• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bernie Sander Supporters, if Hillary is the nominee will you vote for trump?

Bernie Sander Supporters, if Hillary is the nominee will you vote trump?

• Total voters
It's been suggested that any and all Bernie supporters will vote trump if Hilary gets the nominee . . .so is that true?

Yes
No
Other
Definitely not. If you are supporting Sanders to advance left-wing policies rather than because of mindless hatred of the establishment, voting for the alt-right is out of the question.
A multi party system won't happen as long as we have a FPTP voting system. Everytime a 3rd party has gotten big it because people are voting for someone or against someone, it never has any lasting effect.
This bears repeating. Majoritarian democracies favor two centrist parties because parties can only win seats by appealing to as many people as possible.
Voting Trump as a gambit to discredit the GOP, pave the way for Elizabeth Warren in 2020 and simultaneously punish the DNC for effectively rigging the nomination process to the utmost extent it could get away with is certainly a legitimate approach.

This is a terrible idea.

1. Why would putting a right-wing candidate into office encourage the Democrats to move to the left? For every left-winger who is voting for Trump to force the Democratic Party to the left, how many Blue Dog Democrats and independents do you think are voting for Trump because they genuinely align with him? Ten? Fifty? If anything, this would cause the Democrats to move to the right.

2. In democracies, parties lose elections all the time. Losing the presidency once isn't going to cause a massive realignment in the Democratic Party.

3. This election has real consequences for real people. Even leaving aside the impact that Trump's policies would have on Hispanics and Muslims, electing Trump empowers the xenophobes, misogynists and quasi-fascists that back him in a dangerous way.

1. Why would putting a right-wing candidate into office encourage the Democrats to move to the left? For every left-winger who is voting for Trump to force the Democratic Party to the left, how many Blue Dog Democrats and independents do you think are voting for Trump because they genuinely align with him? Ten? Fifty? If anything, this would cause the Democrats to move to the right.

2. In democracies, parties lose elections all the time. Losing the presidency once isn't going to cause a massive realignment in the Democratic Party.

Because the painfully obvious take away per all the polling data is that the Democrats would have failed not due to a lack of right wing alignment, but due to Hillary being disastrously unpopular outside of the Democratic Party (and only slightly favoured within) and because of discontent at the DNC's manipulation of the primary outcome to this disastrous end. One need not look beyond the relative trust, approval and favourability ratings between Bernie and Hillary and support of their respective platforms at the national level to arrive at this conclusion. This is no ordinary electoral cycle.

3. This election has real consequences for real people. Even leaving aside the impact that Trump's policies would have on Hispanics and Muslims, electing Trump empowers the xenophobes, misogynists and quasi-fascists that back him in a dangerous way.

Overblown. Again, I don't believe for a second Trump is going to follow through on the majority of the scary rhetoric. The guy is a barker, saying what he needs to in order to get elected; if there is one thing Trump is, it's inconstant.

Because the painfully obvious take away per all the polling data is that the Democrats would have failed not due to a lack of right wing alignment, but due to Hillary being disastrously unpopular outside of the Democratic Party (and only slightly favoured within) and because of discontent at the DNC's manipulation of the primary outcome to this disastrous end. One need not look beyond the relative trust, approval and favourability ratings between Bernie and Hillary and support of their respective platforms at the national level to arrive at this conclusion. This is no ordinary electoral cycle.
All this really means is that the Democrats will have to choose someone more palatable from a PR perspective (if they even go that far, since Trump will most likely not win by a landslide). How a Trump victory means that the Democrats will have to nominate someone like Sanders or Warren in 2020 to gain power is beyond me, since it would far more reward the Democrats to emulate Trump than to move in the other direction.

Overblown. Again, I don't believe for a second Trump is going to follow through on the majority of the scary rhetoric. The guy is a barker, saying what he needs to in order to get elected; if there is one thing Trump is, it's inconstant.

We obviously have no real sense of what Trump would do in power. However, if he wants to be reelected in 2020, he can't abandon his core driving principle of nativism without alienating those who voted for him this time around. Even if he doesn't want another term, it's quite a gamble to assume he won't push some of his destructive policies.

Really, though, Trump's supporters terrify me far more than the man himself. Outright white supremacists and otherwise alienated far-right ideologues have coalesced around him and may be able to rely on the "silent majority" of the white working class to get him (and therefore any preferred candidate of theirs into the foreseeable future) into office. Actual left-wingers empowering the European-esque right that backs Donald Trump just because Clinton leaves a bad taste in their mouths is a textbook example of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Last edited:
It's been suggested that any and all Bernie supporters will vote trump if Hilary gets the nominee . . .so is that true?

