• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best kept secret in YOUR area

BDBoop

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
In Minnesota, it's Jesse James Days. I hope to go this year, it's supposed to be an unmitigated blast.

Join us September 8-12, 2010 | Defeat of Jesse James Days

What would it be for your neck of the woods? Doesn't have to be an event, can be a beautiful town or area that nobody much knows about.

There's a nudist beach near by, and we have a sewerage plant that can be fantastic, especially in the summer :mrgreen: but the best place is here, especially if you know your way around off the main tracks like I do.

There's a nudist beach near by, and we have a sewerage plant that can be fantastic, especially in the summer :mrgreen: but the best place is here, especially if you know your way around off the main tracks like I do.

point of rocks at siesta key beach, nice snorkeling and a great beach.

Attachments

• por_rockswater_web325x244-775937.jpg
    por_rockswater_web325x244-775937.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 64
Probably the National Peanut Festival. This has all the wonders of the Southland - watching the most aesthetically challenged people alive herd into a carnival where they can stuff their faces with about three hundred different types of junk foods, all fried in butter and trans fat. A child beauty pageant where angry, shallow housewives live vicariously through their toddlers in an effort to appease pedophiles and those of lower intellect in another step of raising the next batch of superficial women. A traveling set of rickety roller coasters where the secret thrill is wondering if you can survive an unqualified 17 year old kid watching you go up and down about 100,000 pounds of rusted out steel. Then when it's all over, you can watch the absolute worst drivers in the world play bumper cars trying to get out of tight parking areas while shouting hillbilly obscenities at each other, laying on the horns of random Dodge Ram trucks.

The pathetic thing is that at no point in this post was I kidding.

Probably the National Peanut Festival. This has all the wonders of the Southland - watching the most aesthetically challenged people alive herd into a carnival where they can stuff their faces with about three hundred different types of junk foods, all fried in butter and trans fat. A child beauty pageant where angry, shallow housewives live vicariously through their toddlers in an effort to appease pedophiles and those of lower intellect in another step of raising the next batch of superficial women. A traveling set of rickety roller coasters where the secret thrill is wondering if you can survive an unqualified 17 year old kid watching you go up and down about 100,000 pounds of rusted out steel. Then when it's all over, you can watch the absolute worst drivers in the world play bumper cars trying to get out of tight parking areas while shouting hillbilly obscenities at each other, laying on the horns of random Dodge Ram trucks.

damn...you should move if you hate it that much.

We have one of the largest hazardous waste spill sites in the state, the land will be contaminated still long after I am dead.

Dolly Sods in WV

One of my favorite places to go and just sit, enjoy the beauty and reflect. Also the highest point in WV, I believe.

dolly-sods-mountains-sunny.jpg

008_West_Virginia-Dolly-Sods.jpg

DollySods10-04_large_4001.JPG

sunrise_on_dolly_sods.jpg

DSCN0296.jpg

We have the highest arson rate in the country. I don't know why, but people around here LOVE to set other people's property on fire (actually, I know exactly why, it's because there's nothing else to ****ing do)

My high school had the distinction of having 103 people die out of a graduating class of 1,200 people over the course of four years.

You totally crack me up:2razz: I never have figured out that whole child beauty pageant or the demo derby.:confused: But you will never ever get me to hate on that good eats. ;)

My high school had the distinction of having 103 people die out of a graduating class of 1,200 people over the course of four years.

What?! How??

What?! How??
30-40 were suicides, probably 20 or so were drug or alcohol related, five or six were medical issues and there were a couple of shootings (not at the school), the rest were car accidents. Surprisingly, very few were instances where the person killed was at-fault or drunk.

My hometown has a huge problem with auto accidents. It's been partially helped by the use of red-light cameras (one reason I FULLY support their use) but it's still pretty bad. Our city actually has banned roadside memorials for people who have died in car accidents because it made the town look bad. Gods forbid they try to fix the SOURCE of the memorials.

They promised us a memorial in central park when we graduated. Still waitin' for it and I graduated some years back, lets say. I hate the politics in that town, it's 100% geared towards making the city as business-friendly as possible at the expense of EVERYTHING else.

