• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Man/ Woman Movie Ever (??)

Ned Racine

Banned
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
My candidate remains "The Apartment - 1960(UA) Billy Wilder.

Sure it's dated and a bit over done and predictable , but in the end it packs a wallop , that being "Redemption" . Two presumably Hurting sub par people who had essentially Prostituted themselves for meager advancement and got burned finding something within themselves ........ and within us.

The ending shot (done in one take) is Timeless and the line "Shut Up and Deal" is Cinema legend.

Sure, it's frequently referred to as a Comedy even , but Wilder brought it in as more than that, with scenes like that huge room with scores of peon desks showing impersonalization in the Corporate World and the track shot of Shirley Maclaine running down the street just in time to hear the shot (Champagne cork) .

The post attempted suicide sequence is also masterfully done.

My candidate remains "The Apartment - 1960(UA) Billy Wilder.

Sure it's dated and a bit over done and predictable , but in the end it packs a wallop , that being "Redemption" . Two presumably Hurting sub par people who had essentially Prostituted themselves for meager advancement and got burned finding something within themselves ........ and within us.

The ending shot (done in one take) is Timeless and the line "Shut Up and Deal" is Cinema legend.

Sure, it's frequently referred to as a Comedy even , but Wilder brought it in as more than that, with scenes like that huge room with scores of peon desks showing impersonalization in the Corporate World and the track shot of Shirley Maclaine running down the street just in time to hear the shot (Champagne cork) .

The post attempted suicide sequence is also masterfully done.

Casablanca.

The Apartment is great too. I love the classics.

For what it's worth - there is no more powerful scene in this category than the ending of "The Last Picture Show" - 1971 (Col) Cloris Leachman and Timothy Bottoms as she explodes and throws the Coffee grounds all over. Then comforts him. This is where She Nailed the Oscar.

I can't believe that Ned Racine wouldn't cite my own fav:

Body Heat (1981) - IMDb

It didn't matter how cold they made the theater, your popcorn melted. The love scenes scorched. This ending was atypical - everyone knows of con men.

Regards from Rosie

I can't believe that Ned Racine wouldn't cite my own fav:

Body Heat (1981) - IMDb

It didn't matter how cold they made the theater, your popcorn melted. The love scenes scorched. This ending was atypical - everyone knows of con men.

Regards from Rosie

I actually did start a thread on it a few weeks ago - but it got no response. Body Heat is 100% on the mark and there is not one False Note of Human Behavior in it.

For what it's worth - there is no more powerful scene in this category than the ending of "The Last Picture Show" - 1971 (Col) Cloris Leachman and Timothy Bottoms as she explodes and throws the Coffee grounds all over. Then comforts him. This is where She Nailed the Oscar.

Also, the scene, I think it was at a sink where they were washing dishes, where there was a palpable sexual tension between them. You knew what was coming.

1970/71 is also the time of "Summer of 42" - it's a film that one can not fully put their finger on and at the time many were affected by it - but didn't advertise it. It rode a wave of nostalgia and was a rarity - both an artistic and a commercial success. It's cost per profit was beyond expectation and has supported the author ever since because Warner Bros. thought it would be a one shot quickie. So they balked at a round figure up front.

Back
Top Bottom