• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Best Concert Ever Seen!

Billo_Really

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Liberal
What's the best concert you have ever seen in your life?

Out of all the bands I have seen:
  • Deep Purple (once)
  • Led Zeppelin (twice)
  • Allman Brothers (twice)
  • J-Geils Band (three times)
  • Moody Blues (twice)
  • The Who (five times)
  • Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band (five times)
  • Eagles (once)
  • Alice Cooper (once)
  • Emerson, Lake and Palmer (once)
  • Yes (twice)
  • The Grateful Dead (twice)
  • Jeff Beck (once)
  • Eric Clapton (six times)
  • Olivia Newton John (once to get laid)
  • Alvin Lee (one and a half)
  • Fleetwood Mac (once)
  • Pink FLoyd (twice)
  • Nirvana (once)
  • Red Hot Chili Peppers (once)
  • Black Sabbath (twice)
  • Bob Dylan (once)
  • Oingo Boingo (once)
  • Jethro Tull (four times)
  • The Clash (once)

The best of the bunch is without a doubt..........

Bruce Springsteen River tour in 1980 at the Los Angeles Sports Arena.

Toby Keith!!!! I paid $60 for the closest seats they had and would have paid more if I could. The only concert that could top that is if Garth Brooks toured again *crosses fingers and prays*

Originally posted by Kelzie:
Toby Keith!!!! I paid $60 for the closest seats they had and would have paid more if I could. The only concert that could top that is if Garth Brooks toured again *crosses fingers and prays*
His he that "boot in your ass" prick?

Billo_Really said:
His he that "boot in your ass" prick?

Hey whoa. Let's not get hasty with your words here. Mr. Keith is a registered Democrat who wrote that song about Afghanistan, and is in fact, very annoyed that people think that he meant it about Iraq.

Hey whoa. Let's not get hasty with your words here. Mr. Keith is a registered Democrat who wrote that song about Afghanistan, and is in fact, very annoyed that people think that he meant it about Iraq.
I just object to the jist of the song. And to the demographic the song appeals too. I don't like this country going around and flaunting its obvious kick-ass muscle. I would like us to act more like we are part of a world population than the big bully on the block.

Billo_Really said:
I just object to the jist of the song. And to the demographic the song appeals too. I don't like this country going around and flaunting its obvious kick-ass muscle. I would like us to act more like we are part of a world population than the big bully on the block.

But you have to consider the time when it was written.

But you have to consider the time when it was written.
I do. Just because I argue against that point of view, doesn't mean I'm not cognizant of it. In fact, I used to HAVE that point of view. I voted for Reagan twice. I grew up as a Republican. A god-damn American. USA, USA, USA! I was one of those guys who had to pull over on the side of the freeway just to get out of the car and scream at the top of my lungs when the US Hockey team beat the Russians in the 1980 Winter Olympics.

I understand why he wrote it and what he was saying. I don't fault him for that.

The best concert I have ever been to was a tribute to Tom Jobim, the brazilian jazz artist. Gal Costa sang, it was amazing. I saw it at the Hollywood Bowl. I do not know why I am saying this, no one knows who he is.

Okay. Just as long as we are on the same page as far as his genius is concerned. ;)

Originally posted by Kelzie (the sneaky vegan):
Okay. Just as long as we are on the same page as far as his genius is concerned.
Now don't be trying to sneak a little bullshit in with your tofu. I never said I thought he was a genius. A genius in music to me is John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Pete Townsend, Slash, Angus Young, etc...

Originally posted by Z.D.
The best concert I have ever been to was a tribute to Tom Jobim, the brazilian jazz artist. Gal Costa sang, it was amazing. I saw it at the Hollywood Bowl. I do not know why I am saying this, no one knows who he is.
Wasn't he the guy in the "Grapes of Wrath"?

Billo_Really said:
Now don't be trying to sneak a little bullshit in with your tofu. I never said I thought he was a genius. A genius in music to me is John Fogerty, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, John Lennon, Pete Townsend, Slash, Angus Young, etc...

Ah come on! "I want to talk about me"? Great song.

And you forgot about Garth Brooks.

Ah come on! "I want to talk about me"? Great song.

And you forgot about Garth Brooks.
I didn't forget about him. He's got my real name. Besides, from what I've seen, his concerts are like rock shows.

Billo_Really said:
I didn't forget about him. He's got my real name. Besides, from what I've seen, his concerts are like rock shows.

You've seen him! I am so jealous.

You've seen him! I am so jealous.
No, I haven't seen him in person. Just on TV. The only country bands that I've seen in concert have been Charlie Daniels, Marshall Tucker Band and the Little River Band. Charlie and Marshall were opening for Eric Clapton and Little River was opening for The Who. Although, I normally would not go see them on their own, I have to admit, the did rock. Tucker kicked ass!

I've seen just about everybody I wanted to see. With the exception of AC/DC [the Greatest Band of All-time]!

The most fun I ever had at a show was pogoing all night long to XTC. This was before Andy Partridge developed stage fright, and you would hardly know he had it, because he was absolutely beaming the whole time, and they were fantastic.