Why leave it up to the town to fix? As a parent, the first thing I'd do in a place like this is well .... :ssst: ..... I dunno ...... maybe not allow my kid to drive until he's a little older? With those kind of odds, I just don't see why it's even necessary for a 16 year old to be driving. Or maybe ..... :ssst: insist on a private defensive driving course? One thing is for sure, he would not get his own car until at least 18. I'd buy it, because it would be a freaking tank in that town.

I seriously don't understand how a town being business friendly = so many kids dying in car accidents. If the cameras were helping the situation, then those kids were driving like maniacs with only the threat of getting caught to stop them. Maybe that kind of crap needs to be addressed at home. Like yesterday.

Last edited:
They promised us a memorial in central park when we graduated. Still waitin' for it and I graduated some years back, lets say. I hate the politics in that town, it's 100% geared towards making the city as business-friendly as possible at the expense of EVERYTHING else.

I can't imagine.

Why leave it up to the town to fix?
Because that's kinda part of what the city is supposed to do.

As a parent, the first thing I'd do in a place like this is well .... :ssst: ..... I dunno ...... maybe not allow my kid to drive until he's a little older? With those kind of odds, I just don't see why it's even necessary for a 16 year old to be driving. Or maybe ..... :ssst: insist on a private defensive driving course? One thing is for sure, he would not get his own car until at least 18. I'd buy it, because it would be a freaking tank in that town.
I agree, but if parents wont do something then the city should use it's resources and step in to try and fix the problem.

A lot of it is the town is HUGE in terms of actual space and we have almost no public transportation so if you want to get anywhere in town, you HAVE to have a car. Since parents cant/wont drive their kids where they need/want to go, kids gotta find another way of getting around.

I seriously don't understand how a town being business friendly = so many kids dying in car accidents. If the cameras were helping the situation, then those kids were driving like maniacs with only the threat of getting caught to stop them. Maybe that kind of crap needs to be addressed at home. Like yesterday.
There's a difference between business-friendly and business-fixated. The city doesnt seem to care about doing anything to encourage any change. Our city paper had their Obituaries section yanked by the city council because it made the town look bad. The city paid to have any and all homeless people bussed out to Simi Valley or Newhall and getting caught "loitering" if you dont have a place to go will earn you a ticket out of town. The city hires private security to supplement our police (which we basically rent from the LAPD) and this security company lost half their contract about two years ago for one of their guards beating a teenager half to death with a baton (that he was not licensed to carry) on his own lawn.

The ritzy areas of town actually have lists of approved vehicles that can be parked on streets. If you park your car on the street and it isnt on the list, you get a ticket. We have a HUGE drug problem and a huge teen pregnancy/STD epidemic going but all the city has done has been to keep mention of it out of the public light.

The city basically does not care about anything else but making the city look good to others.

We have the highest arson rate in the country. I don't know why, but people around here LOVE to set other people's property on fire (actually, I know exactly why, it's because there's nothing else to ****ing do)

had to laugh at your signature after reading that post:
If you build a man a fire, he'll be warm for a day.

If you set a man on fire, he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
wonder who the perp could be

Where to start? We have a festival for everything everywhere in this state, I've lived here my entire life and am STILL learning many of them. There's the Pontchatoula Strawberry festival, Mardi Gras(the smaller ones are the best), Festival Internationale de Louisianne in my city, the Duck festival, Crawfish festival, etc. Then of course there are tons of hauntings like T-Frere's house, The Myrtles Plantation, a certain dormitory at U.L.L., and others. There are plenty of parks that few know of that are very nice, great restaurants(some world renowned) small family owned stores.

Realistically I'm forgetting most of it.

Where to start? We have a festival for everything everywhere in this state, I've lived here my entire life and am STILL learning many of them. There's the Pontchatoula Strawberry festival, Mardi Gras(the smaller ones are the best), Festival Internationale de Louisianne in my city, the Duck festival, Crawfish festival, etc. Then of course there are tons of hauntings like T-Frere's house, The Myrtles Plantation, a certain dormitory at U.L.L., and others. There are plenty of parks that few know of that are very nice, great restaurants(some world renowned) small family owned stores.

Realistically I'm forgetting most of it.

I have to visit. Srsly.

