• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Berkeley to ban junk food in checkout aisles

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Many Americans can relate to the tempting, passing glances at the colorful assortment of confections while waiting in line at the grocery store. But one city in Northern California is making a move to help people resist the unhealthy urges at checkout in favor of healthier options.

The Berkeley City Council unanimously approved a Healthy Checkout Ordinance at its meeting on Tuesday that will be reviewed next month.

If you have kids, you know what a hassle it is to get to the checkout and have all those sweets and chips within arms reach.

Berkeley is a left wing town. Do you support this kind of regulation?

Sounds kind of like mandated speech. I don't support that. Should we ban tabloids at the checkout too, because they're full of fantastical lies?

I think it is a good move for the same reason it is a good idea to heavily regulate advertising towards children.

Many Americans can relate to the tempting, passing glances at the colorful assortment of confections while waiting in line at the grocery store. But one city in Northern California is making a move to help people resist the unhealthy urges at checkout in favor of healthier options.

The Berkeley City Council unanimously approved a Healthy Checkout Ordinance at its meeting on Tuesday that will be reviewed next month.

If you have kids, you know what a hassle it is to get to the checkout and have all those sweets and chips within arms reach.

When I had kids I never took them into the grocery store but I noticed that the Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms were on shelves four feet high in the cereal aisle.
I think advertising to kids ought to be watched carefully but I don't support this kind of regulation.

Nope, especially since the basis for the law is the (racist?) alleged lack of impulse control by people of color.

No; but I do not rely on the government to be a parent to my children....thats my responsibility.

That being said, the city council was elected by the residents of Berkley, and they deserve what they voted for.

I'm fine with it. It's actually more of a loss for the stores because it will curb the impulse buying or kids throwing tantrums when they aren't allowed their m&ms. If a person wants a candy bar simply walk to where they are and get it. Problem solved.

Democratic politicians voting they will dictate what food you may and may not eat? Sure, that is what the new fascist Democratic Party is all about - total control of ever second of every peasant's life.

As someone who has had an addiction and then broken it, this will not help. You must use a willpower to resist the temptation and this should be something we train our kids. It needs to be sitting right there where you can take it and purchase it if you want because it always is. You can go into the convenience store you can go to a candy store get all the junk food you want. Also there's a lot of junk food and food that's bad for you that's actually marketed as health food.

I think what we should be doing as a society is more along the lines of extoling of virtues of willpower and how everyone is capable of it. And how we need to teach that skill to our children.

Sounds kind of like mandated speech. I don't support that. Should we ban tabloids at the checkout too, because they're full of fantastical lies?
Good point. Why not just ban the sales a junk food completely. It's too much to ask someone to resist it while they're checking out but not when they're walking down the potato chip aisle?

When I had kids I never took them into the grocery store but I noticed that the Cocoa Puffs and Lucky Charms were on shelves four feet high in the cereal aisle.
I think advertising to kids ought to be watched carefully but I don't support this kind of regulation.
All of that shelving is required by food manufacturers and is designed to be eye level to a child sitting in a cart.

I'm fine with it. It's actually more of a loss for the stores because it will curb the impulse buying or kids throwing tantrums when they aren't allowed their m&ms. If a person wants a candy bar simply walk to where they are and get it. Problem solved.
Why should the government be allowed to tell anybody where they can and can't place candy bars for the convenience of their customers? That does not sound like a function the government should be performing.

All of that shelving is required by food manufacturers and is designed to be eye level to a child sitting in a cart.
When people are children that is the absolute best time to learn willpower and moderation. It should be something parents instill in their children.

Look at the reaction to covid-19. I'm willing to bet far more people have died from complications of diabetes and heart disease and high blood pressure then will ever die of covid-19 in the United States. But we're expected to play a part why is that expectation too much to ask when you're in the grocery store with your child? They don't want to wear masks they don't want to wash their hands but we make them do it. Something good that will come from this is there will be a lot more people with better hygiene because the expectation was there. It's not too much to expect people eat junk food in moderation.

Why should the government be allowed to tell anybody where they can and can't place candy bars for the convenience of their customers? That does not sound like a function the government should be performing.
What happens when these people that have grown up in this City walk going to the store outside of it. The behavior to want that stuff is still there. The impulse doesn't go away simply because you couldn't act on it at that particular point in time.

Democratic politicians voting they will dictate what food you may and may not eat? Sure, that is what the new fascist Democratic Party is all about - total control of ever second of every peasant's life.

Heaven forbid a person has to walk to the candy aisle of a store to get candy.

I don't agree with it. I don't need a nanny in the grocery store and if you can't resist it, that's on you.

i don't really care one way or the other. if they want to do that, cool. if another town doesn't want to do it, cool. what i don't support is sin taxes on soda. too regressive.

All the same stuff will STILL BE totally available everywhere else in the supermarket.
Berkely is working on psychological COUNTER-MEASURES.
You do realize that placing all that junk IN the checkout aisle is indeed a psychological measure, yes?
So, this is a counter-measure.

So if you want the junk food, I am sure there will be no shortage of end caps (displays at the end of an aisle, usually cardboard)
and I am sure the aisles themselves will be generously stocked AND MARKED...said marking being a counter-counter-measure.

It is a city ordinance. I think cities are allowed to pass ordinances still, yes?

Then next time let Berkeley vote in the overweight junk food junkies and they can pave the floor with chocolate bars. Stores use marketing gimics all the time to squeeze any extra penny out of consumers that they can and this curbs that power play. I'm not an impulse buyer but I do watch parents having to fight with kids who see the candy so of course they want it.

When I read this yesterday I already knew there would be crying because it's what some people do. Ooooh I have to take 10 extra steps for a snickers!!! Then there are the impulse buyers or parents who say thank you!

Heaven forbid a person can't control themselves.

We already know many can't. That's a given. And if they can't control themselves they'll get their junk food just like always. At the same time it will save impulse buyers and parents $.

All the same stuff will STILL BE totally available everywhere else in the supermarket.
You do realize that placing all that junk IN the checkout aisle is indeed a psychological measure, yes?

So if you want the junk food, I am sure there will be no shortage of end caps (displays at the end of an aisle, usually cardboard)
and I am sure the aisles themselves will be generously stocked AND MARKED...said marking being a counter-counter-measure.

It is a city ordinance. I think cities are allowed to pass ordinances still, yes?

Exactly. It's like stores that completely rearrange their aisles during the year. They don't do that because the products were bored with their location. It's a way to make people who walk a routine in the store suddenly needing to search around and create a new routine which often leads to impulse buying. Some stores even cattleherd people a certain direction upon entry so even if you came in for mayo, you're forced to pass produce, bread and bakery before you can get to that mayo. If a person grabs the impluse stuff on the way then the stores strategy has worked.

I agree with you that it is a psychological measure button then again the entire store is. From the color of the floor, to the layout of the store to the music that they play in the store. I think it's more important to know when you're being manipulated and to be able to resist it so that these measures won't work. Because the second somebody else comes into office they can change it and do right back to where you started. But if you're aware of the game and it doesn't work on you it doesn't matter if you're in a grocery store in Berkeley California or Wisconsin or Bangladesh. You are in control.

I don't think it's wrong for them to try and come up with a counter measure I just think it's not as good as knowing better

Exactly. It's like stores that completely rearrange their aisles during the year. They don't do that because the products were bored with their location. It's a way to make people who walk a routine in the store suddenly needing to search around and create a new routine which often leads to impulse buying. Some stores even cattleherd people a certain direction upon entry so even if you came in for mayo, you're forced to pass produce, bread and bakery before you can get to that mayo. If a person grabs the impluse stuff on the way then the stores strategy has worked.
So isn't it better to have willpower. That way it doesn't matter how they change up the store layout or the strategy you're able to resist.

Back
Top Bottom