• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Economy in 19 Years; Highest Confidence in 14 Years

LowDown

Curmudgeon
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian
Washington Examiner: A remarkably low 13 percent are calling President Trump’s economy a problem as confidence is hitting a 14-year high, and seven in 10 said 2018 is a good time to find a quality job.

The key points from Gallup’s just-published economic survey:

Economic Confidence Index at +31 in November, remaining at its highest since 2004.
55 percent rate current economic conditions positively.
Record-tying 68 percent say it is a good time to find a quality job.

“It has been nearly two decades since Americans have been as positive about the U.S. economy as they are now,” Gallup said.

Remember what they were saying about Trump in 2016?

He would cause the economy to crash.
He was a Hitler and would put LBGT people in concentration camps.
His White House was in chaos and wouldn't accomplish anything.
He would start a nuclear war.
Trump colluded with Russia to win the election and will be tried for treason.

What are Trump haters fretting about now?

Melania got someone fired.
Trump dissed California's government.
Trump tweeting something we don't like.
Mueller ... meh.

Mueller ... meh.

Economic confidence isn't the final word on a strong economy. Before the recession, a higher percent of the population was employed, and wage growth was higher than today. So the economy under Trump is better than Obama, who had the weakest economy in the modern era. Doing better than last place isn't an accomplishment.

The people have voted and they clearly do NOT like blacks, Latinos and women getting jobs or pay raises and oppose sanctions against Russia, China and N. Korea.

Mueller ... meh.

Right to the point!
Excellent!!!!

:lamo

Economic confidence isn't the final word on a strong economy. Before the recession, a higher percent of the population was employed, and wage growth was higher than today. So the economy under Trump is better than Obama, who had the weakest economy in the modern era. Doing better than last place isn't an accomplishment.

Getting out of last place is a HUuuuuge accomplishment, but what you said above is simply not true, so there's that.

Record high business optimism and the need for employees at 45-Year high!

Getting out of last place is a HUuuuuge accomplishment, but what you said above is simply not true, so there's that.

Record high business optimism and the need for employees at 45-Year high!

How is not being last place a huge accomplishment? I don't get it. BTW, I want from last in my class, to second to last in my class! Time to celebrate!

Actually the percent of the population that is employed rose from 59.9% to 60.4%, which isn't much. Its far below pre-recession levels of 63.4%, but at least its better than Obama. Obama isn't hard to beat.

Business optimism isn't the same as actual economic results, so I don't know why these feelings are used in place of actual economic results. One reason the need for employees is so high is the low unemployment (which started under Obama), the cost of living in cities is so high its hard to get people to work there when wage growth has been pretty weak, and the skills gap of 5 million jobs has been completely ignored. High demand for employees without strong real wage growth and without a strong number of people actually getting jobs is meaningless.

How is not being last place a huge accomplishment? I don't get it. BTW, I want from last in my class, to second to last in my class! Time to celebrate!

Actually the percent of the population that is employed rose from 59.9% to 60.4%, which isn't much. Its far below pre-recession levels of 63.4%, but at least its better than Obama. Obama isn't hard to beat.

Business optimism isn't the same as actual economic results, so I don't know why these feelings are used in place of actual economic results. One reason the need for employees is so high is the low unemployment (which started under Obama), the cost of living in cities is so high its hard to get people to work there when wage growth has been pretty weak, and the skills gap of 5 million jobs has been completely ignored. High demand for employees without strong real wage growth and without a strong number of people actually getting jobs is meaningless.

You didn't bother to read the last sentence in my post.
Telling.

While you're busy crying doomsday, the rest of us are happy with record high business optimism and a need for employees at a 45 year high. Low supply and high demand will take care of stagnant wages.

You didn't bother to read the last sentence in my post.
Telling.

While you're busy crying doomsday, the rest of us are happy with record high business optimism and a need for employees at a 45 year high. Low supply and high demand will take care of stagnant wages.

Real wage growth is only .8%, and that is with 3.7% unemployment and unemployment being below 5% for several years. This is very worrying when it takes years of record low unemployment to see even modest wage increases.

Best economy in 19 years, highest confidence in 14

Which proved to mean nothing in the recent election because the American public gives Trump just exactly the amount of credit he deserves and not one iota more.

This was a blue wave and it was ushered in by White Americans for the most part with some added support from Black Americans and little added smattering of Latinos and Millennials.

Trump's real problem..... Independents flipped by 24% 2016 to 2018. That is a number the GOP simply can't handle. Has no way to handle.

