• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Best 60's Magical Mistress Sitcom?

Which one do you prefer?

• Bewitched

• I Dream of Jeannie

Results are only viewable after voting.
ie_56446.jpeg

I knew someone was going to bring that up!

Can't we just chalk the "master" thing up to a cultural difference?

Well, if you consider being a genie a culture. I always figured waiting on a man hand and foot like that was more like a job. A punishment.

Samantha always had a brain, and most importantly, she had free will. Jeannie was a ditz, and she had no free will, she had to be subservient to her "Master", she was contractually bound.

And, Uncle Arthur was awesome.

Uncle Arthur was so badass! And Endora? Endora was my hero.

You think Jeannie ever told Master to sleep on the couch? Hell no. Samantha had Darren on the couch half the series.

Its like the difference between Adams Family and the Munsters.

The Munsters wanted to fit in and assimilate, but the Adams Family didn't give a rip about society, they embraced their weirdness full on.

Ok...I'm very conflicted because I loved them both...but gave the nod to Jennie because Barbara Eden was soooo damn beautiful!

Its like the difference between Adams Family and the Munsters.

The Munsters wanted to fit in and assimilate, but the Adams Family didn't give a rip about society, they embraced their weirdness full on.

Loved the Addams family far more. I used to have Morticia as a profile pic.

Well, if you consider being a genie a culture. I always figured waiting on a man hand and foot like that was more like a job. A punishment.

Well, to be fair, they did put her in a bottle and threw it in the ocean.... so I've got to figure she must have done something pretty bad.

Loved the Addams family far more. I used to have Morticia as a profile pic.
Munsters had their charms too, I once met Al "Granpa" Lewis at LAX, he was....interesting.

Voice artist Billy West (Futurama) does a spot on impersonation of him, he knew him from working on Stern's show. West has done multiple episodes of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, each one hilarious.

Samantha always had a brain, and most importantly, she had free will. Jeannie was a ditz, and she had no free will, she had to be subservient to her "Master", she was contractually bound.

And, Uncle Arthur was awesome.
Paul Lind?

Alright... here it is - the question that has been debated for over 50 years. We finally decide once and for all. Which show was better? Bewitched or I Dream of Jeannie?
You undercut the whole premise, the answer is Jeannie.....because Samantha was MARRIED to Darrin(s), ie, she was not a "mistress"

You undercut the whole premise, the answer is Jeannie.....because Samantha was MARRIED to Darrin(s), ie, she was not a "mistress"

Ahhhh.... But there are two meanings to the word "mistress" - 1. a woman having an extramarital sexual relationship, especially with a married man; and 2. a woman in a position of authority or control.

I'd argue that the second applies to both Samantha and Jeannie... even if Jeannie did call Tony "master", she was the one actually in control of the relationship. And Samantha was obviously in control of Darrin... even if she felt the need to hide her magical nature around others.

Munsters had their charms too, I once met Al "Granpa" Lewis at LAX, he was....interesting.

Voice artist Billy West (Futurama) does a spot on impersonation of him, he knew him from working on Stern's show. West has done multiple episodes of Gilbert Gottfried's podcast, each one hilarious.

Oh I loved Munsters, too, but Addams Family was more to my liking.

That's cool about Grampa Munster, and Billy West.

Ahhhh.... But there are two meanings to the word "mistress" - 1. a woman having an extramarital sexual relationship, especially with a married man; and 2. a woman in a position of authority or control.

I'd argue that the second applies to both Samantha and Jeannie... even if Jeannie did call Tony "master", she was the one actually in control of the relationship. And Samantha was obviously in control of Darrin... even if she felt the need to hide her magical nature around others.

Agree and disagree. Though Jeannie often obeyed her master even when he gave stupid commands, she often found ways to cross him up any time he tried to date some other girl. So she picked and chose when to obey.

Samantha made more attempts to be deferential to Darren’s will, not least because her crazy relatives were the ones causing trouble for him. At the same time one might argue that whenever Endora gives Darren hell, the mother may be doing things the daughter would like to do, just to puncture hubby’s ego.

I really can’t choose. Jeannie was better at the silly stuff, and when Bewitched tried to be consciously silly, it was just dumb. But Bewitched was better when its comedy was based upon the struggles of married people to deal with their spouse’s habits and background.

I've been a "Bewitched" fan since I was a child. Still watch to this day.

My first daughter's name is Tabitha. :)

I watched "Jeannie" also, but Samantha is far more feisty with Darren. I never could wrap my head around the whole "Master" bullshit that came with Jeannie.
My daughters name is Sabrina...😁

Booooooomers! :p

Back
Top Bottom