• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie Sanders on Foreign Policy: “Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lot”

VanceMack

Less like the tiger...more like the lion.
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sanders-bobbled-foreign-policy-1401903242035254.html

How the literal hell did we get THIS FAR into the democrat party nomination process before someone finally asked him some foreign policy questions of substance?

If Trump gave these kind of answers this would be the lead on SNL, Comedy Central, MSNBC, etc.

Look...thats a good question and if I had my talking points paper in front of me, I could answer it.

Yikes.

Re: Bernie Sanders on Foreign Policy: “Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lo

People are swooned by Bernie's far-left ideology and "good guy" demeanor. Substance be damned. He's the Trump of the Dem party (minus the nastiness).

When you can rally tons of support on the mantra of "Tax the rich, tax Wall Street, you're a victim of the 1%" and whatnot that's not much different than rallying tons of support under "build a wall with Mexico, freeze Muslim travel into the US, end free trade" etc. People buy into buzzwords and extreme policies that tickle their fancy.

Last edited:
Re: Bernie Sanders on Foreign Policy: “Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lo

If Trump gave these kind of answers this would be the lead on SNL, Comedy Central, MSNBC, etc.

Did they do a sketch on this yet?

Foreign policy: 'I'm speaking with myself, No. 1, because I have a very good brain,' Trump said. 'And I've said a lot of things.'

Donald Trump says he has a 'very good brain' and on foreign policy matters he consults with himself | Daily Mail Online

People are swooned by Bernie's far-left ideology and "good guy" demeanor. Substance be damned. He's the Trump of the Dem party (minus the nastiness).

When you can rally tons of support on the mantra of "Tax the rich, tax Wall Street, you're a victim of the 1%" and whatnot that's not much different than rallying tons of support under "build a wall with Mexico, freeze Muslim travel into the US, end free trade" etc. People buy into buzzwords and extreme policies that tickle their fancy.

VanceMack's title is completely dishonest about what the article actually says. This is where the "I haven't thought about it a whole lot" comes from:

Where would a Sanders administration imprison and interrogate a captured Islamic State commander?

“Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lot,” the senator answered. Sanders went on to say that such prisoners should be held in a safe, secure locale, ideally not far from where they were captured, and that he was open to jailing them on U.S. soil.

Why would he think about something that specific, especially where someone in the chain of command will already have an answer, which he could override when it comes time to think about it?

I'm not Bernie supporter, but I still don't think it's cool to straight-up lie about him.

Did they do a sketch on this yet?

Foreign policy: 'I'm speaking with myself, No. 1, because I have a very good brain,' Trump said. 'And I've said a lot of things.'

Donald Trump says he has a 'very good brain' and on foreign policy matters he consults with himself | Daily Mail Online
Yes...I'm sure they did. The question is will they now do one on Bernie “Look, why don’t I support a million things in the world?" or Bernie "No one has told me what to think" (apparently he doesnt have a very good brain), or Bernie "I dont know if using drones is a good idea or a bad idea or if its the right policy, but I do know drones are modern weapons".

VanceMack's title is completely dishonest about what the article actually says. This is where the "I haven't thought about it a whole lot" comes from:

Where would a Sanders administration imprison and interrogate a captured Islamic State commander?

“Actually I haven’t thought about it a whole lot,” the senator answered. Sanders went on to say that such prisoners should be held in a safe, secure locale, ideally not far from where they were captured, and that he was open to jailing them on U.S. soil.

Why would he think about something that specific, especially where someone in the chain of command will already have an answer, which he could override when it comes time to think about it?

I'm not Bernie supporter, but I still don't think it's cool to straight-up lie about him.
:lamo

The article is full of examples where he expressed he didnt know, couldnt give an opinion, or just flat out admitted he hadnt given it any thought. Your kneejerk defense of him is priceless though.

:lamo

The article is full of examples where he expressed he didnt know, couldnt give an opinion, or just flat out admitted he hadnt given it any thought. Your kneejerk defense of him is priceless though.

So you have a problem with an honest candidate for a change?

Yes...I'm sure they did. The question is will they now do one on Bernie “Look, why don’t I support a million things in the world?" or Bernie "No one has told me what to think" (apparently he doesnt have a very good brain), or Bernie "I dont know if using drones is a good idea or a bad idea or if its the right policy, but I do know drones are modern weapons".

What would be a cool skit would be a Bernie impersonator dressed as Obi-Wan Kenobi, then have a reporter (dressed as an Imperial stormtrooper) ask him about his foreign policy and drones, and then have Obi-Wan Bernie do the Jedi mind trick waving his hand in front of their face and saying "You don't need to see my foreign policy" and "These are not the drones your looking for" then "You can go about your campaign without being asked such things" and finally "Move along" with the stormtrooper repeating each sentence after Obi-Wan Bernie says it.

That would be funny to watch.

Honest or not, these guys have no idea what they're doing, other than appeals to emotion and popularity.
I respect his honesty but also understand he shouldn't be pres, nor should the rest of the candidates.

I already stated my problem.

"How the literal hell did we get THIS FAR into the democrat party nomination process before someone finally asked him some foreign policy questions of substance?"

After all this time and all the debates and all the campaigning...it shows just how vapid he is and what kind of a fluff job the media has done. Promise people free ****, blame the rich...and thats about all it takes to have a large percentage of rat supporters eating out of your hand.

