• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bernie Sanders should run as a 3rd Party

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Anyone else support this idea? I think it would be an excellent idea for Bernie and his supporters to have an actual voice instead of being forced to vote for crooked Hillary.

I fully support Bernie running as a 3rd party.

I can definitely dig it. I've already ruled out voting for Hillary, anyways.

I'm a huge Sanders supporter, but running third party would 100% guarantee a Trump presidency. I'm not voting for Clinton, but that big of a split of the left could not be overcome.

I'm a huge Sanders supporter, but running third party would 100% guarantee a Trump presidency. I'm not voting for Clinton, but that big of a split of the left could not be overcome.

Why do you think he is pushing the idea?

Go for it! Feel the Bern!

Only problem with this is that it's too late to put your name on the ballot in most states. The decision to run 3rd party needed to have been made many months ago.

He's going to throw his support to Hillary and the vast majority of his voters will vote for her. #betonit

Anyone else support this idea? I think it would be an excellent idea for Bernie and his supporters to have an actual voice instead of being forced to vote for crooked Hillary.

Well that is the crux of the matter, what happens the vote becomes the question to discuss.

The argument comes down to Bernie running as a 3rd Party and probably Independent. This does two things. One, gives left leaning voters someone to support who have already decided not to vote for Hillary no matter who she runs against or picks as a VP. Two, forces other more moderate and establishment voters to potentially jump ship and support Bernie. What I cannot seem to find is much polling reference to what happens if it is Trump (R) v Hillary (D) v Sanders (I) in the general.

Republicans have already had to have this conversation on the assumption that establishment GOP could stop Trump and force him to a 3rd party run. Similar to what Republicans faced with that scenario, the other question is does Sanders pull enough support away from Hillary to give Trump the win? It would be something that Sanders himself would have to consider and it would boil down to the lesser of two evils result. Or, not running as 3rd Party and doing what he can to ensure Hillary beats Trump.

I don't.

I think Trump should run 3rd party in addition to Republican. It's the only way he can win.

Again, this won't happen because it's too late to get on the ballot, but in the situation of Trump (R), Hillary (D), and Sanders (I)....the most likely result would be none of the candidates getting the required 270 electoral delegates and the decision of who becomes president would go to the House of Representatives, who I believe would select Trump if all three remained in the race.

If it were to become a house vote, I think that Sanders would drop out and the vote would be between Trump and Clinton, in which case I think Clinton would win.

Sanders has already pledged several times to support the Democratic nominee. Breaking that pledge would cause a rift within his own camp and the Democratic party as a whole. It would be Ross Perot II and advantage Trump. But nice try Bucky.

Isn't it too late to get on the ballot in most major states? Also wouldn't he be disqualified due to 'sore loser' laws? I'm very open to being shown that this isn't the case.

Isn't it too late to get on the ballot in most major states? Also wouldn't he be disqualified due to 'sore loser' laws? I'm very open to being shown that this isn't the case.
Actually, I think you're probably right.

Sanders has already pledged several times to support the Democratic nominee. Breaking that pledge would cause a rift within his own camp and the Democratic party as a whole. It would be Ross Perot II and advantage Trump. But nice try Bucky.

Can I ask what has Hillary done to earn the vote of Sander supporters?

Can I ask what has Hillary done to earn the vote of Sander supporters?

Besides voting alongside him in the Senate 93% of the time?
Besides holding similar positions on just about every major issue that Sanders supports (especially compared to Trump)?

Doesn't mean Bernie's supporters will go for Hillary. As much as 40% could vote for Trump.

Embrace the Donald!

Trump's actually got a pretty good chance to win the presidential election.

OK.

I'll give him a 1% chance, which is pretty good considering.

Now if he ran 3rd party as well as Republican, his chances would improve.

Doesn't mean Bernie's supporters will go for Hillary. As much as 40% could vote for Trump.

Embrace the Donald!

Go Trump!

What has Bernie done to earn the vote of his supporters?

He holds positions that they like.
He votes for bills/laws that they support.

Clinton is pretty damn close to Bernie when you compare their positions and their voting record is in alignment 93%.

What else does Clinton have to do to 'earn' their vote? Should she offer each one of them a back rub and maybe detail their car?

When you compare Trump to Bernie, the differences are stark.

Neither is trump.

I'm not going to argue with that, but I'm pretty sure there are many who would on this forum. After all, Trump is the Republican nominee, so they would have that trump card.

"At the end of the day," he said, "if we stand together as one people and not allow the Trumps of the world to divide us up ... there is nothing that we cannot accomplish. That is what this campaign is about."

-Bernie Sanders - yesterday

"At the end of the day," he said, "if we stand together as one people and not allow the Trumps of the world to divide us up ... there is nothing that we cannot accomplish. That is what this campaign is about."

-Bernie Sanders - yesterday

Hillary should be in prison just like... Robert Blake.

Back
Top Bottom