animated: Sword of Storms
Ponyo
Desert Punk
Last Exile
Kaze No Stigma: Season 1: Part 1
Kaze No Stigma: Season 1: Part 2
Soul Eater: Part 1
Soul Eater: Part 2
Soul Eater: Part 3
Soul Eater: Part 4
Samurai 7
Black Blood Brothers
Orphen
Vandread
Ghost in the Shell 2.0
Queen's Blade: The Exiled Virgin: Vol. 1
Queen's Blade: The Exiled Virgin: Vol. 2
Queen's Blade: The Exiled Virgin: Vol. 3
Invader Zim
Voltron: Defender of the Universe: Vol. 1
Voltron: Defender of the Universe: Vol. 2
Voltron: Defender of the Universe: Vol. 3
Voltron: Defender of the Universe: Vol. 4
Voltron: Defender of the Universe: Vol. 5
Ouran: Season 1: Part 1
Ouran: Season 1: Part 2
Gunslinger Girl: Season 1
Witchblade
XXXholic
Burst Angel
Aquarion: Season 1: Part 1
Aquarion: Season 1: Part 2
Blassreiter: Part 2
Blassreiter: Part 1
Rin: Daughters of Mnemosyne: Complete
Sekirei: The Complete Series
Kenichi: Season 1: Part 1
Black Butler: Season 1: Part 1
Black Butler: Season 1: Part 2
Gun X Sword
Now and Then, Here and There: Vol. 1
Now and Then, Here and There: Vol. 2
Now and Then, Here and There: Vol. 3

I encourage people to give Pom Poko a try. It's an anime movie with some balls. :mrgreen:

pompoko_scene_01.jpg

Heh, I was hoping to get 2 or 3 responses to this thread. Thanks a ton guys, and keep the discussion going.

Long ago I used to have some definite interest in both manga and some anime(Urusei Yatsura and Robotech TV/movies for example). Kinda interested in getting back into some of this, but most of the old stuff is not available any more or hard to find anyway, and I know almost nothing about the new stuff. So, looking for suggestions. Is Naruto worth getting into?

Berserk and Claymore are strong strong Dark Fantasy entries; unfortunately Berserk is one of the longest running mangas in history and the anime cuts it short after the first arc, and Claymore's going in that direction; still, at least Claymore anime can be found on Netflix instant watch (unless they took it off). All except the last two episodes are worth watching. It's a good place to start. The direction is phenomenal.

Code Geass is a very strong contemporary entry in science fiction/alternative history/mecha; at least the first season.

The Big O is a film noir/science fiction/mecha that mixes elements of Blade Runner, Metropolis (the 1920s German film), and Batman: The Animated Series. It's one of my personal favorites and has some highly memorable personalities.

Kenichi the Mightiest Disciple has some cliches but its semi-realist treatment of martial arts is ... fun.

In my experience Lupin the III is great no matter what the time period.

Anything by Hazayko Myzaki; get his entire filmography if you can.

Neon Genesis Evangelion is 'the' definitive psycho-existential piece; the anime has elaborate psychological treatments, but think the manga is 'better' at dramatic character development.

If you are set on manga, then xxxHolic is a very interesting contemporary transposition of Japanese folk lore and spirituality into a contemporary setting.

Mobile Suit Gundam: 8th Mobile Suit Team is my favorite of the vast Gundam franchise, and it is short and undemending. If you've never seen a Gundam, then the original Gundam or Gundam SEED; although the original is dated and Gundam SEED is a bit plastic (might not be noticeable to someone new to Gundam though). Some people would recommend Gundam Wing as the sample, but I think it is too over the top and not as heavy in traditional Space Opera elements.

Last edited:
If you do XXXHolic (I LOVE that show, BTW), couple it with Tsubasa Chronicles as those two anime/manga are connected.

Code Geass, I can't believe I forgot about. Silly at time? Maybe, but I like it. Plus in my D&D campaign, I made a super awesome lawful good paladin named Suzaku Kururugi. Never was a big fan of Big O despite my unhealthy obsession with mechs (almost as bad as my unhealthy obsession with harem anime like Tenchi, Ah! My Goddess, Love Hina, etc.)

This one isn't anime, it's America. But if you have never seen Invader Zim, bash your skull against a brick wall about 4 times, and put it on your Netflix instant.

If you do XXXHolic (I LOVE that show, BTW), couple it with Tsubasa Chronicles as those two anime/manga are connected.

Code Geass, I can't believe I forgot about. Silly at time? Maybe, but I like it. Plus in my D&D campaign, I made a super awesome lawful good paladin named Suzaku Kururugi. Never was a big fan of Big O despite my unhealthy obsession with mechs (almost as bad as my unhealthy obsession with harem anime like Tenchi, Ah! My Goddess, Love Hina, etc.)

This one isn't anime, it's America. But if you have never seen Invader Zim, bash your skull against a brick wall about 4 times, and put it on your Netflix instant.

Some people react that way to The Big O. It's beyond me. Then again I never really liked Cowboy Bebop.

I tend to prefer anime to manga (cost-benefit favors it), but CLAMP authored manga is premium; the quality difference between xxxHolic and Tsubassa as mangas to anime is noticeable. On the other hand, xxxHolic is on Netflix instant watch.

EDIT:

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Count of Monte Cristo adaption blends 19th century props into a sci-fi setting ... plus it is the Count of Monte Cristo. It "might" be on instant watch.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gankutsuou:_The_Count_of_Monte_Cristo

Last edited:
I think, for me, Grave of the Fireflies was the most powerful, it was a fantastic story, but reckon Spirited Away was the most entertaining.

I will never ever ever see "Grave of the Fireflies"

I dunno, nausicaa was my favourite, although I loved Spirited Away, Nausicaa was just such a powerful movie for me personally.

nausicaa.gif

Nausicaa is the only Miyazaki movie I actually enjoy. The rest I find very difficult to get interested in. I say this despite being aware how much of a pariah it will make me among the anime crowd.

And while I'm at it, I'll hammer the nail in my coffin even more by saying this:

The only good thing to come from Neon Genesis Evangelion is the following AMV.

Asuka is by far my favorite anime character of all time and my ideal of the perfect woman (given maybe 15 years)

I tend to prefer anime to manga (cost-benefit favors it), but CLAMP authored manga is premium; the quality difference between xxxHolic and Tsubassa as mangas to anime is noticeable. On the other hand, xxxHolic is on Netflix instant watch.

I thought that both were CLAMP. Both use CLAMP characters.

I thought that both were CLAMP. Both use CLAMP characters.

CLAMP doesn't produce anime. They do character designs (as in the case of Code Geass).

I mean, for example, folk lore and spirituality in xxxHolic is presented in heightened detail. Not a deal breaker (especially since the anime is more accessible), but worth noting if Redress insists on reading manga.

Last edited:
Asuka is by far my favorite anime character of all time and my ideal of the perfect woman (given maybe 15 years)

Do you have any idea how common a name Asuka is in Japanese, both in the real world and in fiction there?

Do you have any idea how common a name Asuka is in Japanese, both in the real world and in fiction there?

He means Asuka Langley Soryu from "Neon Genesis Evangelion," who also happens to be the character his avatar depicts.

He means Asuka Langley Soryu from "Neon Genesis Evangelion," who also happens to be the character his avatar depicts.

So he is obsessed with a fictional 14 year old cartoon girl?

Last edited:
So he is obsessed with a 14 year old fictional cartoon girl?

He is far from the only one:

asukalangleysoryubattlesuitcosplay.jpg

A google search on Asuka Langley Soryu cosplay was fairly disturbing.

Back
Top Bottom