• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Berkeley to ban junk food in checkout aisles

Then don't talk to me. I don't agree with you about some things if you can't handle that then don't talk to me. I stand by my views. If you think I'm lazy because you fail at convincing me that my views are wrong then maybe you should run away to some safe space and hug a teddy bear.

You're not going to convince me that my opinion is lazy because you can't argue against it and therefore pretend to refuse.

Went right over your head again.
I wasn't talking about your opinion on the subject at all just now.
I responded to what you think is MY opinion.

Whatever indeed everyone that disagrees with you is an authoritarian want to raise this door not yours is xenophobic or fascist or whatever.

We don't have to agree on anything at all but if you're going to mischaracterize me, I'm going to point it out.
"Whatever" is all your lazy jab deserved.

I was responding to how stores can manipulate people.
those big bad stores manipulating poor un suspecting people. They should have to be aware of it and control themselves and should be up till everyone else.
Some set up taste test areas. Others have the bakery area up front so you catch a whiff when you walk in. This store just happened to have great music that got me to linger and on occasion grab something I hadn't planned on. I still shop the same store chain but the music sucks. I also don't grab handfuls of candy bars because they're at the checkout but some people do.
I shop at a grocery store that normally has a really good music I don't buy handfuls of candy bars because I can control myself.

Went right over your head again.
I wasn't talking about your opinion on the subject at all just now.
I responded to what you think is MY opinion.

We don't have to agree on anything at all but if you're going to mischaracterize me, I'm going to point it out.
"Whatever" is all your lazy jab deserved.
So what is your opinion so that I can be sure?

No, it’s an unnecessary intrusion by government. If stores want to do such things on their own, that’s fine, but government should keep out of it.
Some people need the government to be their mommy because they can't control themselves.

No, I've just tired of the hair-splitting.
If you think my idea of authoritarianism is "anyone who disagrees with ME", that reveals your lazy thinking, as I am confident that my posting history on the subject renders your lazy opinion nonsensical and I don't intend to get into an equally nonsensical debate about that with you.

There's no hair-splitting in this post of yours when you decided to state this:
"Trumpers are not in favor of small government, they're in favor of authoritarian government."

Some people need the government to be their mommy because they can't control themselves.

It does deeper. Some from the left think the government should be playing mommy because they don't like the way those other lesser kind of people raise their kids. Michelle's school lunch program?

So what is your opinion so that I can be sure?

I actually think Berkely IS being slightly authoritarian with this ordinance but it boils down to whose ox is being gored as well as how much harm is done.
I doubt shoppers are inconvenienced that much when they know that they can grab their Cheetos and Snickers bars right before the checkout aisle, and the checkout aisle will just have a slightly larger hearing aid battery display instead.

it is profoundly simple it is more simple than continuing whatever haven't you have. It just isn't easy.

I quit smoking 10 years ago that was the simplest thing I've ever done I just didn't smoke any more cigarettes it was more simple than continuing to smoke cigarettes. It wasn't easy things in life were worth doing rarely are.

I'm still not sure of how picking one up from 5 ft away is going to be different than picking it up from 6 in away.
If you can't exercise willpower when the opportunity is right under your nose then you never will. It is extremely simple resist the more you do it the easier it is.

Willpower can't be fabricated out of the lack of temptation, or lesser temptation.

I quit smoking 20 years ago. I left a pack (minus 1) sitting on the counter for a year. I've had people ask me to light their smokes (greasy hands or whatever) and never inhaled them. I can sit right next a smoker and it doesn't phase me. For others just seeing another person light up gets them back.

Unless a person specifically goes to buy a candy bar then their mind is likely elsewhere. Then they get to the checkout and temptation rings. Now if they got up there and saw granola and dried fruit would they think ooh I need to get out of line and go get a candy bar? Doubt it. But if that area is filled with them you can bet a lot will grab one.

I quit smoking 20 years ago. I left a pack (minus 1) sitting on the counter for a year. I've had people ask me to light their smokes (greasy hands or whatever) and never inhaled them. I can sit right next a smoker and it doesn't phase me. For others just seeing another person light up gets them back.
not if they develop some willpower. It's not easy but everyone's capable of it.
Unless a person specifically goes to buy a candy bar then their mind is likely elsewhere. Then they get to the checkout and temptation rings. Now if they got up there and saw granola and dried fruit would they think ooh I need to get out of line and go get a candy bar? Doubt it. But if that area is filled with them you can bet a lot will grab one.
The antidote to temptation is self-control not lack of temptation. Unless you're proposing the store doesn't sell that kind of thing at all or has to put it in a back room that you have to specifically go to the temptation will be there no matter what.