Second problem....Trump just won't stop being Trump. Since the election he has continued to pick away at the California Fires taking his briefings from TV News when in fact the WH briefings he could avail himself of are the stuff TV reporters would die to get! He talks about some damned bush he saw being raked on TV as if that means anything. Somebody whispered Forest Management in his ear. So now he thinks he has a way to divert attention from Climate Change and he doesn't.

Yammering about Forest Management in that context makes as much sense to most Americans as introducing teachers to guns in schools makes ....meaning no sense at all. How many more nonsensical comments about Climate Change do you think Trump will make between now and 2020? When Insurance companies are acknowledging the Climate Change issue in their actuarial tables, those on the wrong side of this issue have lost completely...dead and too stupid to fall over.

How much more divisiveness will he prompt with his ungodly nonsense. How many more cabinet heads will be driven out over corruption. How many of the few good cabinet heads he has will be stuck where Mattis found himself this week, trying to explain the unexplainable to troops stationed on the border to do NOTHING! Mattis knows enough to be worried. If Trump really puts it in the Military's head that they are just pawns to his personal political ambitions, not even the country's biased ambitions, Mattis will have a tiger by the tail and he knows it.

Just as Trump does with everything else, he is trying to insert himself into the House Speaker Vote professing support for Pelosi. "Oh I will get her some votes". Shut up you self-absorbed idiot.

in case nobody has noticed, after having thrown her overboard for not accepting the "embrace" Mia Love has fought back to a slight lead in her House Race having not just ignored the embrace but having thrown Trump bodily overboard.

So all of this yammering about the economy and confidence is not turning into votes which is really the only thing that matters. Trump has simply created too much momentum the wrong way.

I will say this much for the Donald....not that many of us didn't already know it. He is more cunning than his followers, more unscrupulous than they ever thought of being. They just think they are using Donald to get what they want. Surprise....the shoe is on the other foot and it always was. Donald is as ignorant as most of them....but for sheer cunning and unscrupulousness, they have no idea what the Donald actually represents.

Last edited:
Best economy in 19 years, highest confidence in 14

Which proved to mean nothing in the recent election because the American public gives Trump just exactly the amount of credit he deserves and not one iota more.

This was a blue wave and it was ushered in by White Americans for the most part with some added support from Black Americans and little added smattering of Latinos and Millennials.

Trump's real problem..... Independents flipped by 24% 2016 to 2018. That is a number the GOP simply can't handle. Has no way to handle.

Second problem....Trump just won't stop being Trump. Since the election he has continued to pick away at the California Fires taking his briefings from TV News when in fact the WH briefings he could avail himself of are the stuff TV reporters would die to get! He talks about some damned bush he saw being raked on TV as if that means anything. Somebody whispered Forest Management in his ear. So now he thinks he has a way to divert attention from Climate Change and he doesn't.

Yammering about Forest Management in that context makes as much sense to most Americans as introducing teachers to guns in schools makes ....meaning no sense at all. How many more nonsensical comments about Climate Change do you think Trump will make between now and 2020? When Insurance companies are acknowledging the Climate Change issue in their actuarial tables, those on the wrong side of this issue have lost completely...dead and too stupid to fall over.

How much more divisiveness will he prompt with his ungodly nonsense. How many more cabinet heads will be driven out over corruption. How many of the few good cabinet heads he has will be stuck where Mattis found himself this week, trying to explain the unexplainable to troops stationed on the border to do NOTHING! Mattis knows enough to be worried. If Trump really puts it in the Military's head that they are just pawns to his personal political ambitions, not even the country's biased ambitions, Mattis will have a tiger by the tail and he knows it.

Just as Trump does with everything else, he is trying to insert himself into the House Speaker Vote professing support for Pelosi. "Oh I will get her some votes". Shut up you self-absorbed idiot.

in case nobody has noticed, after having thrown her overboard for not accepting the "embrace" Mia Love has fought back to a slight lead in her House Race having not just ignored the embrace but having thrown Trump bodily overboard.

So all of this yammering about the economy and confidence is not turning into votes which is really the only thing that matters. Trump has simply created too much momentum the wrong way.

I will say this much for the Donald....not that many of us didn't already know it. He is more cunning than his followers, more unscrupulous than they ever thought of being. They just think they are using Donald to get what they want. Surprise....the shoe is on the other foot and it always was. Donald is as ignorant as most of them....but for sheer cunning and unscrupulousness, they have no idea what the Donald actually represents.

The evidence overwhelmingly shows DJT to be a good con man. I'm just astounded there are people out there with a dime left to their names that can be fooled by his shtick.:confused:

Best Economy in 19 Years

...And yet the deficit is increasing, which is not what we were doing 19 years ago.

usgs_line.php

usgs_line.php

Back
Top Bottom