• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie Scores Decisive Win Against Hillary in Univision Debate

Risking Sanders would be a bad choice. Admittedly Clinton is not a very appetizing candidate, but at least she does not want to do things that would harm the vital functions of the country.

You should be happy to have Hillary. She's republican at the core. She's a war hawk, lord knows that's up your ally, her super pac funders are all big business. She's pro Wall Street, pro MIC, pro big oil, pro big Pharma, she'll give you TPP and the keystone pipe line. She's a cons wet dream.

Compassion is fine in a private person. In a position of power it almost invariably does a lot of harm and weakens the country for all the Good reasons without helping those it aims to.

Hogwash!!

I watched enough of the debate to see the clear distinction between the two candidates. One comes across as calculating while the other sells passion. But, both twist the truth to suit their particular agenda.

Last night Hillary was under attack while Bernie played the populist who never does anything wrong. Obviously, the latter is BS and the former was the result of being under perpetual spotlights.

It really comes down to what you like. Do you like a Wall Street basher who proposes fundamentally altering the way things are done in the USA, or a competent game-manager who will pretty much follow the Obama game plan?

I'm giving the nod to Hillary simply because she is the pragmatic, realist. Bernie is the populist selling unrealistic crap to a bunch of idealists.

You should be happy to have Hillary. She's republican at the core. She's a war hawk, lord knows that's up your ally, her super pac funders are all big business. She's pro Wall Street, pro MIC, pro big oil, pro big Pharma, she'll give you TPP and the keystone pipe line. She's a cons wet dream.

If she weren't a crook.....

PS: Nice to see you back in old form. ;)

If she weren't a crook.....

PS: Nice to see you back in old form. ;)

What I presented is established. Has she been convicted as a crook? I never went anywhere??

What I presented is established. Has she been convicted as a crook? I never went anywhere??

The things I researched way back showed an exceedingly high probability that she had received illicit money, while her husband was Governor. The transactions were too improbable to be anything other than a payoff. As that was not the only murky circumstance in their past that was not made transparent, I would treat it like the cloth coat Nixon issue and not buy a used car from that woman. That is not enough to put her in jail. It is a stupid person that would vote for someone with that type of suspicion lingering under normal conditions, which the present ones are not really.

Maybe I just didn't see any entries by you.

The things I researched way back showed an exceedingly high probability that she had received illicit money, while her husband was Governor. The transactions were too improbable to be anything other than a payoff. As that was not the only murky circumstance in their past that was not made transparent, I would treat it like the cloth coat Nixon issue and not buy a used car from that woman. That is not enough to put her in jail. It is a stupid person that would vote for someone with that type of suspicion lingering under normal conditions, which the present ones are not really.

Maybe I just didn't see any entries by you.

You'll not see me defending Hillary, I can't stand the woman and would vote for Trump or third party to keep her away from the Whitehouse. But as to her business dealings, with few exceptions, and Bernie being one of them, that's politicians.

The NYT didn't seem to think so in an article I read earlier this morning. But, we shall see.

Now THERE is an unbiased publication! :lamo

You don't get a standing ovation for a debate rebuttal and then lose.

That just doesn't happen.

Where did the standing ovation happen?

Interestingly to note, Cons fear Bernie more than Clinton.

Yes, he's the stronger candidate. Many people have been saying so a for a long time. The Trade/jobs issue is crushing her and the speeches behind closed doors at investment firms is a self-inflicted wound. Her cowardice in hiding behind "I'll release transcripts when other people release them" is also exacerbating the issue. As Sanders rightly pointed out he has no transcripts to release because he gave no such speeches.

Actually yes, that is my take; Clinton got her clock cleaned, and those clips in the vids I linked were pretty much only the beginning of the beating she got throughout that debate. I don't think Sanders really fell flat on any of his answers in spite of your obvious dislike of the man and partisan opposition towards him.

In this election you are going to have to read between the lines. With Americans so divided down the middle, whoever is president is going to have to work with the other party and make compromises. Yes, neither party gets everything they want, but both parties come out of negotiations with something..... Which is why Hillary would be a better choice than Bernie...... Which is also why Trump would be a better choice than Cruz. Bernie and Cruz are both playing to their parties' extremes. While I would not be crazy about a Clinton presidency, it really doesn't bother me as much as a Sanders presidency. This is also why, although I am well known on this board for bashing Trump, I would not be that upset by a Trump presidency either. Trump is a negotiator, and I am sure that, just like Reagan did, he would work with Democrats to unity the country, and get it moving. IMHO, it's all about pragmatism. Sure, you can have Cruz or Sanders as president, but what then? Nothing will get done, as both sides will dig in. That is not what is best for America. At this time in our history, both sides are going to have to make compromises in order to get anything done. My vote is still going to be for Gary Johnson, but Trump or Hillary I can live with, although I would really have to hold my nose. Damn, would I ever have to hold my nose. LOL.