To think it only exists at the checkout line is rather absurd.

not if they develop some willpower. It's not easy but everyone's capable of it.

The antidote to temptation is self-control not lack of temptation. Unless you're proposing the store doesn't sell that kind of thing at all or has to put it in a back room that you have to specifically go to the temptation will be there no matter what.

To think it only exists at the checkout line is rather absurd.

And yet we've already discussed the many ways stores manipulate people into impulse buying. Candy at the checkout has always been about getting that impulse shopper. In Berkeley they're addressing it.

I actually think Berkely IS being slightly authoritarian with this ordinance but it boils down to whose ox is being gored as well as how much harm is done.
I doubt shoppers are inconvenienced that much when they know that they can grab their Cheetos and Snickers bars right before the checkout aisle, and the checkout aisle will just have a slightly larger hearing aid battery display instead.
Okay then I do apologize for mischaracterizing your opinion. As far as this being authoritarian or not I think their heart is in the right place. The only thing I was saying is that it's a better antidote to practice self-control. It seems like that's not a very popular thing these days. And to be honest I don't like it that much. But it's about putting off pleasure in order to be happier. That may seem backward but I've had issues with this sort of thing. I don't want to be diabetic I don't want heart problems. Being able to be older and healthy seems like it would make me happier.

I don't think this is something we can control with laws it's an instinctual thing ingrained in us we want pleasure when you eat chocolate or indulge in various other things it feels good. You have to be able to put that off. I'm not saying never indulge in it at all but moderation.

I think it would be better to spend the money and the time teaching this sort of thing in school. I think there's some reason we don't. If you could take the cinnamon of the Berkeley City council and have them focus it toward the education I think that would pay off.

And yet we've already discussed the many ways stores manipulate people into impulse buying. Candy at the checkout has always been about getting that impulse shopper. In Berkeley they're addressing it.
Taking advantage of the impulsive is probably how many businesses stay in business. People can control whether or not they're impulsive it's not the city or the store or the government's duty to do that

Taking advantage of the impulsive is probably how many businesses stay in business. People can control whether or not they're impulsive it's not the city or the store or the government's duty to do that

So we should entirely drop age limits on cigarettes then?

Perhaps but as we all know, Berkeley is and always has been a centre of lefty authoritarianism, whether mild or whole hog or something in between.

Fair enough.

I swear, every time I wind up in Berkeley (it's been a while - I guess about four years) I get a kind of sense of the mood of the metropolis by looking around at the shops and watching the people.
I always get the impression that most of them seem to regard all of it as a kind of tacit agreement,.
If it's more of a hostage situation, I don't see it because most Berkeleyites for the most part seem to conduct themselves with a commensurate amount of quasi lefty political correctness that taps into a slightly authoritarian vein.
It's a mild undercurrent, I guess, and it's been the same way for so long that for many, it might even be a subconscious thing. These same people could be in Santa Monica and they wouldn't notice much difference but East of the 405 they would question where all the care and feeding of their lefty PC went, at least for a few moments.
I suppose for them, it would feel a bit like the green carpet under their feet being replaced with asphalt.

I'm lefty, but not THAT lefty.

When did I say that?

You didn't. I'm pointing out that if not for government intrusion cigarettes could sell at any given age that a store might choose. And we could use the same argument that it's not up to the government to say if a 10 year old takes up smoking. Or that cigarettes are kept behind counters.

I swear, every time I wind up in Berkeley (it's been a while - I guess about four years) I get a kind of sense of the mood of the metropolis by looking around at the shops and watching the people.
I always get the impression that most of them seem to regard all of it as a kind of tacit agreement,.
If it's more of a hostage situation, I don't see it because most Berkeleyites for the most part seem to conduct themselves with a commensurate amount of quasi lefty political correctness that taps into a slightly authoritarian vein.
It's a mild undercurrent, I guess, and it's been the same way for so long that for many, it might even be a subconscious thing. These same people could be in Santa Monica and they wouldn't notice much difference but East of the 405 they would question where all the care and feeding of their lefty PC went, at least for a few moments.
I suppose for them, it would feel a bit like the green carpet under their feet being replaced with asphalt.