I already stated my problem.

"How the literal hell did we get THIS FAR into the democrat party nomination process before someone finally asked him some foreign policy questions of substance?"

After all this time and all the debates and all the campaigning...it shows just how vapid he is and what kind of a fluff job the media has done. Promise people free ****, blame the rich...and thats about all it takes to have a large percentage of rat supporters eating out of your hand.
Why are you blaming him for not being asked foreign policy questions by the media? If you have a problem with Sanders not being asked substantive foreign policy questions shouldn't you be blaming the News Media?

Here's your thread title: Bernie Sanders on foreign policy "I haven't thought about it a whole lot"

Here's what he was talking about "Where would a Sanders administration imprison and interrogate a captured Islamic State commander?"

Stop trying to paper over your lies with weasel words.

Here's your thread title: Bernie Sanders on foreign policy "I haven't thought about it a whole lot"

Here's what he was talking about "Where would a Sanders administration imprison and interrogate a captured Islamic State commander?"

Stop trying to paper over your lies with weasel words.
You probably missed it. There was an article that cited numerous factors...just one of which (the one you are wetting yourself over) involves foreign prisoners at GITMO and the possibility of more.

The article cited numerous accounts of his vapid response to foreign policy questions. Your kneejerk defense of the indefensible is comical. Compared to the average Trump supporter? hell...you got nothing on them.

Honestly daft and full of bad ideas? That's a good candidate?

https://www.yahoo.com/news/bernie-sanders-bobbled-foreign-policy-1401903242035254.html

How the literal hell did we get THIS FAR into the democrat party nomination process before someone finally asked him some foreign policy questions of substance?

Look...thats a good question and if I had my talking points paper in front of me, I could answer it.

Yikes.

The Dem establishment just saw him as crazy Bernie who couldn't possibly win so they didn't bother.
But now that he has won like 6 primaries in a row and is getting uncomfortably closer they actually have to dig through is policies, or lack of them, to help out Hillary.

Why are you blaming him for not being asked foreign policy questions by the media? If you have a problem with Sanders not being asked substantive foreign policy questions shouldn't you be blaming the News Media?

Dooooooood...are you even following the conversation? Like...wasn't that my point in the OP? Didn't I SPECIFICALLY ask how we got this far without him being asked these questions?

The Dem establishment just saw him as crazy Bernie who couldn't possibly win so they didn't bother.
But now that he has won like 6 primaries in a row and is getting uncomfortably closer they actually have to dig through is policies, or lack of them, to help out Hillary.

So to you...asking him foreign policy questions he can't answer is helping Hillary, not just asking questions any presidential contender would be asked???

So to you...asking him foreign policy questions he can't answer is helping Hillary, not just asking questions any presidential contender would be asked???

I think the motivation of the media to do it right now as opposed to months ago is likely just that yes.

I think the motivation of the media to do it right now as opposed to months ago is likely just that yes.

Well thank goodness SOMETHING caused them to ask basic foreign policy questions.

Yikes.

Bernie Sanders doesn’t know whether President Obama’s signature counterterrorism strategy, drone strikes, is the right approach to the problem. Fifteen years into a bitter national debate about Guantanamo Bay, he hasn’t thought much about where he would imprison and interrogate a captured terrorist leader. He can’t explain his call for Israel to pull back from some settlements on Palestinian land because he doesn’t have “some paper” in front of him. He also can’t say why he doesn’t support Palestinians taking action against Israel before the International Criminal Court.

I'm disappointed with Senator Sanders. He's been a senator long enough to have formed an opinion on these things. I'm not giving Trump a pass by any means, but at least he has an excuse for his foreign policy ignorance - he has no experience and no inside information to base a good opinion on.

Very embarrassing interview. I honestly wonder, though, how many of the other candidates would have answered many of those questions.

I don't think it's humanly possible for a single person to have detailed views of every arguably major foreign and domestic policy issue. At best, these candidates probably have memorized talking points but not very detailed or informed views on probably 50% of the issues. They get away with it by avoiding questions, changing the subject.

It's almost refreshing to hear someone say "I haven't thought about it" and proceed to think out loud, or "I'd need to see some authority" and give some example of what they'd want to know. That tells you more about their decision-making process than a talking point.

That said, I don't think Sanders has much of a plan for how to address the core issue of his campaign - wealth inequity - and to not have a detailed and practical plan on so central an aspect of his campaign I think is disqualifying.

Honest or not, these guys have no idea what they're doing, other than appeals to emotion and popularity.
I respect his honesty but also understand he shouldn't be pres, nor should the rest of the candidates.

No idea? A little hyperbole don't you think for a man that has been in politics as long as Sanders.

where are the Saudis going to put the Islamic extremist commander? that's what i want to know, since it's their region, and it's their job to keep it stable. they need to handle their own **** and stop looking to the US. so far, they have been an absolute ****show as regional hegemon.

No idea? A little hyperbole don't you think for a man that has been in politics as long as Sanders.

No I mean it.
The primary job of the president is CNC and international diplomacy, among other things.
He should have that settled before social policy.

:lol: Sanders would be a disaster on foreign matters, which is a make or break issue for myself as a voter. What makes that fact worse is the completely untenable nature of his domestic agenda ( at least with the current make up of Congress). His would likely prove to be an utterly wasted, if not dangerously incompetent term in office.

Back
Top Bottom