• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Berkeley Touts $15 Minimum Wage and Then Fires Hundreds of Workers After It Passes

Re: Berkeley Touts $15 Minimum Wage and Then Fires Hundreds of Workers After It Passe

depends. when I was a student worker at my college I was extremely busy. I was in the computer services department.
so I was fixing PC's repairing them. at one point they were re-wiring the entire college campus with cat 5 and I was on that
project.

Yes, I would have to think it depends. Yet, if they are going to have to make due with less people, either there is less to do, or they recognize less will get done.

Re: Berkeley Touts $15 Minimum Wage and Then Fires Hundreds of Workers After It Passe

Yes, I would have to think it depends. Yet, if they are going to have to make due with less people, either there is less to do, or they recognize less will get done.

most student workers do all the busy work that the other people don't want to do.
run this here do this form do that form deal with this issue or that issue.
they can actually improve the processes by allowing people to focus on more
detailed work.

no servers make minimum wage or more.
that is the law. they don't make less than minimum wage.

When did that happen? I'm not doubting you....but are you SURE? I've only been out of the restaurant business for....oh, well, I guess about 8 years, now. So, servers make minimum wage, now? So then, how much are the tips taxed at?

Services will get cut. Restrooms will be cleaned twice a week instead of daily. Halls will be swept weekly and mopped monthly instead of swept daily and mopped weekly. This is what happens when you increase costs without increasing income.

And the highest paid within that company will feel the sting as customers flock to other, likely smaller businesses, that managed to keep their pissers clean, and etc. This is an assault on large businesses. Small businesses already pay above minimum wage. What YOU are saying is that BIG businesses, in order to shoulder this increase in operating costs...instead of decreasing corporate officer's compensation by a small percent, like, say, from 5.7 mill per year, down to, say, 5.2 mill per year...would rather skimp on services offered, or on the quality of such. Remember, minimum wage employees don't account for a very large percent of employees...and yeah, raises will need to be issued to the higher paid employees, too...but those raises stop at a certain point...typically at around 42K per year. Take my company, for instance. They raise minimum wage to 15 an hour...DOOM AND GLOOM!!! Right? Well, no. Not really. There are over 65 people within my company that make over 1 million per year, after bonus. Simple. Cut their pay by a small amount, to afford the increase in pay for the lowest employees on the totem. Fail to do that, fine. Offer sub par services. Watch Costco destroy our market share as a result.

Why? Because Costco understand the importance of every employee, and doesn't glorify the executive.

When did that happen? I'm not doubting you....but are you SURE? I've only been out of the restaurant business for....oh, well, I guess about 8 years, now. So, servers make minimum wage, now? So then, how much are the tips taxed at?

their wage + tips at the end of the pay period must equal whatever the minimum wage is or the employer has to make up the difference.
so they make at least minimum wage.

tips are taxed at whatever their withholding rate is.

so lets say a waitress works 40 hours and her state minimum wage is 7.25 an hour.
she makes 2.13 + tips. at the end of the 40 hour week she has to make at least 290 dollars per the federal government.

She makes 85.20 dollars based on her 2.13 an hour. her tips have to be 204.80.

so our waitress this week makes 250 wages and tips. the restaurant owes her 40 dollars to make minimum wage.

now our same waitress lets say made 400 that week wages + tips. she made ore than she should have.
but she only claims half the tips. she is then technically stealing from her employer as he has to cover
her up to minimum wage but then she made more than that.

their wage + tips at the end of the pay period must equal whatever the minimum wage is or the employer has to make up the difference.
so they make at least minimum wage.

tips are taxed at whatever their withholding rate is.

so lets say a waitress works 40 hours and her state minimum wage is 7.25 an hour.
she makes 2.13 + tips. at the end of the 40 hour week she has to make at least 290 dollars per the federal government.

She makes 85.20 dollars based on her 2.13 an hour. her tips have to be 204.80.

so our waitress this week makes 250 wages and tips. the restaurant owes her 40 dollars to make minimum wage.

now our same waitress lets say made 400 that week wages + tips. she made ore than she should have.
but she only claims half the tips. she is then technically stealing from her employer as he has to cover
her up to minimum wage but then she made more than that.

That's the way it's always been, though, even back in the day when I waited tables. We got paid 2 something per hour by the restaurant, and then if we made no tips, the house covered us up to minimum wage, which was 5 and change at the time.

Anyway, the only reason I mention this is, restaurants automate these jobs out, or are working on, and WILL, in the future, DESPITE only having to pay HALF of their entire work force well below minimum wage. So it kinda blows the whole "increases to minimum wage are causing those jobs to be automated" argument out of the water.

If you own a business, and you have a way to decrease your operating costs, you are going to do it. And yeah, robots cost less than humans. They reduce labor.

That's the way it's always been, though, even back in the day when I waited tables. We got paid 2 something per hour by the restaurant, and then if we made no tips, the house covered us up to minimum wage, which was 5 and change at the time.

Anyway, the only reason I mention this is, restaurants automate these jobs out, or are working on, and WILL, in the future, DESPITE only having to pay HALF of their entire work force well below minimum wage. So it kinda blows the whole "increases to minimum wage are causing those jobs to be automated" argument out of the water.

If you own a business, and you have a way to decrease your operating costs, you are going to do it. And yeah, robots cost less than humans. They reduce labor.

no it doesn't. right now it is more benefitial to have a person take orders. most people like the hospitality and the service.
however at some point in time the price of that benefit becomes to much.

at 15 an hour the price is too much.

no it doesn't. right now it is more benefitial to have a person take orders. most people like the hospitality and the service.
however at some point in time the price of that benefit becomes to much.

at 15 an hour the price is too much.

And yet, servers cost the restaurant 2-3 bucks an hour (the Customers foot the rest of the cost), and many chains are getting tablets installed at the tables, for ordering purposes. Outback, TGI Fri, Chili's, Applebees, etc. They are all doing it. And others will follow. Apparently, 2 dollars per hour is too much.

And yet, servers cost the restaurant 2-3 bucks an hour (the Customers foot the rest of the cost), and many chains are getting tablets installed at the tables, for ordering purposes. Outback, TGI Fri, Chili's, Applebees, etc. They are all doing it. And others will follow. Apparently, 2 dollars per hour is too much.

been to plenty of outbacks. they took them out the ones that I saw.

And the highest paid within that company will feel the sting as customers flock to other, likely smaller businesses, that managed to keep their pissers clean, and etc. This is an assault on large businesses. Small businesses already pay above minimum wage. What YOU are saying is that BIG businesses, in order to shoulder this increase in operating costs...instead of decreasing corporate officer's compensation by a small percent, like, say, from 5.7 mill per year, down to, say, 5.2 mill per year...would rather skimp on services offered, or on the quality of such. Remember, minimum wage employees don't account for a very large percent of employees...and yeah, raises will need to be issued to the higher paid employees, too...but those raises stop at a certain point...typically at around 42K per year. Take my company, for instance. They raise minimum wage to 15 an hour...DOOM AND GLOOM!!! Right? Well, no. Not really. There are over 65 people within my company that make over 1 million per year, after bonus. Simple. Cut their pay by a small amount, to afford the increase in pay for the lowest employees on the totem. Fail to do that, fine. Offer sub par services. Watch Costco destroy our market share as a result.

Why? Because Costco understand the importance of every employee, and doesn't glorify the executive.

...and now address the companies that this will hurt A LOT - small businesses that operate on a thin margin. Yes, we all know that it's possible to find a handful examples that show one side of the issue, but how addressing the ten of thousands of small businesses that this will cause massive harm to. Everyone on the left seems to think that the only employers out there are multi-billion dollar corps, but the truth is that most businesses are small time businesses that throwing this kind of increase into their costs will cause huge damage. Now go out and find 3 examples of small businesses that did OK with MW increases and ignore all the ones that get ruined by them.