Best virtuose performance was Robin Trower right after he left Procol Harum and went solo.

Best small club show was U2. Always nice to see people before they get big.

Best zone out for 2 hours was Steven Reich and orchestra. Total trance.

Most savage attack upon a musical instrument was Cecil Taylor hammering away at his piano.

Stage that needed the most reinforcement was Pere Ubu. If you've seen, you know.

Other highlights are Lou Reed, Elvis Costello, Primus, Genesis (w/Gabriel), Fred Frith, Yes, Wishbone Ash, and the Buzzcocks.

Best concert I ever saw hands down was Ani DiFranco...she was playing just her guitar, by herself in the mall in philadelphia. I dont think she even had an album or a label out yet. I was 13 and I will never forget that.

If that doesnt count, then Howard Jones, The Human League, and Culture Club all playing the Walnut Creek Amphitheater in Raleigh in 1999...that show was fun just for the novelty of it.

Rancid. 2003. 52nd and Broadway Roseland Ballroom. Tiger Army was excellent Roger Miret and the Disasters were outstanding and Rancid blew me away. Great bands, great people, great pit. Never been to a show like it since then.

Just a note: I prefer to call concerts "Shows" when refering to punk rock but I guess there isn't a difference.

greatest concert of all time for me:

Between The Buried and Me (BTBAM) With Classic Case, Red Orchestra, and Giant. $10 At Cat's Cradle (2 days ago!)

Arch Enemy said:
greatest concert of all time for me:

Between The Buried and Me (BTBAM) With Classic Case, Red Orchestra, and Giant. $10 At Cat's Cradle (2 days ago!)

Oh wow, thats right, you are from North Carolina...I miss the Cat's Cradle...thats where I saw They Might Be Giants...and Amy Ray...and the Butchies...how is that place doing?

Franks Zappa..... Ironically 'The Best band you ever saw' tour.
Then Bruford, Brand X.
Concert... Bach's Mass in B minor.
I'm jealous of the list of bands you've seen Billo :mrgreen:
Jeez... Led Zep & all those stemmed from here & I never got to see them :(

jallman said:
Oh wow, thats right, you are from North Carolina...I miss the Cat's Cradle...thats where I saw They Might Be Giants...and Amy Ray...and the Butchies...how is that place doing?

The Cat's Cradle, I love more then life itself. I'd give my left arm if they even mentioned closing it.

Raleigh Born, Hillsborough raise, but Chapel Hill is the very reason why I live.

Oh dear god, how I love shows. Next Year's Goal: Go to 50 Shows :mrgreen:

Originally posted by Robin:
Franks Zappa..... Ironically 'The Best band you ever saw' tour.
Then Bruford, Brand X.
Concert... Bach's Mass in B minor.
I'm jealous of the list of bands you've seen Billo
Jeez... Led Zep & all those stemmed from here & I never got to see them
To be honest, I wish I was 5 years older. I used to have a buddy that was AT Monterey Pop Festival. If I was his age, I would have been able to see Jimi Hendrix at the Golden Bear in Huntington Beach, Ca. I would have been able to see The Cream, the Beatles at Hollywood Bowl, the Stones.......wait a minute.........I did see the Stones at Madison Square Garden on my way to Europe in '75. They were pretty good. I would have been able to see Van Morrison when he was with Them. The Yardbirds, Blind Faith, Derek and the Domino's, Traffic, CSNY, CCR, The Doors at the Wiskey, I might have even taken a shot at Woodstock. I'm a little too young for all that. I get pissed just thinking about it.

All we did was give you Elvis, and in return, you took over our country. I remember watching the Ed Sullivan show when the Beatles hit town, and I'll tell ya, there hasn't been anything like that since! You couldn't even here them. All you heard, was the sound of a jet engine, that's it! Just a concert long scream! I'm sure if it was The Who, I would have heard them.

I haven't been to that many concerts but my favorite show was probably the Sugarcubes. I don't count arena shows, I have been to see a few big names, but I don't enjoy them as much as club shows. Jane's Addiction was great, too. And, believe or not, I got dragged to see Frankie Goes to Hollywood back in the day - they actually put on a terrific performance. I was surprised.

Most fun at a show: Public Enemy - Fear of a Black Planet tour.

Most memorable concerts: GWAR - twice. Nobody does it better....

Arch Enemy said:
The Cat's Cradle, I love more then life itself. I'd give my left arm if they even mentioned closing it.

Raleigh Born, Hillsborough raise, but Chapel Hill is the very reason why I live.

Oh dear god, how I love shows. Next Year's Goal: Go to 50 Shows :mrgreen:

Yeah, I miss hanging out in Chapel Hill...Franklin Street on Halloween, the Pink Floyd laser show at the Moorehead Planetarium, Breadman's after the going to Gotham. I need to get back there for a spell. Duke st and 9th streets in Durham werent bad either...Ravena's, definitely the best book store in the country.

Back
Top Bottom