• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best DNA test for family- ethnicity-regions?

JANFU

Land by the Gulf Stream
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Liberal
Best DNA test for family- ethnicity?
From what I gather, the mtDNA -Male-Female is the best.
https://www.familytreedna.com/

Also looking for privacy and the ability to see who else is in the family trees.
I should also mention my Father as they said back then was born out of Wedlock

Any advice and help is appreciated

Ancestry.com has a much higher sampling rate than the others. You can't get health data from it, but you can take your results and upload them to any one of the dna health testing services.

Best DNA test for family- ethnicity?
From what I gather, the mtDNA -Male-Female is the best.
https://www.familytreedna.com/

Also looking for privacy and the ability to see who else is in the family trees.
I should also mention my Father as they said back then was born out of Wedlock

Any advice and help is appreciated

You're looking for privacy, but you want to see who else is in your family tree? Don't those two goals contradict each other?

You're looking for privacy, but you want to see who else is in your family tree? Don't those two goals contradict each other?

Yes and no - from the little I gather one can keep ones DNA private from corps and others. Where it is not shared with companies doing research

Yes and no - from the little I gather one can keep ones DNA private from corps and others. Where it is not shared with companies doing research

Good point. Or Insurance Companies. Everyone's DNA is a pre-existing condition waiting to happen.

I suppose you could keep anonymity by just assigning a number to everyone... have the testing company send someone in your family tree a form e-mail to see if they'd like to get in touch with you.

If you really want bragging rights to a certain group or have a detailed curiosity then a test might be the way to go. Broadly speaking a history book and a bit of family lore will suffice. One has to believe in a little science or evolution I'm afraid as when some tiny percentage of African or something pops up in someone from Finland or Japan, well that's because it predates Genesis.

Back
Top Bottom