• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Best guitarist ever!

incredible Danny Gatton clip...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=RyjtW-rvWoQ[/YOUTUBE]

"Dimbag" Darrel Abbot. RIP

Im very surprised nobody has mentioned Michael Angelo Batio...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10[/YOUTUBE]

The guy is absolutely amazing...

Im very surprised nobody has mentioned Michael Angelo Batio...

[YOUTUBE]http://youtube.com/watch?v=qG74eVb6V10[/YOUTUBE]

The guy is absolutely amazing...

Yes, he gets props for sure. I think this should actually be a favorites thread you know. This topic is so subjective.

Yes, he gets props for sure. I think this should actually be a favorites thread you know. This topic is so subjective.

He isnt your main stream guitarist, but brings much in terms of music theory to the table. Not only that, he actually invented that "MAB Over-Under technique" utilized for speed.

I'm sorry to say there is no You Tube of this song,
but "Just Like a Prisoner" from Eric Clapton's the Behind the Sun CD
is without a doubt, the greatest lead guitar I have ever heard in a
song. I have never heard anything before or since that has even
come close to it.

I read many moons ago Baker had to tie the drumsticks to his wrists and it was becuase he was always stoned.

Too many to list, and I would be remiss if I only picked one. In no particular order and living or deceased;

Kirk Hammet
Dimebag
Hendrix
Stevie Ray Vaughn
David Gilmour
Zakk Wlyde
Jerry Cantrell
Tim Sult (Clutch)

Robben Ford
Larry Carlton
Stevie Ray
Mike Bloomfield
Dejango
Joe Pass
Hendrix
Clapton
Chet Atkins
Tommy Emmanual
Duane
Dicky

oh and

ME!!!...............just kidding

I could go on, there is and never will be a single best

Robben Ford
Larry Carlton
Stevie Ray
Mike Bloomfield
Dejango
Joe Pass
Hendrix
Clapton
Chet Atkins
Tommy Emmanual
Duane
Dicky

oh and

ME!!!...............just kidding

I could go on, there is and never will be a single best

Dicky Dale?

I'll second Leo Kottke and Junior Brown. Guitar Shorty, Andy Timmons, Joe Pass, George Benson, Jim Hall, Pat Methany, and yes....Larry Carlton!

I'm an infrequent visitor here, but it always comes back to the late great Danny Gatton.

All other guitar players pale by comparison. He had it all...jazz, blues, country, rockabilly, swing...lightning fast!

I have Guitar Player magazines dating back to the 70's, without a single issue missing, and this topic has been discussed numerous times down through the years....it always comes back to Gatton.

Here's a few of my personal favorites, besides Gatton, because it is subjective...

The Hellecasters (John Jorgenson, Jerry Donahue, Will Ray)
Jeff Beck
Hendrix
Stephen Stills
Nokie Edwards (The Ventures)
Mike Bloomfield
D'jango

And special props to Robert Quine for possibly the best, most original, and off the wall solo I've ever heard?

Can someone really not have mentioned Nuno Bettencourt (Extreme) or John Petrucci (Dream Theater)? James Hetfield (Metallica)?

What about Slash (Guns N' Roses, Velvet Revolver)?

Dave Mustaine and Marty Friedman (Megadeth)?

I mean, they may not be the best ever, but all of them are a hell of a lot better than most of the people listed in this thread.

Oh, and that Rolling Stone list was the biggest bunch of BS ever.

I mean, Kurt Cobain at #12 greatest guitarist of all time? :shock:

My personal feeling: Jimmy Page, #1 all-time. You can maybe make an argument on Hendrix, because he came first, but in terms of total talent and influence on music, I think you have to go with Page.

Last edited:
Most of the guitarist mentioned are from the rock scene, and are all very deserving of the title, but I think it would be sacrilege (and I may be Hee Hawed off the stage for saying it) to have a "best guitarist" list that doesn't include Roy Clark. The guy is a musical genius. One of the greatest stingsters of all time. If it has strings, he can play it and play it well. My dad took me to see him when I was 9yo. He is the #1 reason I ever picked up a guitar.

Toy Caldwell's thumb pickin' style may not make him the "best", but it sure gave the MTB a sound that, IMO, has yet to be duplicated.

Most of the guitarist mentioned are from the rock scene, and are all very deserving of the title, but I think it would be sacrilege (and I may be Hee Hawed off the stage for saying it) to have a "best guitarist" list that doesn't include Roy Clark. The guy is a musical genius. One of the greatest stingsters of all time. If it has strings, he can play it and play it well. My dad took me to see him when I was 9yo. He is the #1 reason I ever picked up a guitar.

Toy Caldwell's thumb pickin' style may not make him the "best", but it sure gave the MTB a sound that, IMO, has yet to be duplicated.

"Paw...........paw, is that you paw? I ain't yer paw kid. :blastem:

Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favorite movies of all time. Welcome to the Forum. I have to warn you up front. There are some politically correct, liberal, multicultural, appeaser, apologist for terrorist and criminal illegal immigrants that have been on a cleansing misson to rid this forum of those they disagree with so watch what you say. ~ Sgt Rock

Has anyone mentioned Carlos Santana?

"Paw...........paw, is that you paw? I ain't yer paw kid. :blastem:

Outlaw Josey Wales is one of my favorite movies of all time. Welcome to the Forum. I have to warn you up front. There are some politically correct, liberal, multicultural, appeaser, apologist for terrorist and criminal illegal immigrants that have been on a cleansing mission to rid this forum of those they disagree with so watch what you say. ~ Sgt Rock

Well sir, being an old country boy, I say what I mean and I mean what I say. If I do that in a civil way and it gets me booted, so be it. If there is one thing I've learned about internet forums, it's that they are not vestiges of free speech. Quite the contrary. Most are more like little dictatorships and I can relate to that. I don't own it and those that do are free to run it how they see fit. I believe in calling a spade, a spade, and I rarely watch what I say. ;)

Thread high-jacking in progress....back to topic......

Well sir, being an old country boy, I say what I mean and I mean what I say. If I do that in a civil way and it gets me booted, so be it. If there is one thing I've learned about internet forums, it's that they are not vestiges of free speech. Quite the contrary. Most are more like little dictatorships and I can relate to that. I don't own it and those that do are free to run it how they see fit. I believe in calling a spade, a spade, and I rarely watch what I say. ;)

Thread high-jacking in progress....back to topic......

Don't worry. If you are civil, regardless of your position, you don't have to worry about being booted. Just beware of extremists who will try to get you to align yourself with their narrow-minded positions. Welcome to DP, btw.

And on topic. I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned Peter Green from old Fleetwood Mac. One of the best bluesmen ever, in rock. Replace Eric Clapton in the Bluesbreakers, and his work with Mac (Oh Well, Green Manhalishi, Albatross, and, of course, Black Magic Woman which made Santana famous) was, and is, amazing. Shame that schizophrenia sapped him right at the height of his powers.

Jonny Lang released "Lie to Me" back in 1995. He was 14 at the time. He is an excellent guitarist who has jammed with Double Trouble, Steve Miller and others. Today at the age of 26 he has dedicated his life to serving the lord. His new album "Turn Around" is a cross between Soul, Blues, Rock, and Gospel. Check out the link below you can listen to the new album there. Its different, not as hard as his previous stuff.

Jonny Lang Official Website

YouTube - Johnny Lang - Lie To Me

YouTube - Jonny Lang - Give me up again (live)

Back
Top Bottom