• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Ben Afflect Cast as new Batman

Jeez, I feel bad for Affleck this morning. Such an onslaught of negativity, warranted or not, would make performing any job well virtually impossible.

I think this film is doomed more by the idea of Superman v. Batman itself than it is by who is playing the superheroes.

Don't get me started on the Superman movies! if anything can make a Batman movie look good its comparing it to a Superman movie.
Sad fact is that while Marvel has done a generally excellent job with it's comic book franchises DC has gone from bad to worse with every film. They need some major miracle to get them back on track I don't see that coming

Jeez, I feel bad for Affleck this morning. Such an onslaught of negativity, warranted or not, would make performing any job well virtually impossible.

I think this film is doomed more by the idea of Superman v. Batman itself than it is by who is playing the superheroes.

No, not even close. First, Affleck has had a bad name in movies for quite some time now and his name is a running joke among the fans. Second, some folks liked this new Superman and the majority out there think Bale restored the Batman franchise. Superman v Batman has been a long debated subject among fans and featured several times in the comics - there is always interest in seeing who wins that one.

Adam West, Michael Keaton, George Clooney, Val Kilmer.

Hollywood has not been kind to Batman.

Suck it up and move on or give the next guy a chance.

By the way, wasn't there a bunch of bitching and moaning when Ledger was cast as the Joker?

How many of those people were proven to be idiots?

By the way, wasn't there a bunch of bitching and moaning when Ledger was cast as the Joker?

Two different things....

Ledger was selected by Nolan, who had a history between his other films and Begin's of having good taste in actors filling particular roles, and was a relative unknown in terms of "mainstream". His one "BIG" movie was Brokeback Mountain that, while getting mainstream attention was still viewed largely as an arthouse type film. Additionally, Ledger had demonstrated ability to play in a variety of roles...it just happened to be that at that point, based on his last movie, he was open to lots of ridicule.

Ben Affleck is a huge name that's long been established in the general pop culture public and has basically been playing "Ben Affleck" in many movies. Unlikely Ledger, Affleck has been a part of a number of grade A BOMBS with things like Gigli, Jersey Girl, and even another super hero flick in Daredevil. Finally, he's not having Nolan directing him or selecting him but Zack Snyder, who is hardly someone renown at getting the most out of the actor's he's working with.

Two different things....

Ledger was selected by Nolan, who had a history between his other films and Begin's of having good taste in actors filling particular roles, and was a relative unknown in terms of "mainstream". His one "BIG" movie was Brokeback Mountain that, while getting mainstream attention was still viewed largely as an arthouse type film. Additionally, Ledger had demonstrated ability to play in a variety of roles...it just happened to be that at that point, based on his last movie, he was open to lots of ridicule.

Ben Affleck is a huge name that's long been established in the general pop culture public and has basically been playing "Ben Affleck" in many movies. Unlikely Ledger, Affleck has been a part of a number of grade A BOMBS with things like Gigli, Jersey Girl, and even another super hero flick in Daredevil. Finally, he's not having Nolan directing him or selecting him but Zack Snyder, who is hardly someone renown at getting the most out of the actor's he's working with.

Well, either Batman will get the same quality of acting he's been getting, or everybody's throwing a fit prematurely and Affleck will exceed expectations. Either way, the pissing and moaning is meaningless.

Tessaesque put it perfectly on page one - "Dare Devil."

That's all the proof you need right there of the kind of job Affleck is capable of.

Didn't Affleck already play a super hero of some kind?

Why would they mix the two now?

Didn't Affleck already play a super hero of some kind?

Why would they mix the two now?

Because his first performance as a superhero was so forgettable that everyone has forgotten it

Meh, Chris Evans was in a terrible Fantastic Four movie before playing a good Captain America.

And I'm disheartened by the lack of love for Keaton. Best Batman, not a great Bruce Wayne - the inverse of "I even talk to myself gravelly" Bale.

-- And I'm disheartened by the lack of love for Keaton. --

No no, I thought Keaton was great, it's just a shame that people sneer at the sets and the turnaround of the Batman character (courtesy Frank Miller) from the depths that Adam West's portrayal plumbed. Also, maybe people put Keaton together with clooney and kilmer as they were part of the same franchise sequence.

My personal favourite is Bale though, he made Batman much more gritty, threatening and dark - perfect for a non-superpower human who stalked seedy dark alleyways. All the others worked a gotham city with much more polished, affluent streets.

No no, I thought Keaton was great, it's just a shame that people sneer at the sets and the turnaround of the Batman character (courtesy Frank Miller) from the depths that Adam West's portrayal plumbed. Also, maybe people put Keaton together with clooney and kilmer as they were part of the same franchise sequence.

My personal favourite is Bale though, he made Batman much more gritty, threatening and dark - perfect for a non-superpower human who stalked seedy dark alleyways. All the others worked a gotham city with much more polished, affluent streets.

I loved Burton Gotham, it was Gothic dark. It didn't get affluent until Schumacher took over to woo the kiddies. Nolans Gotham had the shanty town thing in the first but eventually it just became mundane Chicago/New York cityscapes in the later two movies.

Back
Top Bottom