• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie sanders wants to tax stock trades to pay for free college

The difference between this and most other campaign stunts is Bernie actually means what he says. He's probably the most consistent politician we have. Yeah, it's unlikely to pass, but Bernie wants people to know what he stands for and I'm going to do my part to help him.

Yes, we know. With libs, and only libs, it's the thought that counts. :roll:

Gee, a communist darling calling for more taxation. How original. :roll: :roll:

:doh
Oh yes. More people getting a higher education, how hurtful!!!

Actually, it is "hurtful". If everybody has a college degree, they become meaningless. Why do you think there are so many individuals with degrees working in menial positions?

Actually, it is "hurtful". If everybody has a college degree, they become meaningless. Why do you think there are so many individuals with degrees working in menial positions?

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Are you saying it is healthier for our nation to have less educated people?

Wait, wait, let me get this straight. Are you saying it is healthier for our nation to have less educated people?

That's not at all what I said. I said it's not beneficial for everyone to have a degree.

But any motivated high school student today can get a scholarship to attend.

wrong
there are many high school students who are performing well academically who do not qualify for an academic scholarship
there are too many students applying for too few scholarships

That's not at all what I said. I said it's not beneficial for everyone to have a degree.

So you're saying at a certain point having too many educated people becomes harmful? In countries that offer free/cheap college does every person have a college degree?

There's nothing profound about what you said that requires rereading by any stretch. You posted graphs showing a correlation between individual education levels and dependence on public assistance.

I simply pointed out a mathematical fact: correlation doesn't imply causation in any way.

Poof, you're wrong. Just admit it and bow out gracefully. One of us learned something in his intro to statistics class. And I didn't require Bernie sanders to pay for it, imagine that

please share with us why those who are most reliant on government assistance are also those who are the least educated

I have no idea what that accusation means and I never mentioned one thing about such nonsense.

Taking money from a person who earned it just because you think he should have to support your ideals is based on envy

There's nothing profound about what you said that requires rereading by any stretch. You posted graphs showing a correlation between individual education levels and dependence on public assistance.

I simply pointed out a mathematical fact: correlation doesn't imply causation in any way.

Poof, you're wrong. Just admit it and bow out gracefully. One of us learned something in his intro to statistics class. And I didn't require Bernie sanders to pay for it, imagine that

i'm not wrong. people with less education draw more public assistance.

please share with us why those who are most reliant on government assistance are also those who are the least educated

All I can tell you with certainty is that correlation doesn't imply causation, as I've already established. I can only speculate as to what the cause is.

Making it through school requires hard work and persistence. Making a good living requires hard work and persistence. Some people possess those traits in greater quantities than others.

it is called degree of separation and the standards go higher and higher.

anytime before 2000 you could easily get by with a 2 year degree in a technical field and be set making 50-60k+ year.

after the market was flooded with 2 year degrees they want 4 year degree's.
now I am seeing companies demanding masters and phd's for previous 4 year degrees that or tons of job experience.

this in turn demands more and more resources for college.

I would love to go get my masters in management but the cost to do so is not profitable for the return that I would get.

better idea to tax investment income as income above a cap.

An even better idea would be to cut the federal government down to size so less tax income is necessary.

Taking money from a person who earned it just because you think he should have to support your ideals is based on envy

Thats silly and without any evidence to support such a personal assertion.

that doesn't mean a lower level of education causes people to draw more public assistance.

There could be other factors

just so we're clear : you are disputing that education level and eventual dependence on entitlements are directly linked?

An even better idea would be to cut the federal government down to size so less tax income is necessary.

we should start by ending foreverwar and a few failed policies like the drug war. that should free up some cash to help send the kids to school.

Thats silly and without any evidence to support such a personal assertion.

Sorry, but there is no other explanation, and it isn't intended to be personal but rather general

All I can tell you with certainty is that correlation doesn't imply causation, as I've already established. I can only speculate as to what the cause is.

Making it through school requires hard work and persistence. Making a good living requires hard work and persistence. Some people possess those traits in greater quantities than others.

and does the data not tell us that those who are less self reliant are also those who are less educated?

then what would seem to be the missing ingredient for more self reliance?

So you're saying at a certain point having too many educated people becomes harmful? In countries that offer free/cheap college does every person have a college degree?

Look, I am not going to engage in silly little games of you attempting to put words in my mouth. If you wish to engage in actual debate, please let me know.

Look, I am not going to engage in silly little games of you attempting to put words in my mouth. If you wish to engage in actual debate, please let me know.

Is that not what you were saying? Please elaborate if I have misunderstood you. Is there a point at which too much education becomes a bad thing?

Is that not what you were saying? Please elaborate if I have misunderstood you. Is there a point at which too much education becomes a bad thing?

Yes, that is not what I was saying (as if you didn't know).

There is point at which over taxation to pay for useless degrees becomes a bad thing. There is also a point at which a glut of artificially created degrees becomes detrimental to the job market. We are already there. Why would you want to double down? To say nothing of what over taxation does to economies in general. When are libs ever going to realize these simple truths? Is there ever a point at which taxation becomes burdensome in the mind of a liberal? Why is the lib solution to every problem, another tax?

Is there ever a point at which taxation becomes burdensome in the mind of a liberal?

Spending more on military than the rest of the world combined is burdensome. Not cracking down on rich people that avoid their taxes and make more of it come from the rest of us is burdensome. Not forcing businesses to pay people reasonable wages so our taxes can stop paying for so much welfare is also burdensome.

Sorry, but there is no other explanation, and it isn't intended to be personal but rather general

Again- you have no evidence for your personal judgment and assessment of my motivations.

Back
Top Bottom