• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie Supports, What Should Bernie Do?

Bernie Supports, What Should Bernie Do?

• Total voters
The reality is, Clinton would make a better Republican than Trump does.

The reality is, Clinton would make a better Republican than Trump does.

A better question would be... Who would make a better Republican than Hillary Clinton?

As a non-Bernie supporter this is how I somewhat view things. Bernie has accused the Democrat party of cheating him and some say there is evidence of that. Their interactions between each other have been pretty civil but there have been attacks and policy differences. Bernie claims to run as the pro-worker candidate free from corporate cash and to my knowledge states Hillary is bought out by Wall Street and represents big corporate/bank money and will only perpetuate America's cycle into a shrinking middle class and growing oligarchy.

I think given his campaign, if he is going to stand on his principals he cannot endorse Hillary Clinton. To do so means he simply hates the Republicans more than he honors his values. I don't see how you can run a "revolution" and then settle for the "lesser of two evils." To be honest, is Sanders does support Hillary I think he'd do so because he was whipped by the Democrats to do so.

If his whole campaign is to advance his values I think he needs to stay in the race and the spotlight by running independently for president or for Jill Stein. If he endorses Hillary I don't see how he can try and keep his revolution going. At that point he has settled and given her the reigns to do things how she wants to. Given the two candidates I hardly think they are comparable in policy and in past record.

Last edited:
What Bernie should do obviously depends.

If he can negotiate with Hillary to get some meaningful concessions and representation for his movement, he and his supporters should get behind her.

If not, he should direct them to Jill Stein.

Poll Results said:
Endorse Hillary Clinton and rally support for her
5 27.78%

d0gbreath, EnigmaO01, iguanaman, Phys251, Van Basten

Also the bolded aren't Bernie supporters and never have been; the latter three are notorious pro-Hillary partisans; the former straight up hates the man.

Last edited:
It's obvious Bernie will not get the Democrat nomination. My question is mainly geared to Bernie supporters and what they'd like to see him do after the convention.

Jill Stein has publicly asked Bernie to be her VP candidate several times in a bid to "keep the revolution going." Both of their political philosophies seem nearly identical.

I believe back in July the Dems promised to support the eventual nominee. Should Bernie hold to that and formally endorse and support Hillary Clinton for the presidency? Some argue Bernie was cheated by the Democrats which would make that past agreement null and void.

Should Bernie just retire? Or should he still continue to run as a presidential candidate and not as someone's VP?

If you chose other please give your opinion.

I don't think Bernie would even consider being Jill Steins VP. To do so he would lose all the clout he earned in the Democrat party....which he depends on to get elected and vote for the issues that he and his supporters care about in congress. But I think his campaign did earn him a lot more respect and clout in the party to get some of his policies on the platform...if he doesn't alienate the Democrats first, that is. But I think now he might be losing some of his support and by convention time he might not have as much clout as he would have had he dropped out earlier. Whatever happens, I think Bernie has a lot to be proud of with his revolutionary campaign and I hope he makes a difference in the Democrat party.

What Bernie should do obviously depends.

If he can negotiate with Hillary to get some meaningful concessions and representation for his movement, he and his supporters should get behind her.

If not, he should direct them to Jill Stein.

Also the bolded aren't Bernie supporters and never have been; the latter three are notorious pro-Hillary partisans; the former straight up hates the man.

Yeah, it's clear that people who aren't Bernie supporters are voting in this poll. Not surprising that pro-Hillary dp members would be actively interested in falsifying polls. Isn't that what the Hillary for Victory campaign is all about? Lie, deceive and shill away.

Yeah, it's clear that people who aren't Bernie supporters are voting in this poll. Not surprising that pro-Hillary dp members would be actively interested in falsifying polls. Isn't that what the Hillary for Victory campaign is all about? Lie, deceive and shill away.

No kidding!

Moot

Another Hillary shill voting where he shouldn't.

Sorry Bernie supporters but the rich and powerful have picked their puppet for the democrats and it is not your guy. He should have took their bribes I mean support. They own the media as well so he really never had a chance. Trump will find out next that if he doesn't become a servant of the rich and powerful he will be next to be crushed by a bias and the truly rich and powerful.

After some thought:

I would agree he should back Shillary if she compromises with him in meaningful ways, first and foremost finance reform.

Since I feel that is unlikely..... especially if the attitude of her most faithful is any indicator, he should explore his options. First and foremost are the 3rd party elements in play. Stein and the greens, Johnson and the libertarians, and the ever present "Others". If a 3rd party is ever going to win or even just make a respectable showing, the various elements need find common ground to stand on together. I don't know what the platform would be exactly, or what the ticket would look like, but if Berners and Greens and Libertarians and a decent chunk of the Others got behind the same candidate...well, a lot of us here at DP would like to see how that race played out, me included. Do those ideologies conflict too much? Good question, it depends on the issues I guess. But none of those groups are being represented this election. That ....could be opportunity knocking.

Bernie has stated he does not want to be a spoiler candidate. He said he would do what it takes to stop Trump. He did not explicitly say he would back her majesty. If he could stop Trump without doing so, I think he would jump at the chance.

If a system that is entrenched into being a 2 party system is ever going to break the chains that bind it, I imagine "What it would take" would look a lot like this election cycle. After this, expect more strings to be tied to the system, that establishments can pull if the winds ever turn against them again. This scenario, as unlikely as it was in the first place, will be far more unlikely to arise again. Not saying 3rd parties will never have a chance, but this is a unique opportunity that offers an unusually high chance at success. 2 Horribly disliked candidates, one nominated in protest, one levering her way in via all sorts of illegitimate help. So many people want another option.

After some thought:

I would agree he should back Shillary if she compromises with him in meaningful ways, first and foremost finance reform.

Since I feel that is unlikely..... especially if the attitude of her most faithful is any indicator, he should explore his options. First and foremost are the 3rd party elements in play. Stein and the greens, Johnson and the libertarians, and the ever present "Others". If a 3rd party is ever going to win or even just make a respectable showing, the various elements need find common ground to stand on together. I don't know what the platform would be exactly, or what the ticket would look like, but if Berners and Greens and Libertarians and a decent chunk of the Others got behind the same candidate...well, a lot of us here at DP would like to see how that race played out, me included. Do those ideologies conflict too much? Good question, it depends on the issues I guess. But none of those groups are being represented this election. That ....could be opportunity knocking.

Bernie has stated he does not want to be a spoiler candidate. He said he would do what it takes to stop Trump. He did not explicitly say he would back her majesty. If he could stop Trump without doing so, I think he would jump at the chance.

If a system that is entrenched into being a 2 party system is ever going to break the chains that bind it, I imagine "What it would take" would look a lot like this election cycle. After this, expect more strings to be tied to the system, that establishments can pull if the winds ever turn against them again. This scenario, as unlikely as it was in the first place, will be far more unlikely to arise again. Not saying 3rd parties will never have a chance, but this is a unique opportunity that offers an unusually high chance at success. 2 Horribly disliked candidates, one nominated in protest, one levering her way in via all sorts of illegitimate help. So many people want another option.

I'm ready to end this sordid love affair with Republicans and Democrats humping one another, depending on the year. Let's have a four party system.

After some thought:

Bernie could win running as an Independent. He could win by a landslide.

Bernie could win running as an Independent. He could win by a landslide.

I think there enough indepedent votes out there, enough liberals who hate Shillary, enough conservatives that hate Trump (although many are hung up on "free stuff"), that if Bernie played it right, perhaps compromised on his platform slightly, picked up the right VP (Johnson? Don't know enough about him to know if he'd even accept)...... It could happen. Assuming no election day shenanigans. Funny things happen when you run against a Clinton.

Gaztopian: another Hill Shill trying to skew the poll by voting option 2.

Wiggens also a Hill Shill voting "Drop out of politics and retire"

Painter I've never seen post anything in favour of Bernie, though he has posted in favour of Hillary.

So among actual Sanders supporters, and not shills/Hillary partisans, "Endorse Hillary Clinton and rally support for her" has in reality all of a single vote down from eight; even assuming Painter is legit, that's only two; pathetic.

Last edited:
In my opinion he should drop out, and help Hillary beat Trump.

You can say anything about Hillary, but she has won and he should respect that.

In my opinion he should drop out, and help Hillary beat Trump.

You can say anything about Hillary, but she has won and he should respect that.

She has won what, exactly?

She has won what, exactly?

She has won the nomination. She won the popular vote, number of states and the number of delegates.

Of course he can run as an independent, but that could make Trump win.

I heard Bernie say the other day that he would vote for Hillary. It sounded like he's holding out endorsing until she puts some of his ideas into the plan. I'd like to see him rally the young vote for her. I'm not wild about her either, but I can't stand Trump.

Back
Top Bottom