Yes you should check your own argument as you just conceded what I have been saying.

all worker make minimum wage. it doesn't matter if they area server or not. every worker makes at least minimum wage.
it took me having to go to the government website to prove what you said wrong.

next time read and understand what people are saying instead of making stuff up.

some servers do other servers don't it depends on the restaurant and how busy it is.

You didn't prove anything wrong. A restaurant does not pay the full minimum wage of a server unless that server makes zero tips. But that doesn't really happen ever. Most of the time servers make over the minimum wage when tips are included, so the restaurant only pays a portion of the minimum wage.

next time read and understand what people are saying instead of making stuff up.

You didn't prove anything wrong. A restaurant does not pay the full minimum wage of a server unless that server makes zero tips. But that doesn't really happen ever. Most of the time servers make over the minimum wage when tips are included, so the restaurant only pays a portion of the minimum wage.

wrong they do the government says they have to have a nice day.
I even posted the link.

they make minimum wage or at least minimum wage at the end of the week.
you can't say they don't because the government says they have to and I even posted the link
from the government website.

yes we know you are making stuff up because you are to busy trying to be right instead of understanding the argument.

if a server + tips working 40 hours a week doesn't make 290 dollars the restaurant has to pay them the difference
so that their income = minimum wage.

again you don't know what you are talking about so please just quit. you are fighting a losing battle.

wrong they do the government says they have to have a nice day.
I even posted the link.

they make minimum wage or at least minimum wage at the end of the week.
you can't say they don't because the government says they have to and I even posted the link
from the government website.

yes we know you are making stuff up because you are to busy trying to be right instead of understanding the argument.

if a server + tips working 40 hours a week doesn't make 290 dollars the restaurant has to pay them the difference
so that their income = minimum wage.

again you don't know what you are talking about so please just quit. you are fighting a losing battle.

Yes, again PAY THE DIFFERENCE. A difference is a subtracted value, meaning that unless the server makes zero in tips (this doesn't happen, even bad servers get some money as we've started to take 20% as the standard tip), the restaurant does not pay the full minimum wage. They pay a portion of it, the rest is subsidized through tips by the customer.

Yes, again PAY THE DIFFERENCE. A difference is a subtracted value, meaning that unless the server makes zero in tips (this doesn't happen, even bad servers get some money as we've started to take 20% as the standard tip), the restaurant does not pay the full minimum wage. They pay a portion of it, the rest is subsidized through tips by the customer.

if tips + wages is < minimum wage then the owners have to pay them up to what they would have made in minimum wage
this is federal law. you are wrong because the government says you are wrong that is all there is to it.

I suggest reading up on the subject and read the link I posted from the department of labor.

so I will be as basic as I can since you don't seem to understand.

the restaurant must pay the server minimum wage. so our restaurant pays every 2 weeks like most businesses do.

at 7.25 an hour X 80 = 580 dollars.

this means that all servers working have to make at least 580 dollars at the end of 2 weeks.
if they are working 80 hours. so lets say 1 server makes 500 dollars in the pay period.
the restaurant must pay them 80 dollars so that they make minimum wage.

this is about as basic as you can get. the restaurant must pay all workers minimum wage based on the hours they work.

if a server only works 40 hours those two weeks then they have to make at least 290 dollars during those 2 weeks.

if tips + wages is < minimum wage then the owners have to pay them up to what they would have made in minimum wage
this is federal law. you are wrong because the government says you are wrong that is all there is to it.

I suggest reading up on the subject and read the link I posted from the department of labor.

so I will be as basic as I can since you don't seem to understand.

the restaurant must pay the server minimum wage. so our restaurant pays every 2 weeks like most businesses do.

at 7.25 an hour X 80 = 580 dollars.

this means that all servers working have to make at least 580 dollars at the end of 2 weeks.
if they are working 80 hours. so lets say 1 server makes 500 dollars in the pay period.
the restaurant must pay them 80 dollars so that they make minimum wage.

this is about as basic as you can get. the restaurant must pay all workers minimum wage based on the hours they work.

if a server only works 40 hours those two weeks then they have to make at least 290 dollars during those 2 weeks.

