• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Berkeley to ban junk food in checkout aisles

I agree with you that it is a psychological measure button then again the entire store is. From the color of the floor, to the layout of the store to the music that they play in the store. I think it's more important to know when you're being manipulated and to be able to resist it so that these measures won't work. Because the second somebody else comes into office they can change it and do right back to where you started. But if you're aware of the game and it doesn't work on you it doesn't matter if you're in a grocery store in Berkeley California or Wisconsin or Bangladesh. You are in control.

I don't think it's wrong for them to try and come up with a counter measure I just think it's not as good as knowing better

Agreed.
I just want to say that for every Berkeley inspired ordinance that folks are objecting to, I can find Trump inspired directives, like his proposed "Patriotic Education" AND his accompanying threats to defund school districts that have the gall to suggest The 1619 Project or anything by Howard Zinn.

Trumpers are not in favor of small government, they're in favor of authoritarian government.
The fact that Berkeley has chosen a slightly authoritarian counter to store "plan-o-grams" * does not change that.

*Yes I am aware of the fact that the entire store is planned out from a psychological perspective.

Reactions: Bum
Democratic politicians voting they will dictate what food you may and may not eat? Sure, that is what the new fascist Democratic Party is all about - total control of ever second of every peasant's life.
What a stupid post. Has absolutely no basis in reality. Completely made-up bullshit.

So isn't it better to have willpower. That way it doesn't matter how they change up the store layout or the strategy you're able to resist.

Of course it's better to have it, but if it were that simple to achieve, tobacco companies would go broke and everyone would be walking around slim and trim. Liquor stores could close. Bakeries would work minimal staff. Especially during the holidays.

It's not like they've outlawed selling 3 musketeers. They're simply moving the items. It's possible many people could benefit with not having it shoved in their faces every time they run to the store for something.

Agreed.
I just want to say that for every Berkeley inspired ordinance that folks are objecting to, I can find Trump inspired directives, like his proposed "Patriotic Education" AND his accompanying threats to defund school districts that have the gall to suggest The 1619 Project or anything by Howard Zinn.

Trumpers are not in favor of small government, they're in favor of authoritarian government.
The fact that Berkeley has chosen a slightly authoritarian counter to store "plan-o-grams" * does not change that.

*Yes I am aware of the fact that the entire store is planned out from a psychological perspective.
Seems these days the term authoritarian is starting to mean people who think differently than me. Which is ironic. that seems to be what racist means what xenophobic means and all these other words that people use to try and discourage people they disagree with.

I would have a little more respect for it if it wasn't just an attempt to keep people in line.

I agree with you that it is a psychological measure button then again the entire store is. From the color of the floor, to the layout of the store to the music that they play in the store. I think it's more important to know when you're being manipulated and to be able to resist it so that these measures won't work. Because the second somebody else comes into office they can change it and do right back to where you started. But if you're aware of the game and it doesn't work on you it doesn't matter if you're in a grocery store in Berkeley California or Wisconsin or Bangladesh. You are in control.

I don't think it's wrong for them to try and come up with a counter measure I just think it's not as good as knowing better

Speaking of music. There use to be a discount store I'd shop at occasionally. You'd see people just meandering around rocking to the music and I'd find myself not so much buying a cartload, but yes occasionally I'd get an extra item. They tore that mall down and eventually I moved and found the same store. However the music sucked so I'd get what I went for and leave. I guess they didn't get the memo. 🎶

Many Americans can relate to the tempting, passing glances at the colorful assortment of confections while waiting in line at the grocery store. But one city in Northern California is making a move to help people resist the unhealthy urges at checkout in favor of healthier options.

The Berkeley City Council unanimously approved a Healthy Checkout Ordinance at its meeting on Tuesday that will be reviewed next month.

If you have kids, you know what a hassle it is to get to the checkout and have all those sweets and chips within arms reach.

Berkeley is a left wing town. Do you support this kind of regulation?

Being a good parent means telling your child no when necessary. Stupid legislation.

Seems these days the term authoritarian is starting to mean people who think differently than me. Which is ironic. that seems to be what racist means what xenophobic means and all these other words that people use to try and discourage people they disagree with.

I would have a little more respect for it if it wasn't just an attempt to keep people in line.

Whatever

Sounds kind of like mandated speech. I don't support that. Should we ban tabloids at the checkout too, because they're full of fantastical lies?

leave the food, ban the lies... this should apply to our Chief Executive.

Being a good parent means telling your child no when necessary. Stupid legislation.
Considering how fat Americans have become, I disagree. We should ban that crappy food altogether. Clearly people lack self-control and need a nanny state to keep them from eating themselves to death.

Of course it's better to have it, but if it were that simple to achieve, tobacco companies would go broke and everyone would be walking around slim and trim. Liquor stores could close. Bakeries would work minimal staff. Especially during the holidays.
it is profoundly simple it is more simple than continuing whatever haven't you have. It just isn't easy.

