• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Bellevue Kicks Gay Coach Out of League

Renae

Banned
Suspended
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Conservative
Gay Softball Coach Kicked Out of League | My Fox Memphis | Fox 13 News

MEMPHIS, Tenn. - A Mid-South women's softball coach and her team get banned from a church league, after members learned she was gay.

Jana Jacobson said officials at Bellevue Baptist Church told her the team couldn't play in their league because she was a lesbian.

Jacobson said she had already registered and paid the entry fee, when she was told she couldn't play.

She said her team was made up of gay and straight players. Bellevue Baptist didn't comment on the incident.

Stupid woman. A "Gay and Straight" team trying to play in a Church League in Tenn. Gee, could anyone imagine this being a problem?

Seriously, this is just stupid, this was a set up, they knew they'd be booted, and now they are victims. Stupid Stupid people. It's a PRIVATE LEAGUE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO EXPECT THEM TO ACCEPT YOU.

Period. End of Story.

Stupid woman. A "Gay and Straight" team trying to play in a Church League in Tenn. Gee, could anyone imagine this being a problem?

Seriously, this is just stupid, this was a set up, they knew they'd be booted, and now they are victims. Stupid Stupid people. It's a PRIVATE LEAGUE YOU HAVE NO RIGHT TO EXPECT THEM TO ACCEPT YOU.

Period. End of Story.

So long as they got their fee paid back, anyway.

So long as they got their fee paid back, anyway.

They should at least get that back sans any admin fee (the usual filing fee for paperwork).

I would be curious to see the league rules. I'd also be interested in reading more about this. It may have been a set up, but it may not have been.

did the league rules specifically state that homosexuals could not be affiliated with any team playing in the league?
if not, how would this person have known she was not welcome to participate in the league?

did the league rules specifically state that homosexuals could not be affiliated with any team playing in the league?
if not, how would this person have known she was not welcome to participate in the league?

It sounds like MrViccio thinks that all religious people are bigoted towards gay people.

Thankfully not all religious people are. Some of them may have even read the bible and realize that Jesus won't throw them in hell simply for playing softball with Teh Gayz.

They should at least get that back sans any admin fee (the usual filing fee for paperwork).

They paid money (which the church league gladly accepted) for goods and services. They never got any services. Why should they pay for paperwork on something that they never got in the first place?

If I order something online, pay my bill, then they tell me that they're out of stock, but they're giving me half my money back cause they spent half of it on processing fee and to pay the worker that went to go get the product only to find that they were out of it, would you think that is right?

Just curious.

I don't get why they booted the team simply because she was a lesbian.

Would they boot a team if they had learned the coach of the team was an adulterer or did not honor his mother and father?

I honestly don't see why that would matter. I thought the rule was "hate the sin, love the sinner".

I would be curious to see the league rules. I'd also be interested in reading more about this. It may have been a set up, but it may not have been.

What would the League rules matter? No offense, but a Church Softball League and a Gay Softball team... in the South. That's just ASKING for drama, and they knew it.

What would the League rules matter? No offense, but a Church Softball League and a Gay Softball team... in the South. That's just ASKING for drama, and they knew it.

The team was made up of both gay and strait players. What percentage of the team had to be gay for it to be considered a "gay softball team"? Law of averages says most softball teams have at least 1 gay on them.

It sounds like MrViccio thinks that all religious people are bigoted towards gay people.
Yes, that's exactly what I said :roll:

Actually YOU sound Bigoted towards Mr.Vicchio (There is an H in my name, cut and past son.)

Thankfully not all religious people are. Some of them may have even read the bible and realize that Jesus won't throw them in hell simply for playing softball with Teh Gayz.

And some people realize that a Church Softball league is probably promoting the Values of the Church, and as they stated:

According to Jacobson, Scotty Shows, the church's recreation minister told her that because she was a lesbian the team could not play. She was told that the team's participation would send a message to Bellevue members that the church condoned her lifestyle, the Commercial Appeal newspaper reported.
FOXNews.com - Tennessee Church Kicks Gay Softball Coach Out of League

And SOME people remember the US Constitution allows them to do this, and it has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

And SOME people remember the US Constitution allows them to do this, and it has been upheld by the Supreme Court.

They definitely have a right to do it, I'm just not really sure about why they thought it was necessary to do so.

Do they pour over everyone's lifestyle in order to make sure they don't condone them by letting them play a game?

Gee Tucker, you tell me.

So are you saying this is going to be the universal way things are viewed in the South? (serious question, I'm not from the South. I get the feeling that most southerners I've met would do the "hate the sin, love the sinner" thing, though. I could be totally wrong in that)

Last edited:

I'm with you. The gay might rub off on some of their kids. I can understand why they wouldn't want them in the league, lol

I wonder if any of those church people wear WWJD bracelets... I find alittle humor in thinking that thy asked that question to themselves and came to the conclusion "kick em out".

They definitely have a right to do it, I'm just not really sure about why they thought it was necessary to do so.

Do they pour over everyone's lifestyle in order to make sure they don't condone them by letting them play a game?

No Tucker, they just picked on this woman cause they are backward bigoted religious haters that don't want gay cooties. If all you are going to do is troll with "but why" questions, I'll just ignore you.

Have you considered that MAYBE, just MAYBE this team was promoting the fact there were Gays on the Team? Hmm, do you think that's why it's mentioned in the first article? NAh, that couldn't be it at all. It has to be teh dumb hater religious folks.

IF you people can't get that the Church didn't want ot be seen as promoting a Sinful lifestyle, and they have the right to not associate with them... I can't help you.

