• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best decade for music?

Best decade for music?

• Total voters
I'd say the 80's because it was such a transitional decade from the disco/70's southern rock, followed by MTV-driven Top 40, rap came into its own, there was lots of metal, followed by alternative/grunge coming into its own. There was just something good seemingly going on for everybody no matter what their music tastes were.

The 60s, baby.

80s by far.

Some of the best songs ever written.

I could SWEAR there was this same exact thread that I responded to within the past couple of months. But anyway, the 60s and 70s were by far the best decades for music IMO. We got Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, The Who, CSNY, Grateful Dead, and the list goes on and on and on. If find the music from the 60s and 70s was extremely influential on all of today's music, and the artists were unique and truly talented. Seemed like everyone had their own unique sound. :)

BTW, I'm looking at this from a strictly rock and roll perspective! :rock

It depends on the type of music, I like three types Rock, Goth, Techno.

Rock would be the late 60's and throughout the 70's.

Goth-punk would be the 80's

Techno would be the late 80' to mid-90's

So I picked "other.'

I think 60's overall. :) 70's and 80's were cool too but to a lesser degree, imho. :peace

13th to the 15th century. Thereafter, you can't hold a candle to what they unleashed to the world.

Seriously? Nah, you must be joking. :lol:

Down Under is quite possibly my favourite song ever. Hey at least it isn't the horrible music of the 90s and today; I seem to be the only kid in my school who doesn't like modern pop.

A good example of why I hate a lot of 80s music. :lol:

I like this song to and is one of the only Canadian bands I actually like. Why do you hate the 80s so much?

Tough choice. I voted 60s, but I'd prefer to say 50s, 60s and 70s.

American music never, ever, never would have made it without the African-American influence. Rock got its start as "race music" and the rest is history.

The Clovers - Lovey Dovey

Mr. Hank Ballard and the Midnighters - Thrill Up On The Hill Lawd, somebody he'p me. I love this song!

The Godfather of Soul, Mr. James Brown brought his genius and awesome talent to rock and roll and changed the entire genre. He will forever remain the Godfather of Soul - .

Dion and the Belmonts - How can you pick one song from Dion and the Belmonts? Donna is my choice for a song representing the way it was. Men were in love and men were out matched. They sang about it then and we related. I met Dion Dimucci about 10 years ago in Boca. I had a difficult time even making word sounds. Dion was a prince, easy, approachable, open. Dion was on the cover of the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour Album, so great was his influence.

In the late 50s and early 60s as soul came into its own as Americans fell in love with Maurice Williams & the Zodiacs and the Tams and later the Four Tops and Smokey Robinson and the Miracles.

IMHO, if you can't get laid while listening to All I Want Is You by the Miracles it's because you are ugly as a mud fence and have no class. This song was written and sung as God himself wanted it to happen. That good! Every woman on earth wants you to sing this song TO HER and she wants you to mean it. And you should if you love her.

The Tams, tell me the song isn't true. Actually, I was there the night Doug Milton lost his drivers side door to the Tams bus. Long story. Expensive story for Doug. It's Better To Have Loved A Little.

How can we even touch the 60s and 70s?

Beatles - And Your Bird Can Sing

I Saw Her Standing There.

She Came In Through The Bathroom Window.

Across The Universe

The Rolling Stones - Time Is On My Side

It's All Over Now

After reading The Devil and Margarita Mick Jagger and Keith Richard wrote Sympathy For the Devil . And didn't it fit the times!

Keith Richards created the incredible guitar intro to Beast of Burden, Mick Jagger and Keith wrote the lyrics; Charlie Watts put the solid beat behind it and it is a song that will never be outdated.

God, where do you go from here with the Stones? You Can't Always Get What You Want.

How the hell do we move forward from the 60s? So many were so influential. Bob Dylan, Joe Cocker, The Who, The Animals, The Byrds, The Band, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and on and on and on.

The Band ~ Across The Great Divide

The Weight

Rag Mama Rag - The Band (The Band 2 of 12) - YouTube

Wet Willie - Keep On Smiling

Mr. Bob Seger ****ing awesome - Against The Wind

Fire Down Below

Katmandu

Marshall Tucker Band - Heard It In A Love Song

Cant You See That's my blood playing from down home.

One of the best bands ever to walk on stage, The Allman Brothers ~ One Way Out

Done Somebody Wrong

Dickey Betts is no longer with the Allman Brothers. In fact I ain't listening to the sumbitches till they ask Dickey to come back. In the meantime here is one of my favorite songs from Dickey Betts' album - Highway Call. Long Time Gone

If you've ever lived in Florida and been alone on a long weekend night listening to the rain coming down outside you know Dickey Betts (from Florida) has been there; God, I have. "Rain, rain, rain. You're lonesome company, but it's just you and me tonight."

Gawd, but Dickey can play that red slide guitar!

But in the 60's you had to use those little 45's. The 80's also gave us CD's and boxsets :)
--------------
Why you young whippersnapper, we had plenty of cool stuff back in the 60's.
We had big 33&1/3 LPs with LITTLE holes in the middle.
Talk about technical innovation !!!
Now get off of my lawn !!

Down Under is quite possibly my favourite song ever. Hey at least it isn't the horrible music of the 90s and today; I seem to be the only kid in my school who doesn't like modern pop.

Well you have a point there. There is some awful stuff that passes as music out there.

I like this song to and is one of the only Canadian bands I actually like. Why do you hate the 80s so much?

Why? Because you cannot possibly listen to this and really "like" much that came out of the 1980s for music. That's why. .

Another couple of examples of why LZ rules.

To be a bit obvious and pedantic, I just ask what makes a decade "the best" for music?

The 80s were godawful by damn near any standards, so by what criteria would we compare the 60s, 70s, 90s and 2000s?

I also think in terms of judging music decades, one should really seek to set aside his or her own nostalgia and assess the music for its actual qualities.

I don't know .... there's a lot of music over a lot of years that has a lot of meaning for me .... but if I listened to a compilation from any decade I am sure I would be able to say there was a lot of shyt music around then too....

Back
Top Bottom