• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ben Afflect Cast as new Batman

Gathomas88

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Entertainment Weekly - Ben Affleck is the new Batman

Ben Affleck is the new Batman
By Lindsey Bahr on Aug 22, 2013 at 9:39PM

Oscar-winning director Ben Affleck is set to star as Batman in Warner Bros. Man of Steel sequel, the studio announced Thursday.

Zack Snyder will be returning to direct Affleck and Henry Cavill in the still-untitled film, which will be the first time Batman and Superman have shared the big screen. The press release announcing the news says that Affleck’s Batman will be “an entirely new incarnation of the character.” Amy Adams, Laurence Fishburne and Diane Lane will be returning to reprise their roles in the film as well, which is slated to open worldwide on July 17, 2015.

Snyder, whose Man of Steel has grossed over $649 million worldwide, said in the release: “Ben provides an interesting counter-balance to Henry’s Superman. He has the acting chops to create a layered portrayal of a man who is older and wiser than Clark Kent and bears the scars of a seasoned crime fighter, but retain the charm that the world sees in billionaire Bruce Wayne. I can’t wait to work with him.”

“We knew we needed an extraordinary actor to take on one of DC Comics’ most enduringly popular Super Heroes, and Ben Affleck certainly fits that bill, and then some. His outstanding career is a testament to his talent and we know he and Zack will bring new dimension to the duality of this character,” Warner Bros. exec Greg Silverman said in the announcement.

Man of Steel and Batman Begins scribe David Goyer is working on the script for a shoot that’s anticipated to begin sometime in 2014.

Affleck is no stranger to superhero roles for better or worse. His turn as the titular character in Daredevil was a box office and critical disappointment; he fared better in the reviews as Superman actor George Reeves in the 2006 film Hollywoodland.

Sooo... It appears that DC is pretty much set on utterly raping the corpse of Nolan's film trilogy. Awesome...

We're going from Christian Bale...

christian-bale-dark-knight-batman-2013.jpeg

To this f*cking guy...

mallrats-kevin-smith.jpg

...in less than three years.

Are they high????? wtf.gif

Ben Affleck doesn't have anywhere near the personality required for the role and his professional reputation, screen presence, and intensity can't even begin to hold a candle to Bale's.

Hell! He doesn't even have the voice or jawline necessary to pull off the costume!

If they plan on following this up with an announcement pegging Matt Damon as the next Robin, I'm sorry, but I think I just might have to call it quits.

a9578399_Businessman_Holding_Gun_To_His_Head_While  _Smiling_MON098144.jpeg

Last edited:
Could be fine, but I am seriously doubting it. I can't help but think of this all the time.

Could be fine, but I am seriously doubting it. I can't help but think of this all the time.

I'm honestly still kind of hoping that the whole thing turns out to be an elaborate prank (or, at the very least, that the sheer intensity of the outrage this announcement is sure to cause will force the studio to rethink its decision).

Sooo... It appears that DC is pretty much set on utterly raping the corpse of Nolan's film trilogy. Awesome...

To this f*cking guy...

mallrats-kevin-smith.jpg

Are they high????? View attachment 67152493

Ben Affleck doesn't have anywhere near the personality required for the role and his professional reputation, screen presence, and intensity can't even begin to hold a candle to Bale's.

Hell! He doesn't even have the voice or jawline necessary to pull off the costume!

If they plan on following this up with an announcement pegging Matt Damon as the next Robin, I'm sorry, but I think I might just call it quits.

but at least we'll be able to understand him ...

but at least we'll be able to understand him ...

We could understand Clooney. I wouldn't really say that it was a mark in that particular movie's favor.

It's also possible that he might try to do his own version of the voice. :shock:

Ben bat: "LET ME TERR YEW SOMERING, JOKERR... WHEN I HAF A VIRRIAN WHERE I WANT THREM... I LIKE TO OOSE THE OPPURTURITY TO SCREW THEM SOMPRACE... ESTREMREY UNCOMFORABLE..."

Joker: "Like the back of a Volkswagon, batman?"

Ben bat: "NO!"

:lamo

Last edited:

To this f*cking guy...

mallrats-kevin-smith.jpg

If they plan on following this up with an announcement pegging Matt Damon as the next Robin, I'm sorry, but I think I just might have to call it quits.

-------------------------------------

Stop panicking, man!!
Bale was great, no doubt, but I thought Keaton was good, too.
Point is, the character may make the actor, not vice-versa.
Plus, since it's a Superman flick, maybe Bman will have a smaller role.
Maybe Bale didn't want the job?