Have you considered that MAYBE, just MAYBE this team was promoting the fact there were Gays on the Team? Hmm, do you think that's why it's mentioned in the first article? NAh, that couldn't be it at all. It has to be teh dumb hater religious folks.

I didn't see that in the first article at all. I saw:

after members learned she was gay.

Doesn't sound like it was being flaunted according to that wording.

Yes, that's exactly what I said :roll:

Actually YOU sound Bigoted towards Mr.Vicchio (There is an H in my name, cut and past son.)

And some people realize that a Church Softball league is probably promoting the Values of the Church, and as they stated:

FOXNews.com - Tennessee Church Kicks Gay Softball Coach Out of League

I understand they have the right to do it. I never argued that fact. It also doesn't make what they did any less dumb.

What I found funny was that you put:
Seriously, this is just stupid, this was a set up, they knew they'd be booted, and now they are victims. Stupid Stupid people.

You automatically assumed that ALL church groups wouldn't allow a team consisting of some gay and straight kids. I think it's important to point out that not all churches and religious people are that bigoted.

IF you people can't get that the Church didn't want ot be seen as promoting a Sinful lifestyle, and they have the right to not associate with them... I can't help you.

Can you show me a single post in this thread where anyone said that they don't have the right to do this? Just one.
That's right, no one's making that argument.

No Tucker, they just picked on this woman cause they are backward bigoted religious haters that don't want gay cooties. If all you are going to do is troll with "but why" questions, I'll just ignore you.
That is NOT trolling. Just because it makes you feel foolish doesn't mean that it is trolling.

Or maybe it was a woman who wanted to form a team and join a league, and she read the rules of this league, knew she wasn't breaking any of their rules, and joined with her team. Then, like everyone does at appropriate times, she talked casually about the most significant person in her life, which happens to be a woman. Word got out... and so forth.

It sounds like you think that the Church SHOULD kick the team off the league, and that she should have known that they would. Why should she assume this? Does the Bible talk about greedy people, at all? Maybe nobody who is rich should be allowed to play, and they should withdraw right now before they are kicked off. You act as though the Bible depicts sexual sin as if it is the worst possible type of sin, but it doesn't. Our American culture is so fascinated and repulsed by sexuality that we have elevated sexual sins above practically all others, and homosexuality at the top of that heap. But that is not a biblical view. The Bible condemns other sins far more often and with much greater force. Maybe this lady simply thought they took a biblical view, and that they would tolerate her.

So, do you think that the church should exclude all sinners, or just certain ones? What is your basis for whatever view you promote? Specifically, are there biblical references that state that you should not socialize with sinners? Are there biblical verses that state that you should avoid appearing to condone sin?

Can you show me a single post in this thread where anyone said that they don't have the right to do this? Just one.
That's right, no one's making that argument.

Nah, ya'll are just questioning the Church's actions for fun right? :roll:

That is NOT trolling. Just because it makes you feel foolish doesn't mean that it is trolling.

Or maybe it was a woman who wanted to form a team and join a league, and she read the rules of this league, knew she wasn't breaking any of their rules, and joined with her team. Then, like everyone does at appropriate times, she talked casually about the most significant person in her life, which happens to be a woman. Word got out... and so forth.

It sounds like you think that the Church SHOULD kick the team off the league, and that she should have known that they would. Why should she assume this? Does the Bible talk about greedy people, at all? Maybe nobody who is rich should be allowed to play, and they should withdraw right now before they are kicked off. You act as though the Bible depicts sexual sin as if it is the worst possible type of sin, but it doesn't. Our American culture is so fascinated and repulsed by sexuality that we have elevated sexual sins above practically all others, and homosexuality at the top of that heap. But that is not a biblical view. The Bible condemns other sins far more often and with much greater force. Maybe this lady simply thought they took a biblical view, and that they would tolerate her.

So, do you think that the church should exclude all sinners, or just certain ones? What is your basis for whatever view you promote? Specifically, are there biblical references that state that you should not socialize with sinners? Are there biblical verses that state that you should avoid appearing to condone sin?

I think you are forcing your morality on this situation, and it's rather hate filled at that. You think this lady "casually" mentioned her Lesbianism. No, I think this team, and the article seems to back it, was an openly gay/straight team, and when the Church learned of it, told em "Sorry, but no".

That seems to be far too much for many people here to comprehend.

Nah, ya'll are just questioning the Church's actions for fun right? :roll:

I'm just guessing that you're saying that because you realized that no one is arguing against their legal right to kick them out of the league and you just didn't want to admit it. I can't speak for everyone else but I'm questioning the church cause it doesn't seem like the truly Christian thing to do in my humble non-Christian opinion.

I'm also questioning why you choose to stereotype all church groups in the south as though absolutely none of them might actually dare come in contact with a lesbian.

[sarcasm] Why are you attacking my right to point out the hypocrisy of a church group? [/sarcasm]

I think you are forcing your morality on this situation, and it's rather hate filled at that. You think this lady "casually" mentioned her Lesbianism. No, I think this team, and the article seems to back it, was an openly gay/straight team, and when the Church learned of it, told em "Sorry, but no".

This article seems to back that? The article is tiny and makes no mention of whether the team was openly gay. Car to show me specifically where this article mentions exactly how openly gay the team was? Where did the article say that she didn't casually say she was a lesbian? It seems as though you just want to automatically assume the coach is in the wrong and the league is in the right, regardless of any evidence.

Back
Top Bottom