I did not watch it, but found both the NYT and Washington post ambivalent on who might have won. The same for other things I read, except, where bias the normal bias spoke. Here is a typical article:
https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...930a7b7_story.html?wpmm=1&wpisrc=nl_headlines

NYT endorsed Hillary, and Washington Post has been notoriously pro-Hillary from the start; these sources are pretty much the diametric opposite of neutrality. They probably wouldn't report a Sanders win even if Hillary herself came out and admitted it.

Risking Sanders would be a bad choice. Admittedly Clinton is not a very appetizing candidate, but at least she does not want to do things that would harm the vital functions of the country.

An opinion which is not borne out in the practice of other first world countries.

I watched enough of the debate to see the clear distinction between the two candidates. One comes across as calculating while the other sells passion. But, both twist the truth to suit their particular agenda...

It really comes down to what you like. Do you like a Wall Street basher who proposes fundamentally altering the way things are done in the USA, or a competent game-manager who will pretty much follow the Obama game plan?

I'm giving the nod to Hillary simply because she is the pragmatic, realist. Bernie is the populist selling unrealistic crap to a bunch of idealists.

Hillary is experienced (as his Bernie; actually look at his Senatorial record and legislation he's sponsored/cosponsored that passed all chambers), not competent, suffers from chronic poor judgment (Libya, e-mail scandal, blanket surveillance voting, Iraq vote, taking dirty money, or money that has the appearance of corruption) and is fundamentally corrupt per her donors. Obama's 'game plan' hasn't been especially inspiring or effective either. You may disagree with Sanders' positions, but there is no disagreeing with the fact that Wall Street does in fact deserve severe criticisms outside of partisan disingenuity.

Further, for all the talk about Hillary being a realist, there are two things to keep in mind:

#1: No Dem president, Hillary or Bernie, will be able to pass any kind of substantive progressive legislation while the Republicans control the Senate and House, no matter how 'moderate' they may be; something Bernie has pointed out repeatedly. Obama has proven this, and as you've yourself admitted, she would largely represent a continuity of his primarily status quo policy.

#2: If the Dems do take the Senate and House as they'll need to in order to meaningfully advance their agenda, Bernie's legislation would get passed about as readily as Clinton's: if he were president, then used the bully pulpit and the momentum of his victory to award the Democratic Party ultimate power, there is no way it would conspire against him in the face of such a definitive mandate.

In this election you are going to have to read between the lines. With Americans so divided down the middle, whoever is president is going to have to work with the other party and make compromises. Yes, neither party gets everything they want, but both parties come out of negotiations with something..... Which is why Hillary would be a better choice than Bernie...... Which is also why Trump would be a better choice than Cruz. Bernie and Cruz are both playing to their parties' extremes. While I would not be crazy about a Clinton presidency, it really doesn't bother me as much as a Sanders presidency. This is also why, although I am well known on this board for bashing Trump, I would not be that upset by a Trump presidency either. Trump is a negotiator, and I am sure that, just like Reagan did, he would work with Democrats to unity the country, and get it moving. IMHO, it's all about pragmatism. Sure, you can have Cruz or Sanders as president, but what then? Nothing will get done, as both sides will dig in. That is not what is best for America. At this time in our history, both sides are going to have to make compromises in order to get anything done. My vote is still going to be for Gary Johnson, but Trump or Hillary I can live with, although I would really have to hold my nose. Damn, would I ever have to hold my nose. LOL.

As above I honestly don't believe there can be compromise with the Republicans. Why would Hillary be any more able to work with them than Obama who holds pretty much the same positions? Again, keep in mind that one of the primary pillars of Clinton's campaign is regime continuity.

In the end though, this thread is not about who you think would be the better president, but who won the debate, and that in my view, and in a view of seemingly general consensus, was Bernie.

Im actually looking forward to Hillary getting her ass handed to her in Florida. People think they know nasty campaigning/ They havent seen anything until they see Hillary pissed.

Not sure if it will happen. Florida IS DWS backyard.

There are a lot of Americans who want the things that Sanders is offering.

There are a lot of Americans who want the things that Sanders is offering.

If they want what Sanders is offering, they're not Americans. They're eastern bloc Europeans.

If they want what Sanders is offering, they're not Americans. They're eastern bloc Europeans.

Or y'know, just Europeans; or Canadians; or Australians, etc...

EDIT: Just to be perfectly clear in the seemingly likely event that the above point would be entirely missed, they're people who recognize Sanders solutions as having worked admirably in the vast majority of the developed world and therefore want in on that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom