• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best Baseball Team

davidtaylorjr

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
What was the best baseball team of all time?

Organization and Year

Mine, '75 Reds

'92 and '93 World Series Champion Toronto Blue Jays - if there hadn't been a baseball strike in '94 they might have three-peated.

I'll go with the '27 Yankees. Cliche I know, but with a team average of .307, a run differential of nearly 400, and a 110-44 record, they're hard to beat. Honorary mentions go to the '75 Reds and '98 Yankees for their dominance, with the former being degraded by the lack of a true ace and the latter for lack of star power or individual statistical dominance. In terms of even earlier teams, the '06 Cubs, the '15 Sox and the '04 Giants deserve recognition for pitching excellence, although the Cubs lack of a title, the Sox's lower win total and the Giants lack of offensive potency place them below the teams mentioned above.

I'll go with the '27 Yankees. Cliche I know, but with a team average of .307, a run differential of nearly 400, and a 110-44 record, they're hard to beat. Honorary mentions go to the '75 Reds and '98 Yankees for their dominance, with the former being degraded by the lack of a true ace and the latter for lack of star power or individual statistical dominance. In terms of even earlier teams, the '06 Cubs, the '15 Sox and the '04 Giants deserve recognition for pitching excellence, although the Cubs lack of a title, the Sox's lower win total and the Giants lack of offensive potency place them below the teams mentioned above.

I also like the 1990 wire to wire Reds.

Well....the '27 Yankees have to be in the mix.

The starting lineup batted .327 as a whole and they scored almost 1000 runs while kicking out a .714 winning percentage.

Also deserving of at least a mention is the '29 A's. Beat out what was still a very good Yankees Team by 18 games and housed several Hall of Famers in Foxx, Simmons, Cochrane and Lefty Grove.

Well....the '27 Yankees have to be in the mix.

The starting lineup batted .327 as a whole and they scored almost 1000 runs while kicking out a .714 winning percentage.

I'm sure you're much more a baseball purist and more steeped in the game than I am, but I always find it hard to credit any ancient team with being the best team in any sport simply because the players today or in this generation are bigger, stronger, faster, better equiped and I'd argue virtually every player playing today would be a star if transported back to 1927. That said, from the statistics you posted, they certainly were far superior to any competition they faced.

I'm sure you're much more a baseball purist and more steeped in the game than I am, but I always find it hard to credit any ancient team with being the best team in any sport simply because the players today or in this generation are bigger, stronger, faster, better equiped and I'd argue virtually every player playing today would be a star if transported back to 1927. That said, from the statistics you posted, they certainly were far superior to any competition they faced.

I'm not so sure that today's players could make it in the old days. Especially if you take out steroids, and all of the modern medicine and equipment, human vs human no additional factors, our guys today just aren't as tough in my opinion as the early era of baseball.

I'm not so sure that today's players could make it in the old days. Especially if you take out steroids, and all of the modern medicine and equipment, human vs human no additional factors, our guys today just aren't as tough in my opinion as the early era of baseball.

Maybe not - the current players certainly are pampered more today - but I often hear old time hockey players, as an example, marvel at how much faster the game is now and how much stronger and bigger the players are, how much more physical the game is, etc. I'm sure the same is true about football and basketball, perhaps not so much so with baseball, however.

Maybe not - the current players certainly are pampered more today - but I often hear old time hockey players, as an example, marvel at how much faster the game is now and how much stronger and bigger the players are, how much more physical the game is, etc. I'm sure the same is true about football and basketball, perhaps not so much so with baseball, however.

Baseball is a lot less physical today. You don't have the Ty Cobb's, Pete Rose's, and others slamming and spiking people everyday.

That's always been one of those factors that's so hard to define. I have no idea how fast Walter Johnson threw his fastball or how much range Honus Wagner had but it was a whole different game back then. A pitcher who only threw 200 innings was slacking. Hell, in 1913 Walter Johnson threw 346 innings with a 1.14 ERA and that wasn't even the year he put in the most work!

The guys would have to travel by bus and train instead of by air. Those schedules must have sucked! If you got banged up you got an ice pack instead of todays "miracle" creams. You were also expected to play every game. If you tore a rotator cuff you were done...someone else was taking your place and you'd better start looking for another job. There were no domes or climate controlled dugouts. There was no training film to watch.

I really don't know if todays players are better than the guys who played in the 20's and 30's. I figure that there's probably a better pool of talent to pull from but I suspect that only makes the field a little more even, not "better".

1966 Orioles or 1971 Orioles.

1971 O's had 4 20 game winners and nobody on the team had more then 100 RBIs.

Any love for the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers? They won 2/3's of their games, they won the World Series and contributed some names to the Hall of Fame - Koufax, Snider, Robinson, Campanella. Certainly one of the best.

Any love for the 1955 Brooklyn Dodgers? They won 2/3's of their games, they won the World Series and contributed some names to the Hall of Fame - Koufax, Snider, Robinson, Campanella. Certainly one of the best.

Great team for sure!

Great team for sure!

I'm a little biased. The only piece of baseball memorabilia I have is an autographed team ball with these names and others that I took possesion of when my father died in 1970. I remember when he got it from a Dodgers executive who was his patient in 1956. He was very proud of it despite being a St Lous Cardinals fan himself.

I'm a little biased. The only piece of baseball memorabilia I have is an autographed team ball with these names and others that I took possesion of when my father died in 1970. I remember when he got it from a Dodgers executive who was his patient in 1956. He was very proud of it despite being a St Lous Cardinals fan himself.

That's a pretty good prize to have!

O's 1966 team had Jim Palmer, Frank Robinson, Brooks Robinson, and Luis Aparicio.

'75 Boston Red Stockings.

...that's 1875 Red Stockings. 71-8.

I'd go with the '08 Cubs, but in modern baseball, I would have to give a nod to the 75-76 Reds. That hitting in what was still a pitchers era was fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom