• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Believing Because of Rather Than In Spite of the Evidence...

Daisy

"Make sure of the more important things."
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Interesting to see him talk about how he felt towards God before becoming a believer...

J. Warner Wallace, author of Cold-Case Christianity, provides a detective's perspective related to the New Testament and the Christian Life as he talks with Rob Melnichuk of "It's Your Call"

Interesting to see him talk about how he felt towards God before becoming a believer...

I am beginning to really hate Christians.

Rather than what?

As much as you hate God?

From what I've read he doesn't believe in god. How can someone hate something that they believe only exists in their imagination? That's like someone telling you you hate Abominable Snowmen.

According to the quote from the interviewer, it sounds like this guy believes the gospels are accurate eye-witness accounts. That would certainly put him at odds with the current understanding of the bible and it's authors.

He states that he "had a certain dislike of god". So he was a believer.

He claims to be a "skeptical detective", yet he proves by the quote from his book, where he states he believes the gospels are accurate eye-witness accounts, that he is most certainly not.

He believes what he believes because he wants to believe. Which is fine, but from what he said it had nothing to do with evidence, other than his own personal experiences.

Last edited:
From what I've read he doesn't believe in god. How can someone hate something that they believe only exists in their imagination? That's like someone telling you you hate Abominable Snowmen.

I don't hate any god. It's like saying that I hate a character from Lord Of The Rings.

According to the quote from the interviewer, it sounds like this guy believes the gospels are accurate eye-witness accounts. That would certainly put him at odds with the current understanding of the bible and it's authors.

He states that he "had a certain dislike of god". So he was a believer.

He claims to be a "skeptical detective", yet he proves by the quote from his book, where he states he believes the gospels are accurate eye-witness accounts, that he is most certainly not.

He believes what he believes because he wants to believe. Which is fine, but from what he said it had nothing to do with evidence, other than his own personal experiences.

Couldn't put it better myself.

I see comments from atheists here often concerning God, sounds conspicuously like full-blown hatred, so that "dislike of god because he is a believer" don't float...:roll:

I see comments from atheists here often concerning God, sounds conspicuously like full-blown hatred, so that "dislike of god because he is a believer" don't float...:roll:

You're mistaking lack of care for hatred.

Hmmm, I remember you said you've never read any fiction, so this might be hard for you to understand.

Let me try this tact: At some point in your life you must have watched a cartoon, so let's go with that. Think about how silly it would be to hate a cartoon character. Yet that's what you're accusing atheists of, hating a cartoon character.

Surely you can understand how nonsensical that accusation is?

Also, I note you don't address the three issues I brought up, including the fact that his thoughts regarding the authors and dates of the gospels disagree with virtually all current historians.

Last edited:
You're mistaking lack of care for hatred.

Coulda fooled me...for people who do not care, they sure talk about God a whole lot...

Nice videos about how I feel about religion. It’s certainly not with hate, but with understanding and appreciation, and some puzzlement about how to go forward. It’s a brave new world. Going to back to religion is certainly not an option for most rational, educated people today.

Last edited:
Coulda fooled me...for people who do not care, they sure talk about God a whole lot...

Nobody hates your imaginary friend. The people who won't shut up about their imaginary friend though... that's debatable. And that's 100% earned.

Nobody hates your imaginary friend. The people who won't shut up about their imaginary friend though... that's debatable. And that's 100% earned.

I'll believe that when y'all stop posting and making threads about Him...;)

if you asked any atheist "do they want God to exist?" or "After seeing that God doesn't exist, do you wish he did?", most of them would say no, which makes anyone wonder if it's just a clever use of confirmation bias. They don't want God to exist, so they choose to believe that he does, and judge others who do believe.

I'll believe that when y'all stop posting and making threads about Him...;)

If you notice who makes 99% of the threats in this forum, it's the religious. Just saying.

Tell me, when you realized that God doesn't exist, did you deep down want him to? I mean, a God who dishes out divine justice on the evil and reward to the good is well.....a very inviting idea to anyone who is less fortunate.

If you notice who makes 99% of the threats in this forum, it's the religious. Just saying.

99% sounds accurate. All complaining about the horrible atheists.

And you do realize you have the option to ignore them...just sayin'...

Tell me, when you realized that God doesn't exist, did you deep down want him to? I mean, a God who dishes out divine justice on the evil and reward to the good is well.....a very inviting idea to anyone who is less fortunate.

Nope. No interest in anything that is not actually so in demonstrable, objective reality. Wishes and dreams don't mean a thing unless they are actually true. Anyone who thinks otherwise has some serious mental problems.

And you do realize you have the option to ignore them...just sayin'...

On a forum where the whole purpose of being here is to respond to things. Sure. I don't think you comprehend the purpose of DP existing.

Back
Top Bottom