I'm lefty, but not THAT lefty.
Interesting. I've been to Austin Texas and it seems to have a left wing ethos I am not left myself but I do enjoy visiting. I doubt it's anywhere close to Berkeley but you might find yourself right at home. I've never been to Berkeley so I don't really know.

You didn't. I'm pointing out that if not for government intrusion cigarettes could sell at any given age that a store might choose.
They do. I remember being 15 then buying cigarettes. Government intervention has done very little. I don't blame the government I don't blame the store owner if I wasn't in there trying to buy them he wouldn't have sold them to me.
And we could use the same argument that it's not up to the government to say if a 10 year old takes up smoking. Or that cigarettes are kept behind counters.
it isn't. It's up to 10-year-old, and that child's parents. Most people start smoking between 12 and 14.

My argument is not that the government shouldn't do these things but that it can't. It is no replacement for parents.

Interesting. I've been to Austin Texas and it seems to have a left wing ethos I am not left myself but I do enjoy visiting. I doubt it's anywhere close to Berkeley but you might find yourself right at home. I've never been to Berkeley so I don't really know.

The mood and feel of Austin is lefty but a much different lefty.
Texas hippies and country cowfreaks are nothing like the dour fiends of Berkeley.
Yeah, Berkeley is a bit on the dour side.
I used to live in North Texas and my film-video work took me to Austin quite a bit the ten years I was there.

To be sure there's pockets of dour overly PC types, mostly on campus, but the majority of Austin doesn't pay them much mind. Austin is about yeee-haaa good times for kids with long hair whereas in Berkeley you may see knitted brows and a hairy eyeball if your hairstyle is deemed "cultural appropriation".
Yeah, I laugh at the extremes of Berkeley just like "deplorables" do.

The so called free market applies just as much and some on the Right do not acknowledge this because to do so is at cross purposes with their efforts to cast Democrats as all embracing of the most extreme examples of lefy-dom. But it really is the free market, of ideas.

And while that sort of overly PC stuff sells in Berkeley, it doesn't sell quite so much in Austin, or in Bethesda, Maryland, or Minneapolis, or "El Lay".
Water seeks its own level in almost everything.

They do. I remember being 15 then buying cigarettes. Government intervention has done very little. I don't blame the government I don't blame the store owner if I wasn't in there trying to buy them he wouldn't have sold them to me. it isn't. It's up to 10-year-old, and that child's parents. Most people start smoking between 12 and 14.

My argument is not that the government shouldn't do these things but that it can't. It is no replacement for parents.

Unfortunately some parents these days seem to think it's someone else's job to raise their kids. And a lot of that comes from kids having kids. Unless the kid is stealing they're own cigs they couldn't care less. Let somebody else deal.

The mood and feel of Austin is lefty but a much different lefty.
Texas hippies and country cowfreaks are nothing like the dour fiends of Berkeley.
Yeah, Berkeley is a bit on the dour side.
I used to live in North Texas and my film-video work took me to Austin quite a bit the ten years I was there.

To be sure there's pockets of dour overly PC types, mostly on campus, but the majority of Austin doesn't pay them much mind. Austin is about yeee-haaa good times for kids with long hair whereas in Berkeley you may see knitted brows and a hairy eyeball if your hairstyle is deemed "cultural appropriation".
Yeah, I laugh at the extremes of Berkeley just like "deplorables" do.

The so called free market applies just as much and some on the Right do not acknowledge this because to do so is at cross purposes with their efforts to cast Democrats as all embracing of the most extreme examples of lefy-dom. But it really is the free market, of ideas.

And while that sort of overly PC stuff sells in Berkeley, it doesn't sell quite so much in Austin, or in Bethesda, Maryland, or Minneapolis, or "El Lay".
Water seeks its own level in almost everything.
Yeah I don't really have issues with places like Berkely people that live there should have their place. I think that's what you meant by free market of ideas. I've spent time in california, San Diego, LA and Sam Fran this places and a lot like where I live outside of a few things.

Unfortunately some parents these days seem to think it's someone else's job to raise their kids. And a lot of that comes from kids having kids. Unless the kid is stealing they're own cigs they couldn't care less. Let somebody else deal.
Yeah that is a problem it's one in not sure there is a good solution to.

Leftist filth are never happy unless they are depriving citizens of something.
Radical rightist mouthpieces can't be happy unless they can find something that gets their rage outed. If there's nothing outrageous in the news they invent something and say the leftists under their bed whispered it to them in the night.

Back
Top Bottom