I quit smoking 10 years ago that was the simplest thing I've ever done I just didn't smoke any more cigarettes it was more simple than continuing to smoke cigarettes. It wasn't easy things in life were worth doing rarely are.
It's not like they've outlawed selling 3 musketeers. They're simply moving the items. It's possible many people could benefit with not having it shoved in their faces every time they run to the store for something.
I'm still not sure of how picking one up from 5 ft away is going to be different than picking it up from 6 in away.
If you can't exercise willpower when the opportunity is right under your nose then you never will. It is extremely simple resist the more you do it the easier it is.

Willpower can't be fabricated out of the lack of temptation, or lesser temptation.

Speaking of music. There use to be a discount store I'd shop at occasionally. You'd see people just meandering around rocking to the music and I'd find myself not so much buying a cartload, but yes occasionally I'd get an extra item. They tore that mall down and eventually I moved and found the same store. However the music sucked so I'd get what I went for and leave. I guess they didn't get the memo. 🎶
I guess before you moved and it was the store's fault you couldn't control yourself

Leftist filth are never happy unless they are depriving citizens of something.
Rightiest Filth never understands an argument. No one is depriving anyone of anything..

Whatever indeed everyone that disagrees with you is an authoritarian want to raise this door not yours is xenophobic or fascist or whatever.

This lack of will too stand up for your beliefs is something I blame on the public see the school system.

Considering how fat Americans have become, I disagree. We should ban that crappy food altogether. Clearly people lack self-control and need a nanny state to keep them from eating themselves to death.
That would be true in a country that didn't value freedom, but freedom also means the freedom to make bad choices, and having to live with the consequences of those choices.

Whatever indeed everyone that disagrees with you is an authoritarian want to raise this door not yours is xenophobic or fascist or whatever.

This lack of will too stand up for your beliefs is something I blame on the public see the school system.

No, I've just tired of the hair-splitting.
If you think my idea of authoritarianism is "anyone who disagrees with ME", that reveals your lazy thinking, as I am confident that my posting history on the subject renders your lazy opinion nonsensical and I don't intend to get into an equally nonsensical debate about that with you.

This is the modern era. All of everyone's problems are somebody else's fault. If I pork down fattening cheeseburgers to the point I have a heart attack at 18 it's the people selling the cheeseburger that are at fault not me I couldn't control myself.

Once upon a Time in the United States we defined ourselves by our achievements. Are you thinking the next couple of years people are going to Define themselves by whatever mental disability they report to have.

it's easier to say you can't help yourself than it is to help yourself. And as we all know everything worth doing should be easy.

Somewhere on “K” street in DC, someone disagrees.........

IMO, this happens before a child is ever exposed to the school system............school aren’t daycare.

No, I've just tired of the hair-splitting.
If you think my idea of authoritarianism is "anyone who disagrees with ME", that reveals your lazy thinking, as I am confident that my posting history on the subject renders your lazy opinion nonsensical and I don't intend to get into an equally nonsensical debate about that with you.
Then don't talk to me. I don't agree with you about some things if you can't handle that then don't talk to me. I stand by my views. If you think I'm lazy because you fail at convincing me that my views are wrong then maybe you should run away to some safe space and hug a teddy bear.

You're not going to convince me that my opinion is lazy because you can't argue against it and therefore pretend to refuse.

IMO, this happens before a child is ever exposed to the school system............school aren’t daycare.
Children are being raised by people who went to the public school system. I would same schools should stick to teaching math science history in Reading. they're not very good at that right now so the social engineering should probably wait until they get their fundamental purpose down.

That would be true in a country that didn't value freedom, but freedom also means the freedom to make bad choices, and having to live with the consequences of those choices.
Part of my remark was tongue in cheek, obviously. However, I see no problem with a state regulating the practice of placing impulse buy items in front of the noses of people with no self-control.

Many Americans can relate to the tempting, passing glances at the colorful assortment of confections while waiting in line at the grocery store. But one city in Northern California is making a move to help people resist the unhealthy urges at checkout in favor of healthier options.

The Berkeley City Council unanimously approved a Healthy Checkout Ordinance at its meeting on Tuesday that will be reviewed next month.

If you have kids, you know what a hassle it is to get to the checkout and have all those sweets and chips within arms reach.

Berkeley is a left wing town. Do you support this kind of regulation?

No, it’s an unnecessary intrusion by government. If stores want to do such things on their own, that’s fine, but government should keep out of it.

I guess before you moved and it was the store's fault you couldn't control yourself

I was responding to how stores can manipulate people. Some set up taste test areas. Others have the bakery area up front so you catch a whiff when you walk in. This store just happened to have great music that got me to linger and on occasion grab something I hadn't planned on. I still shop the same store chain but the music sucks. I also don't grab handfuls of candy bars because they're at the checkout but some people do.

Back
Top Bottom