Yes
No
Other

Good LORD NO!!!!
OMG, this is not a joke. If you hear a Sanders supporter say that, they ARE in point of fact, NOT a Sanders supporter, or they're an IDIOT, or they are working for Trump or maybe even Hillary, but I say Trump.

Sanders and Trump aren't apples and oranges, they're wolves and tangerines.

All this really means is that the Democrats will have to choose someone more palatable from a PR perspective (if they even go that far, since Trump will most likely not win by a landslide). How a Trump victory means that the Democrats will have to nominate someone like Sanders or Warren in 2020 to gain power is beyond me, since it would far more reward the Democrats to emulate Trump than to move in the other direction.

How is this so difficult to understand?

If Hillary loses, it will be in all probability because she largely failed to get Bernie's supporters onside, which leads us to ask why and the answer is obvious: they are rightfully resentful over DNC repeatedly and egregiously meddling in her favour, and that she did not make any overtures to earn their allegiance by adopting portions of Bernie's campaign. The obvious conclusion therefore is not that Hillary failed because she wasn't sufficiently like Trump, who is himself a deeply flawed and unpopular candidate, but because she and the DNC failed to embrace the awakening progressive wing of the Democratic Party, and those independents who share in its ideals. It's not a question of mere PR or charisma, it's a question of policy, compromise and integrity.

We obviously have no real sense of what Trump would do in power. However, if he wants to be reelected in 2020, he can't abandon his core driving principle of nativism without alienating those who voted for him this time around. Even if he doesn't want another term, it's quite a gamble to assume he won't push some of his destructive policies.

Actual left-wingers empowering the European-esque right that backs Donald Trump just because Clinton leaves a bad taste in their mouths is a textbook example of cutting of your nose to spite your face.

Again, there are salient arguments for backing Trump that have nothing to do with merely finding Clinton herself distasteful.

Second, the man is a complete wild card yes, but to be entirely honest, I would be surprised if he followed through with most of his worst ideas when he's actually in a position to do so. Is it a gamble? Sure; but it's one I'm tempted by in light of what's at stake. If Hillary wins, the DNC will be handsomely rewarded for its undemocratic manipulation of the Dem primaries which guarantees not only a reiteration but an expansion of such untenable behaviour in the future.

Personally, I could be convinced to vote Clinton, but only if she actually takes up key segments of Bernie's platform (getting money out of politics by working to have Citizen's United and Buckley v Valeo overturned, publicly financed elections, etc... and singlepayer are the two major ones); anything less would be utterly unacceptable.

Last edited:

Bingo. Giving Trump's racist agenda a mandate (on the assumption he's secretly just kidding) is insane.

When Berners refer to themselves as New Deal Democrats, I didn't realize that meant committing to repeating the worst sin of the New Deal--namely, throwing minorities overboard in hopes of advancing an economic agenda. That isn't progress.

Hell no. I will vote for a third party candidate, but never compromise by voting for Clinton or Trump.

Bingo. Giving Trump's racist agenda a mandate (on the assumption he's secretly just kidding) is insane.

When Berners refer to themselves as New Deal Democrats, I didn't realize that meant committing to repeating the worst sin of the New Deal--namely, throwing minorities overboard in hopes of advancing an economic agenda. That isn't progress.

He's flipflopped on virtually everything else under the sun; why should I assume he will go all the way with his xenophobic rhetoric?

3o7WTCBePyp2GCamIM.gif

He's flipflopped on virtually everything else under the sun; why should I assume he will go all the way with his xenophobic rhetoric?

If that's a gamble you're willing to take, I'm guessing you're not directly affected by it one way or the other. Which is why MadLib's point was worth highlighting: this election has real consequences for real people.

Yes
No
Other
I think Trump is full of himself if he thinks die Sanders supporters would vote Trump if Clinton is the democrat nominee. It makes no sense because Sanders supporters agrees with Clinton's campaigned issues a whole lot more than Trump's campaigned issues. At most they would vote 3rd party, leave that part of the ballot blank or simply not show up to the polls.The Sanders supporters who are die hard party-tards will vote for whoever the democrat nominee is regardless of how much they detest the democrat nominee, they just want their party to win.

