• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ben Carson could see his name removed from Detroit high school, reports say

American

Trump Grump Whisperer
DP Veteran
Monthly Donator
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/be...-removed-from-detroit-high-school-reports-say

The name of Housing and Urban Development Secretary Ben Carson could be removed from a high school in his hometown of Detroit now that a state-appointed emergency manager no longer oversees the city’s Board of Education, according to reports.

The board voted 6-1 Tuesday to begin soliciting public opinion on whether the name of the Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine – as well as some other schools in the district – should be changed.

Other schools that could see a name change include the Harms Elementary School, Frederick Douglass Academy for Young Men and Detroit School of the Arts, the Free Press reported.

The bolded name caught my attention in particular. I wonder why they want to change that name.

From a local Detroit newspaper:

The Detroit school board voted Tuesday to begin the process for renaming several buildings in the district, including the Benjamin Carson High School of Science and Medicine.

Under the measure, the board can opt to change a school’s name to honor “individuals who have made a significant contribution to the enhancement of education,” according to the district. The board also can select another name under circumstances that include when a building is newly built or redesigned, where the name no longer reflects the current student population or “the community of the geographic area where the school is located requests a name change that more closely aligns with the history of the locality, or information newly discovered about the current name of the school is negative in nature.”

Residents “don’t support the (Trump) administration,” he said.

The board’s 6-1 vote does not mean the name changes happen.

The district is slated to hold community meetings and complete surveys for each school site to gauge interest in the switch and select possible new names. The superintendent will report the results and make a final recommendation to the board.

That likely won’t happen before the next academic school year, Lemmons said.

“We don’t want to be premature," he said. "The community will have input and influence the process.”​

Maybe the school names will change; maybe they won't. It seems too early to be concerned about it, even for Detroiters....

Good to see the Detroit School Board focusing on the important issues.

Big tent party or tolerance trying to shame someone they don't like, nothing new really.

Maybe it's time conservatives started to vote to revoke liberal icons honors

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I467 using Tapatalk

Yeah let's remove the name of a really decent man. A black man who through education pulled himself up from poverty. A man that became a famous life saving pediatric neurosurgeon. Because Detroit schools are doing such a wonderful job educating kids and don't need role models. Let's spend thousand's of dollars because Detroit has money to burn and because Ben Carson is an evil person. :roll:

Yeah let's remove the name of a really decent man. A black man who through education pulled himself up from poverty. A man that became a famous life saving pediatric neurosurgeon. Because Detroit schools are doing such a wonderful job educating kids and don't need role models. Let's spend thousand's of dollars because Detroit has money to burn and because Ben Carson is an evil person. :roll:

Well, he IS Republican, so he is probably a racist.

I met him a couple of times LONG before I knew his politics. He is an extremely nice an impressive man.

He seems like a super nice and humble person. I actually voted for him in the primary in Ohio. He had already dropped out, too.

Good to see the Detroit School Board focusing on the important issues.

I agree. The School board should be erecting confederate monuments instead. Ben Carson would really like that.

They should change it to the:

Louis Farrakhan school of Religious diversity and Inclusion.
OR
Frank Lucas school of recreational pharmaceutical distribution management.

Next they’ll want to topple Robert Small’s statue in Port Royal, SC

Schools changing names is a norm, especially when they honor local people.

They renamed a local elementary after my old elementary principle about 10 years after I graduated high school.
After about 20 years they decided to rename it, this time after another well known local person.

Dumber than Trump and that is saying something!

Lol@conservatives crying about renaming a school Frederick Douglass. Trump just said the man was doing a fantastic job. The man is getting recognition more and more every day, he said.

I'd say one day he might even be an important figure in American history that'll be remembered long after Dr. Carson's legacy is forever tied to the trainwreck that is the Trump administration.

Sent from Trump Plaza's basement using Putin's MacBook.

Back
Top Bottom