We could understand Clooney. I wouldn't really say that it was a mark in that particular movie's favor.

It's also possible that he might try to do his own version of the voice. :shock:

Ben bat: "LET ME TERR YEW SOMERING, JOKERR... WHEN I HAF A VIRRIAN WHERE I WANT THREM... I LIKE TO OOSE THE OPPURTURITY TO SCREW THEM SOMPRACE... ESTREMREY UNCOMFORABLE..."

Joker: "Like the back of a Volkswagon, batman?"

Ben bat: "NO!"

:lamo

While your obsession with these movies is a bit alarming... I find Affleck as Batman even more alarming. He will be using a South Boston accent, obviously, since that is the only accent he can act in.

While your obsession with these movies is a bit alarming... I find Affleck as Batman even more alarming. He will be using a South Boston accent, obviously, since that is the only accent he can act in.

I wouldn't consider it to be "obsession" so much as irritation that clueless executives are effectively going out their way to ruin something I enjoy.

If your favorite restaurant were to decide that it wanted to start soaking everything on its menu in vinegar and cotton candy all of the sudden, would you not be at least a little bit angry?

Eh, he's not the most terrible choice. I can see him playing a decent Bruce. Give him a decent script and i think Affleck can pull this off.

To this f*cking guy...

Well here are all the men who've previously played "Batman": :fyi:

batmanactors-1654x2339.png

I guess Ben Afleck could play the role, although I'd prefer someone a little more "dark and intimidating" for the "Dark Knight" myself. :shrug:

I find Affleck as Batman even more alarming. He will be using a South Boston accent, obviously, since that is the only accent he can act in.
It couldn't be any worse than Bane’s voice in Dark Knight Rises tho Bodhi. Was overdone and some parts were difficult to understand first time around.

After stunningly bad choices for Batman, to the point of killing the movie series for the fans, they finally got something right with Bale. He is the defining movie Batman. To follow him up with Affleck reverses any previous repair and makes DC look like they're once again trying to actively kill the Batman, make him the butt of jokes everywhere. DC characters are silly enough as it is, almost born for parody, adding Affleck to the pile just dooms them in my view.

Oh well, at least Marvel knows how to do it. Better characters anyway.

batman-credit-card1.jpg

So long as there's none of this, fine I'm cool with it.

Personally I think every single batman movie mad has been a big pile of stinking c*** So I could care less who they pick I'm sure it will be just as dumb as every other Batman flick

Yep....there goes the Batman franchise...

Personally I think every single batman movie mad has been a big pile of stinking c*** So I could care less who they pick I'm sure it will be just as dumb as every other Batman flick
I thought Michael Keaton actually did a good job with Batman the first (the sets were overly cartoony, but blame that on Tim Burton). The sequel absolutely blew dog. Bales has done a decent job but damn he's lithpy!!!

I think there will be a Robin movie shortly.

I thought Michael Keaton actually did a good job with Batman the first (the sets were overly cartoony, but blame that on Tim Burton). The sequel absolutely blew dog. Bales has done a decent job but damn he's lithpy!!!

Pesronal preference I thought the all stunk to high heaven. To each his own

To this f*cking guy...

mallrats-kevin-smith.jpg

They laid the groundwork for Joseph Gordon-Levitt to play Robin. We'll see how that gos, if it goes.

:shock:

1529w.jpg

:2razz:

Must be personal preference because I thought Keaton was the worst of all Batman choices. Maybe he'd have been good for midget Batman, but he's never had the acting chops to play the role seriously.

Robin is a hopelessly degraded DC character that is the butt of so many jokes generation after generation. IMO a Robin movie is a bad, bad idea.

Last edited:
Must be personal preference because I thought Keaton was the worst of all Batman choices. Maybe he'd have been good for midget Batman, but he's never had the acting chops to play the role seriously.

Robin is a hopelessly degraded DC character that is the butt of some many jokes generation after generation. INO a Robin movie is a bad, bad idea.
Personal choice then. I thought he played Bruce Wayne perfectly. The Batman character persona wasnt overdone.

I think if they carry on with the storyline from the last Batman movie, they could actually have a decent Robin flick. But I agree the character treatment has been pisspoor so far.

Jeez, I feel bad for Affleck this morning. Such an onslaught of negativity, warranted or not, would make performing any job well virtually impossible.

I think this film is doomed more by the idea of Superman v. Batman itself than it is by who is playing the superheroes.

Back
Top Bottom