If that's a gamble you're willing to take, I'm guessing you're not directly affected by it one way or the other. Which is why MadLib's point was worth highlighting: this election has real consequences for real people.

Of course I'd be directly and adversely affected by many of his policies assuming he were willing to follow through on them; it's not like I've got nothing to lose here when he, for example, talks up climate change denial, Heritage picked Justices and getting rid of the Paris Climate Accords and Dodd Frank, incomplete and inadequate as they are. Maybe I don't have as much on the line as an illegal in California for example, but that doesn't mean a Trump presidency wouldn't have real ramifications for me.

That having been said though, in light of his noted penchant for overstatement and inconsistency I ultimately feel that the damage he deals will be limited and he will largely walk away from hollow rhetoric tailored to winning the Republican nomination.

EDIT: More devout Hillary supporters casting votes they shouldn't alongside Moot: Nilly and Phys251; the hell are you doing on this poll?

Last edited:
Johnson will be enormous this year. His poll numbers will grow and grow until he hits that sweet spot of 15% and gets in the debates.

No he won't. Not even close.

No thats not what I should have asked at all since that would have nothign to do with that statement that was made, your question would be retarded and answer nothign about it LMAO
The statement was said that ALL bernie supporters will be voting for trump if hillary gets the nominee, your question wouldnt address that statement.

You could've put an answer that said neither. It would give a better general idea of how people really feel. Just because someone isn't gonna vote for Trump, doesn't mean they will vote for Hilary.

You could've put an answer that said neither. It would give a better general idea of how people really feel. Just because someone isn't gonna vote for Trump, doesn't mean they will vote for Hilary.

The Op doesnt suggest that in logical way what so ever and that's also why there is an option called "OTHER"

The Op doesnt suggest that in logical way what so ever and that's also why there is an option called "OTHER"

The "other" option is meaningless in this poll. It could mean a million things. So you might as well not even have it there. The better poll would be to ask Sanders people that if Clinton is the nominee will they vote for her or someone else. But you made the ****ty poll, I just found it funny that you call someone's idea retarded when logically his idea makes more sense than this poll.

The "other" option is meaningless in this poll. It could mean a million things. So you might as well not even have it there. The better poll would be to ask Sanders people that if Clinton is the nominee will they vote for her or someone else. But you made the ****ty poll, I just found it funny that you call someone's idea retarded when logically his idea makes more sense than this poll.

Wrong, if you read the OP its perfect . . .my poll is for the info "I" want . . not you or others , thinking otherwise is the retard sand illogical though, it actually couldn't be a more stupid idea for MY poll to answer the question of OTHERS that has NOTHING to do with MY topic. Mine was for ME and a very specific question. The info you want is MEANINGLESS to me. :laughat:

But your failure and angr is hilarious, keep it up. And like I told the other poster who was factually wrong, dont like the poll, make your own or cry some more, either way.... LMAO

I honestly think Sanders would make the most effective president. Despite what some see as his radical positions, I think he would be more practical and skilled at getting cooperation from and working with Congress.

Trump is a blow-hard who only knows how to be an unquestioned boss. He has zero skills needed for the office of the president. Even Hillary has him beat in that regard. Trump will never get my vote. I prefer Bernie, but would vote for Hillary.

I have the feeling that if they are prepared to switch votes to Trump, they aren't really Sanders supporters in the first place.

I have the feeling that if they are prepared to switch votes to Trump, they aren't really Sanders supporters in the first place.

And what's more, they probably don't have enough intelligence to actually figure out how to vote, nor do they even have the intention of actually doing so anyway. There is no way one can practice the kind of mental gymnastics required to switch loyalties from Sanders to Trump and actually be serious about much of anything.

Voting Trump as a gambit to discredit the GOP, pave the way for Elizabeth Warren in 2020 and simultaneously punish the DNC for effectively rigging the nomination process to the utmost extent it could get away with is certainly a legitimate approach.

I keep hearing about "punishing the DNC" but why do I feel that in practice, it looks a lot like "your dogs crapped all over my living room rug so I'm going to beat MY dogs within an inch of their life to punish you" ??

Didn't we just do that in Iraq or sumpin?

Actually I think it's more likely that a Trump presidency would take us to a one-party system. ;)

Yeppers, possibly the very last one party system in the modern era.
WWIII will be fought with nukes but WWIV will be fought with sticks and stones.

Back
Top Bottom