• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

[R.I.P.] Bernie Madoff dies in prison

Bucky

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
NEW YORK (AP) — Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history, has died in a federal prison, a person familiar with the matter told The Associated Press on Wednesday.

Madoff died at the Federal Medical Center in Butner, North Carolina, apparently from natural causes, the person said. The person was not authorized to speak publicly and spoke to the AP on the condition of anonymity.

Last year, Madoff’s lawyers filed court papers to try to get the 82-year-old released from prison in the COVID-19 pandemic, saying he had suffered from end-stage renal disease and other chronic medical conditions. The request was denied.

RIP to his family. His name will truly live in infamy. Remember, people would borrow money to invest with Madoff. Such a prominent figure. Seems like yesterday...

A true American Tragedy.

RIP to his family. His name will truly live in infamy. Remember, people would borrow money to invest with Madoff. Such a prominent figure. Seems like yesterday...

A true American Tragedy.
Seems a bit weird to say "RIP to his family". I understand you probably meant codonlensces to his family but that wording makes it sound like his family died.

Seems a bit weird to say "RIP to his family". I understand you probably meant codonlensces to his family but that wording makes it sound like his family died.
He ruined a lot of people's lives, INCLUDING his family.. Both sons died, 1 by suicide.. His wife is basically a recluse now.

A true American Tragedy.
? No it's not. It was a scam and he suckered in those who are greedy as hell. I have no empathy for him or his victims.

Bernie Madoff stole from a lot of well heeled people in a surprisingly obvious way.

And his fall coincided with the financial panic of 2008.

His crimes put a media face on financial corruption.

But, at the same time, it diverted people from the far more serious, far more impactful, and far more complex mismanagement of companies like AEG, Wells Fargo, BoA, Bear Sterns, et al.

He should never have been in prison. Non violent criminals should not go to prison.

Good. May he rest in peace and may his many surviving victims now have an additional level of closure.

Respectfully.
Evilroddy.

He should never have been in prison. Non violent criminals should not go to prison.

Then how to deter such crimes? Say bad bad person and let them go on there way?

RIP, I think I will skip my usual "sir" part of that statement and leave it at that.

RIP.

To me, he is the face of American financial institutions. They all do shady stuff, and victimize...he's just the one that got caught.

"NEW YORK (AP) — Bernie Madoff, the financier who pleaded guilty to orchestrating the largest Ponzi scheme in history ..."

Well, second largest if you count Social Security. But I digress.

Home confinement with remote monitoring. Surely you had thought of that.

Not exactly much of a punishment, staying in a multimillion dollar home. Why I would steal a few billion to have that type of confinement

A true American Tragedy.
Odd, but Madoff reminded me of a lesson my dad taught me about 25-35 years ago when I began to be a player on the fast track into an executive office. "Never swindle, regardless how easy it seems," he said. "You'll end up spending your retirement years in prison."

That fit Bernie to a T.

Not exactly much of a punishment, staying in a multimillion dollar home. Why I would steal a few billion to have that type of confinement

You're not Madoff. And who is to say someone like that would get to stay in their own home? They could be required to sell it and buy something much more modest. Use the net proceeds to help compensate their victims.

Then how to deter such crimes? Say bad bad person and let them go on there way?
It, prison, obviously didn't deter him.
If the prospect of prison didn't deter him,I think I might know what would. Poverty. If his wealth was taken from him and his prison sentence was to be served outside, on welfare, not allowed to work or earn, that might be a deterrent to the Madoffs of the world.
Yeah, prison is poverty but not really if everyone around you is in the same condition. Poverty on display in public, with wealth and comfort around but unattainable, is a different matter.

You're not Madoff. And who is to say someone like that would get to stay in their own home? They could be required to sell it and buy something much more modest. Use the net proceeds to help compensate their victims.

Or they would be smart enough to transfer assets around to people/companies that would allow them to hide/ protect assets so that they can still lead life’s of luxury even if caught

People are sent to jail for years stealing a chocolate bar, someone who steals billions should do more time

Or they would be smart enough to transfer assets around to people/companies that would allow them to hide/ protect assets so that they can still lead life’s of luxury even if caught

People are sent to jail for years stealing a chocolate bar, someone who steals billions should do more time

Depends on the circumstances of the crime. Violent theft deserves prison. Non violent theft does not no matter how much is stolen.

It, prison, obviously didn't deter him.
If the prospect of prison didn't deter him,I think I might know what would. Poverty. If his wealth was taken from him and his prison sentence was to be served outside, on welfare, not allowed to work or earn, that might be a deterrent to the Madoffs of the world.
Yeah, prison is poverty but not really if everyone around you is in the same condition. Poverty on display in public, with wealth and comfort around but unattainable, is a different matter.

That he went to jail and died in jail is likely to serve as a deterrent to others that saw it happen. He lost much of his money but I expect he had a lot stashed away either with family or friends or off shore companies that would have left him still quite rich, just not a billionaire

That he went to jail and died in jail is likely to serve as a deterrent to others that saw it happen. He lost much of his money but I expect he had a lot stashed away either with family or friends or off shore companies that would have left him still quite rich, just not a billionaire
150 year sentence! I wonder if the wealth and position of some of his victims contributed to the length of his sentence. People don't get 150 year sentences for defrauding Mom and Pop and the guy down the street.
He might have given powers that be a bad feeling of betrayal, too, because of his own previous positions.

150 year sentence! I wonder if the wealth and position of some of his victims contributed to the length of his sentence. People don't get 150 year sentences for defrauding Mom and Pop and the guy down the street.
He might have given powers that be a bad feeling of betrayal, too, because of his own previous positions.
lol...not when a rapist barely does ten. Yeah, B ripped off the wrong folks.

The US does dumb symbolic stuff like that. For someone as old as Madoff 150 years is the same as 25

Back
Top Bottom