I have to visit. Srsly.
There is no shortage of things to do, many of us say it's your own fault if you're bored. LOL! Actually, just thought of another couple, "movies in the parc" downtown in my city whereas the biggest dedicated sound stage of a three park musical area is converted into a gigantic outdoor screen for movie viewing, Downtown Alive which is a semi-annual(spring/fall) outdoor musical event on fridays, and "second saturday artwalk" which is when the entire renovated downtown area becomes an artist venue and the bars open early to facilitate the crowd.

Marvin Johnson's Gourd Collection
too late; it closed in 2005
try instead:

Belhaven Memorial Museum
the Belhaven Memorial Museum is in many ways indistinguishable from its countless local museum brethren. It has no money. It has no air conditioning. It's staffed by a nice senior citizen lady who would like to retire, but can't find anyone to take her place.

What makes Belhaven remarkable is that it holds the collections of Mrs. Eva Blount Way, a seriously eccentric woman who simply couldn't throw anything away.

Mrs. Way died in 1962 at age 92, and all the stuff originally in her home was moved to the museum three years later. Her sprawling house, abandoned ever since, crumbles on the outskirts of town. Prospective buyers are probably terrified at the thought of what lies beneath its floorboards.
Exhibits of Note

* Three freak, prenatal babies in jars (given to Mrs. Way by the town doctor)
* Large, pickled tumors retrieved from the local hospital (the biggest weighs ten pounds and fills a ten-gallon aquarium)
* A one-eyed fetal pig, a two-headed kitten, a harelipped dog, and mummified squirrels
* Several snakes killed by Mrs. Way; one stuffed, swallowing a wooden egg, another made into a necktie
* A dress worn by a local 700-pound woman (she died in bed and had to be craned out the window)
* An unspent Civil War shell
* A ten-inch-wide ball of string (saved by Mrs. Way)
* A German W.W.I half-boot (looks like it was amputated along with the foot)
* 30,000 buttons (collected by Mrs. Way)
* A flea bride and groom (may be viewed with a magnifying glass)
* Hideous ingrown toenails and cataracts
* Jars of Mrs. Way's home canned products (now well over 30 years old), including one blob labeled "chicken fat." The museum sells souvenir cookbooks. yum

or possibly

Fields of the Wood
Its centerpiece is the World's Largest Ten Commandments, a 300-ft wide tableaux occupying a mountainside. Though it is tucked into the extreme and obscure western corner of North Carolina, the immense tablets are visible from orbit ... and heaven.
Ten Commandment Mountain Mountain faces Prayer Mountain, where more fit members of the congregation can ascend a long curving stairway to the altar at the top. Along the way, there are 29 important teachings of the Bible explained on headstone-like monuments.
Over on Ten Commandment Mountain, you can clamber up the 350 steps between the tablets (or just drive up the little service road around back). The five-foot tall letters set in the grassy hillside spell out all ten Laws of God. Pose your parents next to No. IV, your kids next to No. VI, your spouse and/or mistress next to No. VII.
At the top, a giant open Bible, called "The World's Largest Testament" supports an observation deck. You can gaze down upon the Baptismal Pool, the Star of Bethlehem, and hedges cut to read: "Jesus Died for Our Sins."
Back at ground level, you can ponder the Golgotha memorial, or discourage children from rolling the circular stone over the entrance to the replica Tomb of Jesus.

maybe something more secular like

World's Largest Chest of Drawers
The original chest of drawers was built in the 1920s by the Chamber of Commerce. The twenty foot tall building-with-knobs served as the local "bureau of information." In 1996, the building was completely renovated and converted into a 38-foot tall Goddard-Townsend block front chest. A real chest was used as a prototype -- it can be viewed in the Lobby of the local visitor information center.
Two gigantic socks dangle from a drawer, officially symbolizing "the city's hosiery industry."

if that was not too exciting for ya, then behold

Shell-shaped Gas Station
Radiant symbol of a bygone era, when fossil fuel seemed happily inexhaustible, this town's shell shaped service station is the last of its kind.

Eight were originally built in the late 1930s by the Quality Oil Company, marketer of Shell Oil. The station, modeled on the brand logo of Royal Dutch-Shell Oil, was constructed of concrete stucco over a bent wood and wire framework.

The clamshell stations serviced gas guzzlers for decades, but were gradually pumped into oblivion by the twin engines of Development and Progress

if you need directions, send me a PM

Back
Top Bottom