• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Bernie or Busters: What is the Plan Now?

jimithyashford

Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
I want to start by saying that I liked Bernie, and in fact I voted for him in the Primary, and I've never voted in a Primary before. But I never disliked Hillary, I just liked Bernie more, so when it became clear that Bernie wasn't going to get the nomination, I transitions to Hillary support fairly painlessly. However, a lot of my fellow Bernie Supporters did not.

I started seeing #BernieOrBust and even #BernieOrRevolution. Stuff like that. And so I started prodding fellow Bernie supporters with a fairly simple question.....what does "Or Bust" mean? If Bernie does not get the nomination....then what? What is Bust?

Some answered that "Bust" simply meant we squandered an excellent candidate and should be ashamed for having lost this round, like going Bust in a game of Poker even when you had a great hand. But others, many other, in fact most I would say, said that "or Bust" meant something much more.

That it would be Bernie "no matter what it takes". I heard that many many times. So of course I asked for clarification, what exactly does that mean? I got a lot of vacuous fluff mostly, "We will march at the convention, we will protest, we will do a write in campaign". I mean, I guess it's not fair to call that vacuous fluff, it's not nothing, but it also is pretty much the exact same thing the constituency of everyone who has ever lost a primary.

But some have gone even further, what about the #BernieOrRevolution people? What about the #NeverHillary people?

What exactly will you do to stop Hillary, what exactly is the nature of the Revolution you have planned now that it wont be Bernie? You want a third party swing? How exactly do you plan on making that happen.....

That is my question right now, to Bernie supports, or ex Bernie supports, or Never Hillaryers.....What now? What will you do? What do you think you can do? Can you tell me what you think the next steps ought to be, and not in vague generalized platitudes, but like real-world on the ground political strategy.

Thoughts?

I want to start by saying that I liked Bernie, and in fact I voted for him in the Primary, and I've never voted in a Primary before. But I never disliked Hillary, I just liked Bernie more, so when it became clear that Bernie wasn't going to get the nomination, I transitions to Hillary support fairly painlessly. However, a lot of my fellow Bernie Supporters did not.

I started seeing #BernieOrBust and even #BernieOrRevolution. Stuff like that. And so I started prodding fellow Bernie supporters with a fairly simple question.....what does "Or Bust" mean? If Bernie does not get the nomination....then what? What is Bust?

Some answered that "Bust" simply meant we squandered an excellent candidate and should be ashamed for having lost this round, like going Bust in a game of Poker even when you had a great hand. But others, many other, in fact most I would say, said that "or Bust" meant something much more.

That it would be Bernie "no matter what it takes". I heard that many many times. So of course I asked for clarification, what exactly does that mean? I got a lot of vacuous fluff mostly, "We will march at the convention, we will protest, we will do a write in campaign". I mean, I guess it's not fair to call that vacuous fluff, it's not nothing, but it also is pretty much the exact same thing the constituency of everyone who has ever lost a primary.

But some have gone even further, what about the #BernieOrRevolution people? What about the #NeverHillary people?

What exactly will you do to stop Hillary, what exactly is the nature of the Revolution you have planned now that it wont be Bernie? You want a third party swing? How exactly do you plan on making that happen.....

That is my question right now, to Bernie supports, or ex Bernie supports, or Never Hillaryers.....What now? What will you do? What do you think you can do? Can you tell me what you think the next steps ought to be, and not in vague generalized platitudes, but like real-world on the ground political strategy.

Thoughts?

I think Bernie or bust was meant with regards only to the primary that if Bernie lost they would not be voting for Hillary in the general election. Me personally, I was willing to vote for her right up until the weekend before the Democratic Convention. Cheaters aren't supposed to win, and I will feel no guilt for not voting for president. Many agree the down ticket matters more anyway and I will be voting that.

Thoughts?

You are buying into propaganda masquerading as news as it so often does.

Thoughts?

No Bernie, so its time to support the one with the bust (you know, the one with the bust)....

People the tell you they will never do XYZ usually get pragmatic in the end (after the emotion has worn off) and do XYZ, including most of Bernie supporters...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...nvention-is-chaotic-the-democratic-base-isnt/

Last edited:
Care to elaborate? I mean, I'm not denying Propaganda masquerades as news sometimes, but do you have any reason to think this piece is? Do you have a more accurate number regarding the % of Bernie supporters who have switched to Clinton? Obviously plenty have.

I agree with this piece in that Ive seen it reported multiple times. I was trying to say that the Bernie or bust faction are being over reported because the media is trying to fabricate a level of friction that doesn't really exist.

I agree with this piece in that Ive seen it reported multiple times. I was trying to say that the Bernie or bust faction are being over reported because the media is trying to fabricate a level of friction that doesn't really exist.

Ah, I misunderstood you then.

Back
Top Bottom