Nothing that you wrote here counters my argument. Keep spinning your wheels if you feel the need, but your "argument" has no traction.

Have a suggestion for you

Take that suggestion/ complaint into your executive offices, and see what happens

65 making a million or more....sounds like a huge conglomerate

Maybe too many executives...maybe not

How brave are you?

Nothing that you wrote here counters my argument. Keep spinning your wheels if you feel the need, but your "argument" has no traction.

thanks for the concession. you have no need to further respond since you have been proven wrong.

the guy that was making 10 an hour now gets 15 the guy that was making 15 wants 20.
the guys that were making between 15 and 20 now want more.

it continues to go up the scale.

if they are making 1m with bonuses then it is in their contract and they are probably sales guys. which means
they are generating way more than 1m a year so why should they take a pay cut for doing their job?

...and now address the companies that this will hurt A LOT - small businesses that operate on a thin margin. Yes, we all know that it's possible to find a handful examples that show one side of the issue, but how addressing the ten of thousands of small businesses that this will cause massive harm to. Everyone on the left seems to think that the only employers out there are multi-billion dollar corps, but the truth is that most businesses are small time businesses that throwing this kind of increase into their costs will cause huge damage. Now go out and find 3 examples of small businesses that did OK with MW increases and ignore all the ones that get ruined by them.

Majority of small businesses pay above minimum wage for a couple of bucks per hour. I can list you more than a few small businesses,y some of which I have WORKED at during minimum wage increases, that have not only done well...but THRIVED during those increases to minimum wage...but you would call this evidence anecdotal.

Have a suggestion for you

Take that suggestion/ complaint into your executive offices, and see what happens

65 making a million or more....sounds like a huge conglomerate

Maybe too many executives...maybe not

How brave are you?

Not brave enough to lose my job, lol! Which is exactly why, in some instance, having a powerful force, like government, REQUIRING employers to do what is better for the economy, and not what is better for the tippy top dogs within that conglomerate (which is BJ's Wholesale Club) often results in a win/win for all involved. You see, the new CEO only factors in the immediate returns on the risks he takes...it's not actually his JOB to insure long term viability. He has a LEGAL obligation to insure short term gains. This sort of thinking and operating is steadily resulting in the demise of the once mighty american business model.

the guy that was making 10 an hour now gets 15 the guy that was making 15 wants 20.
the guys that were making between 15 and 20 now want more.

it continues to go up the scale.

if they are making 1m with bonuses then it is in their contract and they are probably sales guys. which means
they are generating way more than 1m a year so why should they take a pay cut for doing their job?

You seem to be unfamiliar with retail. A 5 trillion dollar per year industry. Get familiar, then get back to me. Unless you are interested in an education right here an now, from me.

You seem to be unfamiliar with retail. A 5 trillion dollar per year industry. Get familiar, then get back to me. Unless you are interested in an education right here an now, from me.

It's the liberal fantasy land, not reality. But, it all makes perfect sense to liberals.

So, they either have less work to be done, or, magically, the workers who are left, are suddenly capable of doing more work.

Because they only magically discovered they didn't need as many workers as they had when the pay jumped up to $15/hr?....

I mean, they were really keeping all those extra employees on as a matter of charity, right?

Because they only magically discovered they didn't need as many workers as they had when the pay jumped up to $15/hr?....

I mean, they were really keeping all those extra employees on as a matter of charity, right?

Must have been so, if all the sudden the same amount of work could be done with fewer payroll hours.

It's the liberal fantasy land, not reality. But, it all makes perfect sense to liberals.

Retail is the liberal fantasy land?

Back
Top Bottom